Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Angry Rough riding motorhome

I have a 1997 Beaver Montery. It is in reasonably good shape. Everything works fine and the Cat engine is strong and gets reasonably good milage.
The only problem I really have is how it rides on the highway.i. On long trips it really wears me down. I feel and hear every little bump and break in the road. I can ever feel the texture of the road surface. It causes the Motorhome to make all kinds of noises. I can not hear the radio it is so loud and rough. Everything looks o.k. I bought new tires with the hopes that it would make a difference. It had an off named Chinese tire. I installed top of the line Toyo tires that everyone I spoke to who use them swore by them. But it didn't make a difference.
The only thing I can think of is that it probably has the original shocks absorbers on it. I do not know if they would make that much of a difference as that is a big expenditure for me. Can anybody give me some advise??? John at RanchoT@msn.com
RanchoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a problem might be the tire pressure. Are the tires inflated to the pressure on the side of the tire?

Weigh the coach axles at a weigh scale. Check the tire inflation charts for your tires and inflate accordingly.

Some will go one pressure up to accommodate a difference in side to side loading on each axle, other add 5 - 10 lbs as a cushion.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are your air springs inflating and not leaking?
I had one air spring,most people call them air bags, leaking and it caused the front end to hit the bump stops on every little crack in the road. I nursed it home, 500 miles then put new air springs and shocks on.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

At just under 100,000 miles, our coach (98 Monaco Windsor) had worn out its second set of shocks. On the passenger side, three of the four shocks had no resistance at all.

We have also replaced the suspension bushings on the front, which also helped to improve the ride.

Matt B
Old 08-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Your ride description fits my Beaver exactly when my air suspension was not working. It was a problem in the controller itself. Thats where I would look. Your year may not have air suspension. If not, I would look at shocks and whatever kind of springs you have. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

Check your tire pressure, it sounds like it is too high.
When I drove mine home after purchase it too wandered all over especially if there are grooves on the road. Not to mention the fatigue after correcting tire pressure it was a totally different animal.
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

I do not know but suspect that I have the original shocks. I bought it used a few years back. I had to replace the front air bags and at that time I replaced all the leveling valves. I have 2 year old Toyo tires so they should be o.k. I had the drive line angle set so that I new where to set the rear air bags pressure. After replacing the front air bags, I set the front air bag pressure so that the coach sits level. I measued the height from ground to the center of the rear wheel wells and set the front to the same height which is 37.5 inches. I have tried various tire pressures. I was setting the backs to 98 and the front to 95, now I have set the back at 95 and the front to 100 per the Beaver coach sticker. Nothing has helped. I'm afraid to lower tire pressure to much as that tends to cause the tires to over heat? Could the shocks make that much differance? What are the front bushings you refer to?
Thanks for you input, any help you can give me will be gratefully accepted as I am at a loss of what to do with this motorhome. John at RanchoT@msn.com
Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #8

I may have the original shocks, I don't know as I bought the motorhome a few years ago and as it had not been used much. It had 33,000 miles on it but it was also 17 years old. I have replaced both of the front air bags and installed new levelers all around as they were leaking air. I ended up setting the coach to level. When I had some rear end work done I had freightliner set the rear height so the drive line angle was correct. So after putting in the new front air bags, I set the front to be level with the back. I measured the middle of the rear wheel wells to ground and set the front to the same height, which ended up to be 37.5 inches. I put new Toyo tires on about two years ago. Could bad shocks cause such a terrible ride and what are the front bushings that you refer to? I have tried various tire pressuers. I set the tires air pressure to the Beaver sticker value which is 95 rear and 100 front with negative results. I tried 100 rear and 95 front with the same results. I am afraid to lower the pressure to much because that tends to cause the tires to over heat.
I really appreciate your response, any help I get will be greatly appreciated.
John at RanchoT@msn.com
Old 08-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

I have air bags. Both front front air bags were replaced right after I bought it. I bought it a few years back. It had 33,000 miles on it but it was 17 years old. I also replaced all the air levelers as thel leaked air. It also had a rear differential issue that required me to replace the gear set. At the time I had freightliner set the rear height so the drive shaft angle was correct. After replacing the front air bags I set the air pressure in them so the motorhome was level. I did this by measuing the height to ground in the middle of the year wheel wells and then set the front to the same height which turned out to be 37.5 inches. I have also replaced the tires with a set of new Toyo's. I have tinkered with the tire air pressure but have not made any improvement. The Beaver sticker says 95lbs rear and 100lbs front, this did not make any differance. I tried lowering the front tire pressure to 95lbs and that did not help either.
I apprecate your feedback, any thing that can save this motorhome is welcome. Thanks John at RanchoT@msn.com
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #10

You said you leveled your coach with your air bags. How much pressure is in the bags? You may have them way to hard.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoT View Post
I do not know but suspect that I have the original shocks. I bought it used a few years back. I had to replace the front air bags and at that time I replaced all the leveling valves. I have 2 year old Toyo tires so they should be o.k. I had the drive line angle set so that I new where to set the rear air bags pressure. After replacing the front air bags, I set the front air bag pressure so that the coach sits level. I measued the height from ground to the center of the rear wheel wells and set the front to the same height which is 37.5 inches. I have tried various tire pressures. I was setting the backs to 98 and the front to 95, now I have set the back at 95 and the front to 100 per the Beaver coach sticker. Nothing has helped. I'm afraid to lower tire pressure to much as that tends to cause the tires to over heat? Could the shocks make that much differance? What are the front bushings you refer to?
Thanks for you input, any help you can give me will be gratefully accepted as I am at a loss of what to do with this motorhome. John at RanchoT@msn.com
No idea about your year of coach but...what you did above may be your problem. On my coach and every Beaver/Monaco I am aware of the airbag height is set using the actual height of the bag from top to bottom ( a little more complicated). If you are setting it wrong you may be basically making your suspension inoperative. I would find an expert on Beavers and find out for sure. It may be in your manual also, it is in mine. Mine specifies 10 inches. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome