Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #1

Post Rookie confused - Nadaguide value

Hello. I am searching for a class A MH and checked a couple of dealers in my area. Expensive and old. So I looked online and found one but the dealer said the nadaguide value is $30,000. Super deal? I could get it for $16,000. Checked nadaguide myself and it shows a value of 12,000!? Honestly? How does a dealer getting a much higher value? What do you think? MH: 1998 Four Winds Infinity, 18,500 miles model 33B.

I would make an offer of max. $13,000. ??? And yes. I know it needs TLC and a warranty...
Any advice?? Thanks.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Papaya and . We are glad to have you join us and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
NADA is a guideline and I was always taught that value is what someone is willing to pay for it. I have not looked at NADA in a while but they used to have low and high "values". You would be lucky to get a low NADA "value" offered for a trade in and it is just the opposite if you are looking to buy. They play it like the stock market; buy low, sell high. I am sure others can give better detail.
I would suggest taking our time. Do lots of research and you will find that "pearl" that is right for you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The online NADA RV Guide is based on average depreciation, while the dealers subscription copy uses actual market data, e.g. auction sales prices and such. That means they can be different. The online NADA guide may not, in fact, represent typical selling prices in your area for popular models.

That said, the dealer has probably used the "Options" add-ons in the guide to inflate the price as high as possible. In practice, the options don't really change the used market value much, if any, at all. The NADA price is "as typically equipped" and that includes air conditioners, awnings and such that he has probably listed as "upgrades" in his own pricing.

I don't think the Four Winds would qualify as high-demand brand or model, so I see no particular reason it should sell for much above average. It's main attraction is that it is very affordable. I would suggest making an offer that you feel comfortable with and see what he says. The main RV season is running out and he probably would love to move that coach off his lot.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Remember, the key word is GUIDE. What people will pay for any particular recreation vehicle has nothing to do with what any book says.
vanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Papaya, Welcome to the forum. Like in an earlier post, it is just a guide. If your looking for a deal, buy private.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

Thanks

Hello. Thanks to all of you for the welcoming. I thought so - the dealer is AmericaChoiceRV in Ocala/ FL. As I read the Nada guide information, it shows the model Infinity with his standart gear. I asked yesterday the sales representative how they get to that more as double of the nada value. She didn't know and would check it for me.
I am originally from Germany and had a KNAUS camper trailer to see lots of Europe. Only 7 years here in Canada/North America, my English is still not the best. So sorry if things look sometimes confused when you read it. I keep you guys updated.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think your 13K offer would be more than reasonable. It hasn't always worked but my rule of thumb when making an offer on a used coach is to take the NADA average retail price with no options added and start from there.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #8

When buying a used vehicle of any kind, you are buying what is left. Condition is everything. On a coach that age it is time not miles that matter.

You can have two coaches, one selling at $10,000 and one at $30,000 and the $30,000 coach can be the far better deal. Problem is, you will only find out when you sell it.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Infinity

Update:
I talked again today to the dealer and again they couldn't explain why someone posted on there add that the unit had a Nada value of $30,000 when Nada shows only a value of $12,000.

With all that said, I maid again an offer of $13,000 if the tires are still OK. I got a phone call from a sales manager who said best he can do is $14,995 and I answered again with my $13,000 offer. They can now think about it. I am not in a hurry and the season is over in a couple days.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have made a smart move. There is no hurry - let them think on it for awhile. The chances that somebody else will buy it are slim. And you can always increase your offer later if you feel this is the perfect rig for you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #11

Tires

Hello again.
Update:
Got an email from Stephen who works at America Choice RV. "...The tires are brand new!"
Got another one from Renee. She is the Lady I always talked to and she got now the tires age. There from 2006!! So new tires are needed too. But I can see how much Stephen know about tires. Nothing at all!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Actually Stephen may know a lot about tires but, he is hoping you don't know how to read the code on the side of the tire. If it has tread and they clean it up they are hoping you won't notice it's old. Just remember if an rv salesman's lips are moving he's probably lying and, nowadays that probably extends to email's.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Actually Stephen may know a lot about tires but, he is hoping you don't know how to read the code on the side of the tire. If it has tread and they clean it up they are hoping you won't notice it's old. Just remember if an rv salesman's lips are moving he's probably lying and, nowadays that probably extends to email's.
So, if his fingers are moving, he's lying! Now, your best deal is when you are far away. They have to try hard to get you in there. Start by telling them you are a cash buyer, and that you are ready to deal when come down to reasonable price. If they get closer, send them a refundable deposit, subject to your personal inspection and agreement on price. I would also email Renee and ask her who this lying SOB is, and why is he involved (don't worry about insulting the guy, he doesn't even have skin but rather hide you couldn't pierce with an axe!) Renee, however, sounds reasonable. When she didn't know, she said she didn't and then found out and got back to you. That is what you want.
Anyway, good luck, and don't be afraid to walk away.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #14

Hi papaya, go to PPL.COM there a consingment dealer in Teax, they have all king of rv.
Elmer
elang is offline   Reply With Quote