Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rotate Tires, change oil, grease job

Took advantage of the nice weather today and rotated the tires. I move the front ones to the rear, and get two new tires for the front. ( I get two tires every 3 years and put the new tires on the front)

I won't purchase the new front tires until late fall when I get ready to hit the road for the winter.

While I had the tires off, I inspected the brakes. Also checked the manifold bolts on the headers. And changed the oil and did a grease job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire_Rotation.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	283458  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #2

Just make sure both dual tires are within 1/8" in diameter, otherwise https://www.truckinginfo.com/154830/...-tires-at-once
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:10 AM   #3

Interesting diagram. The manual for my 2007 chassis says to only swap sides, not front to back, and keep the inner duals in the inside.

Maybe this is because of what Ray cautioned about having disimilar diameters on the duals.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
This method of rotation does a few things, These are 19.5 inch tires, all six tires are same size.

The tires continue to rotate in the same direction throughout their entire life.

The tire on the inside of the dullies gets less UV exposure, so the last three years of its life it gets minimal exposure.

Buying 2 new tires every three years helps spread out the cost of tires.

The front steer tires will always be newer, less than three years old.

Tire diameter differences between dullies is minimal. Driving an average of 5k - 7,500 miles a year, the tires still have significant tread after 9 years when they are removed from service.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #5

If you move a 15-20k wear front tires to the rear, they would not be at the same diameter as the older 30-40k tires. You could compensate by running the swapped tires at 5 PSI less. The best method would be to paint a white line across the thread and check out the wear after a 5-20 mile drive. Also the removed 2 tires are now 9 years old?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #6

Here's what Michelin says about tire rotation - rather than guessing...

Tire Rotation
If correct pressure and proper alignment are both continually maintained, tire rotation may never be needed. However, in other cases, tire rotation may be needed to help even out wear patterns caused by alignment, underinflation, or free-rolling wear problems. Follow the motorhome manufacturer’s rotation service recommendations. There are no restrictions as to the method of rotation with the MICHELIN® RV tires;however, Michelin recommends including the spare tire in the rotation pattern and changing the direction of rotation. Tires can be rotated front to rear and side to side. If using directional tires, ensure tires are mounted to rotate in proper direction as it may contribute to premature wear.

This is right from the Michelin publication;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf michelin.pdf (1.72 MB, 14 views)
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I buy 2 new tires every three years. The only reason I rotate is to put the new tires on the steer axle.

I've never had any issues with tread wear, The tires I retire after 9 years still have 3/4 their original tread left. They'd probably be OK to use on a farm wagon for another 10 or 20 years.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I never rotate the front tires. only replace them.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I never rotate the front tires. only replace them.
Thats exactly what I do. The old front tires get moved to the rear, then the oldest rear tires get replaced with new tires, and these get mounted on the front.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #10

My tires only get rotated when I'm driving the coach (smile).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Just make sure both dual tires are within 1/8" in diameter, otherwise https://www.truckinginfo.com/154830/...-tires-at-once
Interesting and good information … thanks!
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I do lots of maintenance on this beast, but I'm not rotating any tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I do lots of maintenance on this beast, but I'm not rotating any tires.
Ditto! I'll likely do what others have mentioned - buying 2 tires at a time (easier to budget), and placing them on front axle every 5 years or so. and moving the old ones to rear.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires