Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Route some grey water to black water tank?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Most of us fill our grey water tank before the black. I wish I could route some of my grey water into my black water tank.

Has anyone made a modification to do this?

For example, have my shower drain go to the black tank.

Thanks, Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
To me, it would be nice to have a 2 way valve, could have the shower dump into the black or the gray, depending where you are camping, and what capacity you have excess of.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
When the gray tank starts filling we wash our dishes in a plastic tub and take that gray water and dump it in the toilet. When the weather's nice and the space allows we take Sun Showers outside.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triatik View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before. Most of us fill our grey water tank before the black. I wish I could route some of my grey water into my black water tank.
Has anyone made a modification to do this?
For example, have my shower drain go to the black tank.
Thanks, Dave
Triatik
We have the opposite problem.

As built by Safari Motor Coach Corporation the bathroom sink in my coach drains into the black tank.
Unless we're careful the 50 gallon black tank will usually fill faster/sooner than the 50 gallon grey.

I often wish it went into the grey, however we have lived with it for 17 years, (120k miles).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I think it is accomplished by adding a twist on RV waste valve in between your sewer valve connection and sewer hose. Costs around $25. I googled combine black and grey tank RV and got several YouTube videos. I have seen one by gonewiththewynns.
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2129 View Post
I think it is accomplished by adding a twist on RV waste valve in between your sewer valve connection and sewer hose. Costs around $25. I googled combine black and grey tank RV and got several YouTube videos. I have seen one by gonewiththewynns.
That twist on valve allows one to equalize waste tanks......move water from higher level tank to a tank with a lower level.

Close the twist on valve and then open other waste tank drains....liquids will then equalize (find their common level) between the tanks.

I have a common drain header on my 5th wheel. I installed another drain valve on that common header (twist on hangs to low , adds extra unsupported weight to end of drain line and couldn't be left on when in transit).
With the extra drain valve I can tie the two grey tanks (grey/galley) together cause galley fills FAST.
I can tie grey/black or galley/black together or I can tie all three together for combined total of 128 gallons of waste water capacity.

Now folks will get all upset.......black and grey tied together.....OH the Horror!
Rvs use to have only ONE waste tank.
Waste is waste......grey stinks worst than black
Drain when FULL...whoosh affect and stuff gets carried out
They are WASTE tanks.....get dirty next time used.

I have done this 'mod' on last 3 trailers. Great for boondocking as you have control over waste water capacities

Twist on........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have an extra shut off valve and have used it a couple of times on my last Southwind and now on the Newmar. Keep the extra valve shut , open the grey and then black, the tanks then equalize. Gives me an extra day dry camping. With the extra valve you can also back flush the black tank with soapy grey water when dumping. Just dump black tank shut off extra valve open grey and that water will go into black.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 AM   #8

Thanks for this great idea on how to get more time by sharing the waste waters. I will check that I have room in my sewer bay, then stop and pick up one of these valves.

Dave
Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That twist on valve allows one to equalize waste tanks......move water from higher level tank to a tank with a lower level.

Close the twist on valve and then open other waste tank drains....liquids will then equalize (find their common level) between the tanks.

I have a common drain header on my 5th wheel. I installed another drain valve on that common header (twist on hangs to low , adds extra unsupported weight to end of drain line and couldn't be left on when in transit).
With the extra drain valve I can tie the two grey tanks (grey/galley) together cause galley fills FAST.
I can tie grey/black or galley/black together or I can tie all three together for combined total of 128 gallons of waste water capacity.

Now folks will get all upset.......black and grey tied together.....OH the Horror!
Rvs use to have only ONE waste tank.
Waste is waste......grey stinks worst than black
Drain when FULL...whoosh affect and stuff gets carried out
They are WASTE tanks.....get dirty next time used.

I have done this 'mod' on last 3 trailers. Great for boondocking as you have control over waste water capacities

Twist on........
This is a simple inexpensive fix that works great and we have done this for years. You're absolutely correct that waste is waste. Some people have a real phobia about this but don't have a problem with all their stick house drains hooked up to the same sewer pipe as their toilet. All I can figure out is they're ignorant of how plumbing works. Many manufactures of bath and a half motorhomes are now hooking up sinks and toilets to the same waste tank.

I think the reason they are separated in the first place is so that when you are at a full hookup site you can leave your grey water valve open for taking long showers but keep the black valve closed to build up enough liquids to do a complete draining of the solids when emptying the black tank.

We can stay at a water and electric site only for about twice as long with this simple addition before needing to dump.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water