RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Rookie mistake

I made a huge rookie mistake. I have a 40í Bounder diesel pusher. It has power gear electric levelers. I retracted the levelers but didnít physically look under the coach to make sure they all retracted. No alarms went off and I just had neck surgery a couple of weeks ago and got lazy. Well, the front passenger one did not retract. It destroyed it. Repair shop says 1900 for a new one. Havenít been able to find a used one anywhere. eBay has a set of four for $1200. Has anybody had any luck getting parts for these, instead of having to buy the whole assembly? Expensive mistake on my part that I will not make again.
Lomshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

What brand is the jack?
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Ps: I did the same thing but lucked out with no damage. Have since had to replace all electric jacks. Atwood system, very troublesome , have to buy parts on line , used now
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

I'd get some more opinions. Perhaps try an independent mechanic.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

don't feel too bad, I done the same thing. in my yard I made about 10' long groove through the grass. no damage though
Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

Do most people double check the jacks with a visual inspection or just trust the warning light system. Im guilty of not visually inspecting all the time
Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
Do most people double check the jacks with a visual inspection or just trust the warning light system. Im guilty of not visually inspecting all the time
I wait for the lights to go off and then make a wide circle around the whole rig looking for something out of place. Just eliminates the guessing game after you're on the road.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #8

I used to double check to make sure mine went up but, after owning this coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330HP C-7 CAT for over 7 years, and seeing all four lights go off and knowing that they can't go off unless the jacks are at the top of their travel, I don't check any more. All four must go out before the GREEN light goes on for the TRAVEL MODE.

So, I'm kinda surprised that there is no alarm system for the OPs jacks, telling him they're not stowed for travel. If I recall, our Power Gear system in our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the V-10, also had an alarm system that notified the driver that the system was now in the TRAVEL MODE.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post

Yes, I always do a final departure walk around. Bay doors, toad, jacks etc.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf View Post
Yes, I always do a final departure walk around. Bay doors, toad, jacks etc.
Same here. It may not be necessary, but it gives me peace of mind. I start the engine and raise the jacks. Then I do a final walk-around looking for soft tires, bays not locked, items left out, etc. It's easy enough to look at the jacks on that final walk-around.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I wait for the lights to go off and then make a wide circle around the whole rig looking for something out of place. Just eliminates the guessing game after you're on the road.
What he said
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #12

I always check the jacks visually in my pre-departure walk-around. I don't trust the light, bells, or warning whistles. Plus, I'm getting out to do a final check on everything anyway.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeears View Post
What brand is the jack?
They are Power Gear levelers.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

It does have alarms and lights on the control panel. The lights are not always accurate, which is one reason I always checked visually. The alarm was not beeping, not sure why. I read on other forums these particular jacks are notorious for failure but we haven’t even taken a trip in this coach yet so if I find there are problems then I will think about upgrading. This was totally my fault though, I should have checked. Like someone said earlier, mechanical things fail.