Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rough impact on highway seams bridge seams

I just installed koni shocks. Great for side sway etc really nice but I seem to take harder licks dealing with seams and bridge changes... have been told go up in air pressure been told go down in air pressure. 2005 fleetwood expedition 38N diesel Michelin tires???? I usually run 95 psi in fronts...some say shocks will break in??? Help!!! Glenb
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glen, I replaced the shocks on the Windsor with the Bilsteins three or four years ago. I didn't notice any difference in how it took the divider lines at first, but it did seem to get better with time! Hopefully the Konis will be the same!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

Glen,

Have you ever weighed the coach and then looked up the pressure for that axle weight? I have seen this a lot, I even has a guy at tire store tell me that the tires should be kept at the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. That is simply not true. They should be inflated for the load that they are carrying.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sumo's

I have found that Sumo Springs help solve that problem. Our coach still launches upward at the bridge transition, but she comes down soft and comfortable.

Actually I have had to stop expecting the "big bang" when she lands, but there is none after Sumo's.

For what its worth.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Which Koni shocks did you get? The adjustable red ones or the FSD gold ones?
The FSD's are designed for Motorhomes. I put a set on and didn't notice any difference in the small bumps but a big difference in controlling the the porpoising.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't have the adjustable koni for my unit wish they had....tks
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

There is also a series call Koni EVO 99. I'm getting them next spring.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have installed the Koni FSB's on our FRED chassis. We live on Cape Cod. Only two wats off and both use bridges. The first thing my wife noticed was no more bang at the expansion joints. I have Bridgestone tires at 100 psi front and 110 psi in the rears.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Shocks actually have little to do with how bumps feel to the passengers. Their purpose is to control porpoising and keep the tires in contact with the road while the suspension moves.

If you are feeling the bumps excessively, get the coach weighed (by axle or by tire) and optimize the tire pressure for the load. That will have the most direct benefit.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Shocks actually have little to do with how bumps feel to the passengers. Their purpose is to control porpoising and keep the tires in contact with the road while the suspension moves.

If you are feeling the bumps excessively, get the coach weighed (by axle or by tire) and optimize the tire pressure for the load. That will have the most direct benefit.

Gary is 100% right. On a heavy coach with air suspension, the shock will have very little influence on the sharp "hits" to the coach. I have a friend who took the shocks completely off his coach & take it out for a drive. In his opinion, he could feel no real change to the first hit or compression of the air bag. The shock's primary function is to dampen and stop the rebound.

Check ride height and adjust tire pressure to support the weight on that position. The tire's on an axle must be at the same pressure so adjust to the heavy end.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #11

Such contradictions. All these DP owners are always saying how wonderful they ride with air suspensions etc and now it sounds like they are not much better than my lowly gasser.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #12

We had a ride height valve going bad and front of coach was low. When I hit certain bridge seams it hit hard, so hard I thought the windshield was going to fall out on occasion. Check your ride height and see if it's low.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #13

Sorry for the confusion, Dez, but the subject is shocks. The air ride system is MUCH smoother than steel springs.

The "dampers", or shock absorbers don't really control shocks, they control rebound. That means that if you hit a bump, the coach will rise up to go over it and then drop back down again, bounce up again, and down, and up, and down.............like a rubber ball. The shock absorbers add friction to the motion so that the bouncing damps down sooner. That continuing bouncing motion is called "porpoising" after the sea creatures that swim with that motion. Shocks do not make the bumps less severe, they just stop the residual motion.

The fact is, that shocks ADD to the bump, because they resist the motion of the suspension. Typically they are designed to resist the rebound motion much more than the compression motion but they do resist. The result is that spending lots of money for fancy shocks will do little to smooth out bumps, but it will make your wallet lighter.

Now, it's important to note that the overall feel of the drive can be greatly improved with the right shocks. Worn out or misapplied shocks can leave you bouncing around, wobbling along a crooked path and in general hating the drive.

I don't sell shocks, but I am considering new ones us for our coach. We currently have Bilsteins, but I don't know the age. When we get stopped for the winter, I'll look into it more.

Sorry about the Sunday morning ramblings...............

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote