Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Run Generator

Is it ok to run the generator while plugged into shore power, just to do the once a month thing?
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #2

Unplug then run the generator.
Otherwise you may trip the breaker on the generator.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nest View Post
Is it ok to run the generator while plugged into shore power, just to do the once a month thing?
99 out of 100 times you will be fine.

I unfortunately hit the 1 in 100, where my gen failed, and having shore power still flowing took out the delay timer board in my transfer switch .
Old 01-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #4

I unplug from shore power when running gen set, always bothered me with two power sources at same time.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

Empty,

Someome will want to flame me for this, buy if he can match credentials good.

The run one a month thing is pushed by the people that sell parts.
-Some say it is to warm the windings so they stay dry. That was true until after WWII when the new non-hydroscopic varnish came into use. It is no longer any value.
-Some insist that it is the only way to keep the carburetor from fouling. There are easier ways. The most effective is to learn drain the carburetor. With most this is easy. You will have to read the manual. If you can't find that, find the fuel source and clamp the line off or disconnect the fuel feed/pump until the unit stumbles.

Up here in the north country, we pull boats out of the water before it gets hard. Then in the process of emptying the carburetor, we fog the engine with a stick oil so the inside parts don't rust. In the spring, we connect the charged battery, turn the fuel on an crank a little while and then look forward to a trouble free season.

One of the coaches out back has a 47yo Onan that I know will start and run right now if I were to go out and push the button. It has been that way for a very long time.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #6

Your ATS, " Automatic " transfer switch will prevent power conflicts. The relays open one set of contacts to close the other set.

But, if it still worrys you, flip off the generator breakers and then start the generator. No power to the ATS, no transfer. Leave them off until your on the road again.

If your talking about winter storage, I agree with draining the carb or disconnecting the fuel pump and let it run out of gas.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator