Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rubber Roof Sealant?

I need input on what type sealant to use on these items...my satellite antenna sealant has a hole in the sealant, the local antenna has some cracks and a couple of the other roof penetrations for the exhaust fans have cracks in them.

Super Dave (Whem2fish) inspected them while he was up replacing my rear A/C fan & capacitor. (Thanks Again Dave!)

I want to get this done before the next rain!

I've been told to use the Dicor Self Leveling Sealant:

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant - White - Dicor 501LSW-1 - Roof Maintenance & Repair - Camping World

Thoughts/advice please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951366.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	47024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG955591.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	47025  

Name:	IMG950552.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	47026  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Community Administrator

That's what I would use.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Me too! Clean the existing sealant with turpentine-dampened rag first. This removes the hardened and dirty surface layer of sealant, leaving a clean surface for an overlay of new sealant. Turpentine is NOT a petroleum product, so it may be used near rubber roofs.
Another option is to use Eternabond.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Kent, when I needed to do some roof sealing I called Dicor. They told me that the 502LSW flows better than the 501LSW. I bought it and it works great! I resealed all my large openings such as skylights, vents, etc. with 4" Eternabond.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dicor 4 sure. Self leveling on the roof but not around windows, it will flow down the wall if used on vertical surfaces.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Dicor 4 sure. Self leveling on the roof but not around windows, it will flow down the wall if used on vertical surfaces.
That is where you use their non-sag sealant.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only place I can find that stuff is at Camping World!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Why does the Dicor Lap Sealant have petroleum distillates when the rubber roof manufacturers say 'no petroleum distillates' ??????????

Just found out my answer:

Quote:
Why does your Lap Sealant contain petroleum distillates, yet you tell people not to use products containing petroleum distillates?
The petroleum distillate used in our lap Sealant is used strictly in the curing process. As the material cures, the petroleum distillate evaporates. When we say not to use petroleum distillates on the roof we mean products that sit on the roof (cleaners, conditioners, UV resistors, etc).
No I feel better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG951299.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	47056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952109.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	47057  

Name:	IMG951758.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	47058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG958802.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	47059  

Name:	IMG_20131002_144002_650.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	47060  
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #9

Stay away from Dicor, it's just plain junk! Been Re-Sealing RV's for over 20 years and tried just about every brand of sealant out there. Now I can't tell you what we use today as that is our secret, but I will tell you there are good sealants and crap sealants, and most are about the same price - so it's not always the most expensive that's the best. One thing I've learned is the sealants marketed towards RV's are the one's to stay away from. Any sealant company or manufacture of the RV that says it should be Re-Sealed once or twice a year doesn't know what good sealants are.

Now if you're in my area (The Rainy Northwest) you can stop by & I'll hook you up with the good stuff! If you're not you can call me or e-mail me (jim@infinitycoach.com) and I can ship it to you. I just don't like to share all my info over the internet forums.....

I would use roof tape as a semi-permanent solution before I'd ever use Dicor.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HOW TO: Prevent RV Roof Leaks (Dicor Maintenance) - YouTube

At the end they say 'over the years, a well taken care of roof will have several layers and spotty patchwork but no leaks inside the rv'

Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

LOL

Thanks for the laugh's! Band-Aid's are great for stopping the blood.... If you want to be up there every couple of months then go for it, if not then strip & re-seal. Get as much of the old off as possible without doing damage, tape out the edges and re-apply. The better the finished product looks, the better chance you've done a good job. Shortcuts only work when time is at an essence..
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #12

I use the Dicor lap seal for all of my roof sealing needs. Including the hardware. It does eventually dry out and get a peel going. So I gently cut out the peeling parts and use ISO-alcohol as my cleaner... turpentine was mentioned...but all too often mineral turpentine is added and that is a petroleum product and will soften and eat into the rubber roof material. I let the alcohol evaporate a bit to help dry out any leak that was established.... then on goes the lap seal. It will set up in a few hours and be completely cured in a day or so. Works great.... and if you get a tear on the roof material... EternaBond tape is like magic. It comes in different widths.... and when you apply it... it will be there forever.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wondered about alcohol Gocoffer. Why it wouldn't work just as well. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #14

LincolnBoy... I have a MH that was owned by several people in the past and the roof was just never maintained. When I bought the rig I went at the roof first...and have made it a priority. After cleaning ....coating and sealing ...reading and re-reading everything that people offered as advice. I have summed to use Alcohol ( ISO Propyl 90%) as my cleaner for sealing areas and getting leaking locations dried out. The Dicor Lap Seal ...standard part of my maintenance kit along with a 10foot roll of Eterna Bond tape. Every time I go up on the roof to clean.... I inspect.... if I find a tear or even suspect something.... clean and seal
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal