Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

Rubber roof life?

I am looking at used class A's around 2001 to 2004. I have heard that TPU/EDM roofs generally last 15-20 years.

I have seen 1 or 2 MHs so far with original roofs that seem like they are in good shape: feels solid, no black showing through etc...

If its a 2002, with an original rubber roof, should I assume that the roof will require replacement now or very soon just because of the age?

Also, if the roof is old but still seems like its in good shape, can I just re-coat it once a year to prevent leaks or is there a limit to how long you can do that?
6munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You might look at something like this!

https://crazyseal.com/?source=rvtravel
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You might look at something like this!

https://crazyseal.com/?source=rvtravel
This is a good solution to know about. I am wondering how well it would work on bare wood. If I was ever going to do something like this on an old roof, I think that I would want the old roof torn off first as the whole thing would still be attached to 16-18 year old adhesive under the TPO. I also have heard lots of bad reviews of RV armor so I wonder how well this would work compared to this? Everyone seems to recommend the more expensive spray on solution. I think its flex armor.
6munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #4

12 years here with a epdm roof. No issues, just a mild soap and water wash a couple of times a year. They don't absorb anything, so treatments are useless, the most important thing is keeping abrasives (dirt) off it. The white is a pigment added, so even if you see black, it doesn't mean it's "bad", just that the pigment is gone.
phnguyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #5

The material itself isn't going to leak (even close to 20 years old) unless it's torn, or extremely neglected over the years. Seams and roof fixtures always need sealant (Dicor). They're the number one reason for "leaks". Coatings are a bandaid/cosmetic cover up imo.
phnguyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnguyk1 View Post
12 years here with a epdm roof. No issues, just a mild soap and water wash a couple of times a year. They don't absorb anything, so treatments are useless, the most important thing is keeping abrasives (dirt) off it. The white is a pigment added, so even if you see black, it doesn't mean it's "bad", just that the pigment is gone.

I agree completely. Our roof is 13 years old and is in great shape. I think the 20 year figure comes from the Manufactures wanting to hedge on overstating how long their roofs will last. There is no reason the roof should not last as long as you make sure to keep all joints properly sealed with Dicor lap sealant or other products that perform a similar function.

The main area to focus on is if there are any soft spots on the roof (walk over the entire roof looking for soft spots) and make sure no water stains on the ceiling which might imply old leaks but are worth confirming they have been fixed. A good question would be if they were fixed why were the spots left on the ceiling?
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

The 18 year old rubber roof on my DutchStar is still white and does not leak. I just wash it twice a year and use Dicor and Eterna Bond.
GaRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The manufacturers only claim around 10-12 years, roughly the membrane warranty period. As others have said, the membrane isn't what leaks - it's the seams and protrusions through it (vents and such). An EPDM or TPO roof ought to last 12-15 years with no care at all (but will look ugly) and can easily last 20-30 years with a bit of routine care, but climate conditions can cause a wide variation in that. Acid rain or smoke stack residue, for example.

When looking at a 2002 roof (or any other component of the RV), condition is paramount. If it's still in good shape, it probably has plenty of life left. Age alone is not the determining factor. For a roof membrane, look for tears, gouges or scuffs that have damaged the surface, and places where the fabric backing is showing through. You also should be looking for signs of water penetration along seams and protrusions, but that's a caulking/sealing issue rather than the roof membrane itself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV is 20 years old and the EPDM roof is still in pretty good shape. I've maintained the caulking and seals, and resealed the roof with Dicor (original maufacturer).

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rub...ml#post5111424
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I agree with everything said so far. Our prior Bounder's TPO roof was in excellent condition when we traded it in in 2018. I also feel the fact our coach's roof was not exposed to elements/sun at all during winter storage (6 mo out of the year) as we put a cover on it from '06-'09 & from '10 on it was under an RV port 24/7/365. Weather & UV rays can do a lot to age a roof membrane.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof