Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

rubber vs fiberglass

I another thread it is talking about how to repair a fiberglass roof when it becomes separated from the side caused by wind. This happened to us last Sunday night on the way home. The roof peeled back from the front to the back along the drivers side and was standing up against the AC. My insurance adjuster said get it fixed. The only repair shops locally only install rubber roofs and do not work on fiberglass. My question is should I go ahead and let them install a new rubber roof or not? What's the advantage of each. I have an appointment next Tuesday for a estimate. This is a Older 1992 Winnebago Adventure that was in good shape. We have only put about 3000 miles on it since we have had it ( 2months). There is a possiblity that they might total it out. Hope not. I did not want to hi-jack someone else's thread so this is why I started this one. Thanks
REDEYE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Call Winnebago and ask them about repairs. If the roof is intact, then you or a shop should be able to glue it back down and then replace the caulk all the way around. If the roof is really damaged, you might be able to get it reroofed at Winnebago.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The new BRITE-TEX roofs last over 15 to 20 years if taken care of properly.
You now know the advantage of a fiberglass roof if taken care of and all seals around it are sealed correctly will last as long or longer than the other.
Once seals are broken any little air will work its way under fiberglass and open it further and ripe it back as you are now. If the FG has no cracks in it at fold it can be placed back to its original position and sealed.
A 90's coach has a lot of seals that should have been resealed by now to prevent water entry and what you have run into,
Good luck in your decision RV's can be expensive if maintenance of up keep fails.

A NEW ROOF
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Redeye50,

Having had both, I myself, would never EVER have another rubber roof coach. While you do read of your type of incident every now and then, it's not a very common occurrence. Any, ANY fiberglass shop, boat repair shop and body shop that's good with fiberglass could have that repaired in a heartbeat. Just because one shop is clueless, doesn't mean they all are. There are zillions of Rubber roofed coaches out there and are not having problems. But, there are also a few zillion fiberglass roofed coaches that also are having zero problems.

The key, like has been talked about a few times on here and other RV forums, is to do a good and thorough inspection of the roof seams, right where they radius into the sides of the coach. It is there that, is the most import aspect of the sealing and attaching of the fiberglass roof to the sides, takes place. Especially on a coach of your era, it's really, really important to make sure that joint is in flawless condition. If it's found to be flawed, then the only real fix is to carve out, all the old sealant/adhesive and, re-apply new and correct stuff. It's a pain, no doubt about it but, when done properly, your roof will hold even in the heaviest of wind storms.

But, again, I'd get a second opinion and have that roof repaired.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If they can install TPO rather than EPDM rubber, I would consider it, but NO to EPDM.

There really isn't anything magical about installing fiberglass vs rubber or TPO. It's just a skin and the fiberglass comes in rolls just like the others. You glue it down, seal the edges and around openings, and maybe paint it after if it's not pre-colored (I think most are painted). However, I might be reluctant to let the average RV dealer do his first attempt with fiberglass on my own rig.

Yours may well be repairable too. Re-attach the fiberglass membrane and re-seal.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #6

An autobody shop should have no problem restoring the fiberglass roof. I wouldn't change it to any kind of rubber. Do you have any pics by chance?

Tags
fiberglass