Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #29

We use a Roomba (pet specific one from Costco) in our 2 story house. When it is done with the upstairs it comes to the top of the stairs and stops. It has never fallen down the stairs.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We've had one in the sticks and bricks for about 3 years, and we love it. I run it in the coach the night before we leave. If I could figure an out of the way Location for it in the coach, it would definitely go along. I would appreciate your Rumba RV storage solutions?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Which model roomba are you guys using? There seem to be a bunch of models...is the base model workable?

I was considering this option as well (I do like gadgets!)

Dave-Oh

The #1 thing for us was a model with a remote control. Why,? When it stops under the king size bed in the sticks and bricks, it is a real hassle to get it out!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
on earlier models they had an accessory that basically was a 'do not enter' line the roomba's would avoid...

presume they still have that or at least programming to account for it..
Old 11-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #33

My wife decided she just had to have one. I voted no, she voted yes. And now, 7 months later, it just sits and collects dust,....and I say nothing. IMO there was no way that something that small could do the job that has always called for a much larger unit.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Which model roomba are you guys using? There seem to be a bunch of models...is the base model workable?

I was considering this option as well (I do like gadgets!)

Dave-Oh
Roomba's got 'good' at the 500 series (535, 536, 545 etc etc).
The 500, 600 and 700 series all use the same components, they have some external differences and different accessories, but are essentially the same. (I buy used/defective, fix, and resell these things for a little extra spending money - so I've been inside LOTS of them).
The 800 series is a step up, and of course more money.
I expect the 900 series is also another step up, but I haven't had a chance to tear into one.
Oddly, they have a 2000 series that is actually the oldest of their lines - stay away from those, iRobot was still working on getting things right with those. Basically, if it has a built in scheduler then it's one of the 'good' ones.

As has been remarked, these things can be hard on their batteries. Figure you'll get about a year or so on a new battery before it starts obviously having a short run cycle.

To help with the battery life:
Don't buy the cheapest batteries you can find, there really is a difference. (But you don't need to buy the really expensive iRobot brand either)

Don't let Roomba sit off the charger for days at at time. Even when not running there is a drain on the battery as Roomba keeps it's memory 'warm', so it'll completely drain the battery when off the charger - which of course is very bad for a battery. If you want/need to have it sit for several weeks remove the battery.

USE the Roomba, the best thing for the battery is for the Roomba to be used as regularly as possible.

As has also been commented, the Neato brand is a good option too. I use Neatos in my house and a Roomba in the RV. Due to the way these things navigate a room the Roomba does better in the RV (it will go into smaller places than a Neato will). I personally feel that a Neato does a bit better job of cleaning (others I'm sure feel differently), but either is a good choice. When camping at the beach (we're in Florida), either is MUCH better than having to sweep or vacuum each day to keep the sand on the floor to a minimum.
The battery hints for a Roomba also apply to a Neato.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
on earlier models they had an accessory that basically was a 'do not enter' line the roomba's would avoid...

presume they still have that or at least programming to account for it..
They call that a Virtual Wall, it sends an infrared signal which the Roomba won't cross. Yes they still have them for all of their robots - each series uses a different VW, so they are not interchangeable.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
... If I could figure an out of the way Location for it in the coach, it would definitely go along. I would appreciate your Rumba RV storage solutions?
I suspect that greatly depends on the floor plan of of your coach, and how you use it.
Ours is directly behind the co-pilot's seat, that makes it be out of the way about 90% of the time, which I figure is the best I could expect.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #37

I don't get it... it must appeal to those that like gadgets.

A RV doesn't have much floor space. It takes 10 minutes to vacuum with a regular vacuum and the vacuum has attachments to get behind things and in tight corners.

The attachments can clean upholstery, clean the crevices at the bottom of the windows, get into the bathroom good around the toilet, clean carpet and hard surface, get around the driver's seat area, behind the recliners, do the stairs, get dead night bugs along the window of the dash, vacuum the window coverings, vacuum the bays and suck up those nasty lady bug beetles that some states have.

A Roomba can't do that. I guess we're a little more particular when we clean.

Help me to understand the appeal? Just to clean the main walkway?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:24 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I freely admit that I'm a gadget guy! I've worked in I.T. for 20-some years so I guess it's just part of me by now.
I heartily agree that none of these robotic cleaners can clean as well as a 'real' vacuum. We get out a vacuum and give the RV a good cleaning after every camping trip, getting into the corners and whatnot where a Roomba can't go.

I suspect it makes a difference where you camp.
We tend to camp at or very near a beach, therefore sandy feet in the RV is a regular occurrence (we're usually barefoot, so taking off our shoes doesn't apply). If we were to camp at places that are paved, or even had grass sites rather than sand sites we might approach this differently.

For ME it is indeed just about keeping the main walkway clean, and by extension the furniture and the sheets on the bed (sand from the floor stuck to our feet and going wherever it is our feet go).
I'd much rather push the button on a Roomba as we walk out the door to go 'do' something, then come back to a clean(ish) floor - than to have to mess with cleaning the floor as often as we do with the Roomba. When we're beach camping it's not unusual to run the Roomba 2 or 3 times a day (more if it happens to be raining, it's damned near impossible to get wet sand off your feet). It seems like no matter how much we wipe our feet while standing outside on the steps sand just follows us in.

So twogypsies, I agree with everything you said. There are lots of places these things can't go, especially once you start talking about window sills and the basement trays. They are only good for the main floor area - and not great in the corners even then.
All the same, it would make me very cranky to have someone take away my robot vacuums, because they save me lots of time and effort in keeping the floors as clean as I'd like.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't get it... it must appeal to those that like gadgets.

A RV doesn't have much floor space. It takes 10 minutes to vacuum with a regular vacuum and the vacuum has attachments to get behind things and in tight corners.

The attachments can clean upholstery, clean the crevices at the bottom of the windows, get into the bathroom good around the toilet, clean carpet and hard surface, get around the driver's seat area, behind the recliners, do the stairs, get dead night bugs along the window of the dash, vacuum the window coverings, vacuum the bays and suck up those nasty lady bug beetles that some states have.

A Roomba can't do that. I guess we're a little more particular when we clean.

Help me to understand the appeal? Just to clean the main walkway?
Reading the thread, it sounds like a lot of them are used for the constant pet hair.

Tags
irobot roomba