Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rt. 441 through Great Smokey Mountains

OK to travel 441 thru GMS from Waynesville, NC to Seveirville, TN in a Class A with toad. Mapquest recommends I-40 however 441 looks more scenic.
Ed
Alexandria, VA
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I've driven it all the way in a car, but I think it would be too much for your rig.
Long steep climbs and descents, narrowish roads, lots of traffic. I have a 40' dp
pulling an Explorer, I went around. And I'm glad I did. Yeah, you could do it,
but it would be real hard on the equipment and you. If someone else does something stupid, you have few options.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

I believe the traffic is still messed up on I40 because of new rock slides. Better check before going that way. Normally I would also go the I40 route. 441 is two lane, twisty, steep, and clogged with tourists,
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

I travel through the smokey mountains pulling a ford expedition absolutely no problems with my c-9 cat. pushing cars up and down the mountain I set my tranny in third. When I had my 2004 HR with ford v10 I would take my car off at cherokee and have my wife or son drive it across, to much for it.I do not go through gatlinburg I take the by pass to pigeon forge the roads are to narrow. To me it's a lot better drive than going around on I-40.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ehc,
I've done this many times. 40' DP with 5300 lb vehicle in tow. Between Cherokee and Gatlinburg you'll be going only 25-30 MPH. There is usually quite a bit of tourist traffic. It is a nice ride the first couple of times. If you go, take the bypass around Gatlinburg. Gas or diesel, there should be no problem because traffic will keep the speed down.

I own property in Sevierville and my son lives in Charlotte. I travel the route so often I've morphed into going the I40 route, just so I can use cruise control and drive brain dead. The GMC knows the way.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #6

Update to I40 road conditions:
TDOT: I-40 rock slide cleared, one westbound lane to stay closed for more work » Knoxville News Sentinel
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx...We will be in that area this summer and will at one point have to travel from the north side of the SNP (321 / I-40) Gatlinburg to the southern side to the Smokemont campground using east bound lanes of I-40. If they still have construction going on, or there is yet another rock slide, what is the best time of day to travel ? Tuesday is the day we travel from north to south. I will not do route 441, especially since I have never been there before.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Superslif,
That area is known for morning fog. I you can time your travel to be in that area after say 10 AM, there should be no fog.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A beautiful road, and if just passing thru and gone i'd consider it.

When staying in the area, it is a drive for the toad.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
ehc

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. We will be attending a Thor Diesel Club rally in Seveirville, Tn in May and am trying to do a little Prior Planning.
Ed
Alexandria, VA
ehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #11

I live in Cherokee County, North Carolina Marble to be exact. I have a 35 ft Class A and a tow dolly with a Toyota Venza in tow. I have driven over and back with no problem. Beautiful SLOW ride. enjoy, you will be glad you did.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #12

We have driven it both ways with our DP and never had a problem. Really enjoyable drive.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote