Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mine went up and down same way. Using Jeep as half way point.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8288.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	258244
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Yeah and why I asked the question, cuz those things are darn heavy enough, without having to lift them over 12ft in the air.
So, how did you finally get it up there and the old one down?
I sent him on the roof, I pushed it up the ladder onto the top rung and we both lifted it up from there to the roof. The old one came down in the reverse order. He wanted to strap a strap to it and try to keep it off the RV while pulling it up.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #17

My post on fixing mine

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/roof...ir-448727.html
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #18

I was told by Dometic that unless the AC was installed by an authorized dealer there was No Warranty. the warranty is only two years anyway
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #19

Our rear ac conked out last year. Luckily we had a pack mule to haul the old one down and new one up.
Great to have a burly athletic son. He only required a mum dinner as payment.
Rose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	258253  
ROSE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #20

Funny that this would come up today. My a/c was not blowing cold air. So I had a mobile tech come out today to check it out. As others have stated, it's not really designed to be repaired. You can't recharge it without modifying it. The two year warranty is a joke. It's only valid if you take it to an authorized facility.
So I just bit the bullet and bought a new one on Amazon Prime with one day delivery. The tech will then install it.
We have a big trip planned, so we didn't want to leave it at the dealer for a couple months. We can't do the trip without a/c for the dogs, and us.
The real annoying thing is that the unit is only 16 months old.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I was told by Dometic that unless the AC was installed by an authorized dealer there was No Warranty. the warranty is only two years anyway

That is strange, I installed mine and told Dometic that I did. I got the warranty in writing from Dometic.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:38 AM   #22

Did it myself very easy to do only 4 screws holding it down wires just plug and play, only thing need help putting on roof not that heavy just bulky
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #23

I had a leak in the copper line.. An obvious damaged line that was repaired by the factory when newly built, but their repair only lasted a few years, out of warranty..

My neighbor (hvac guy) brazed up the faulty repair, cut the line ad added a valve, a very simple job..... if you got the knowledge.

I found the required pressure for the unit (google) and he added the freon to that spec..

Trouble free for 8 years!

I added an a/c to my SIL fiver... used a extension ladder for a ramp, wrap a strap around the box, rope on the strap and pulled the unit (still in the box) up the ladder to the roof...

I'm too old to use brute strength anylonger......Now thinking smarter, not harder... No back aches!

Dont over think it! way too simple ...
Old 08-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
I had a leak in the copper line.. An obvious damaged line that was repaired by the factory when newly built, but their repair only lasted a few years, out of warranty..

My neighbor (hvac guy) brazed up the faulty repair, cut the line ad added a valve, a very simple job..... if you got the knowledge.

I found the required pressure for the unit (google) and he added the freon to that spec..

Trouble free for 8 years!

I added an a/c to my SIL fiver... used a extension ladder for a ramp, wrap a strap around the box, rope on the strap and pulled the unit (still in the box) up the ladder to the roof...

I'm too old to use brute strength anylonger......Now thinking smarter, not harder... No back aches!

Dont over think it! way too simple ...
Key work here........HVAC neighbor!
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had two of my Mach 8's replaced this winter. The guys who did it took an extension ladder and leaned it up to the back of my coach at a shallow angle. Then they attached ropes to the old AC and slid it down the ladder. They then did the new ones in reverse. I have had 3 units fail on my coach.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I had two of my Mach 8's replaced this winter. The guys who did it took an extension ladder and leaned it up to the back of my coach at a shallow angle. Then they attached ropes to the old AC and slid it down the ladder. They then did the new ones in reverse. I have had 3 units fail on my coach.
When you say fail, to what extent are you talking about?
I mean, I've repaired both of mine in our three years of ownership and in both cases it was a fairly easy task. The most recent and second one took some figuring and more than one go around, but running great now.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The middle one failed twice due to compressor lock up. The compressor would try to start but just draw excessive current and shut off. The front unit lost its charge and would not cool. First failure replaced under warranty and the second under extended warranty.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote