Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 06:50 AM   #1

Run generator, solar, and motor at the same time?

Any risk of damaging anything if you run all 3?

Clearly all 3 will be trying to charge the batteries at the same time. I would think the solar takes some "work" off the alternator so it heats up less/may last longer. Our solar is 750 watts.

Similarly, if plugged into 50 amp, any issues with leaving solar charging "on"?

I assume this is all ok.
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 07:19 AM   #2

Almost always OK to run multiple 12 volt charging sources. I don't know of any solar chargers that would cause problems.

Yes, alternator should supply less charging and run cooler.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

Source set to the highest voltage supplies the amps.

Said another way, as soon as any one of those devices senses its "set voltage" it's amps will drop to zero.

So, if batteries deeply discharged (and a large battery bank) you could start off with all three, then as their "criteria are met" the one set to the highest voltage will do the work.

Ya, the math will be a little more complex, as smart chargers (whether a smart converter or smart inverter/charger) and smart controller for the solar have different voltages for BULK, ABSORPTION and FLOAT.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Source set to the highest voltage supplies the amps.

Said another way, as soon as any one of those devices senses its "set voltage" it's amps will drop to zero.

So, if batteries deeply discharged (and a large battery bank) you could start off with all three, then as their "criteria are met" the one set to the highest voltage will do the work.

Ya, the math will be a little more complex, as smart chargers (whether a smart converter or smart inverter/charger) and smart controller for the solar have different voltages for BULK, ABSORPTION and FLOAT.
With a deeply discharged battery any risk of pushing "too many" Amps through it?

Solar puts out about 50 amps, alternator 200 amps, generator ??? amps.

Any risk of burning up wires due to this or charging well above the rated C of the battery?
Old 01-20-2022, 08:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Many people including me, run the genset while driving to run the house AC if it's really hot weather. What's the difference?

So, no, you won't hurt anything.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #6

Thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
With a deeply discharged battery any risk of pushing "too many" Amps through it?

Any risk of burning up wires due to this or charging well above the rated C of the battery?

I guess this could be possible.

Check with your battery manufacturer for their max recommended charge rate and compare with your total amps from all devices.

Wiring issue-- depends on how it is wired. Usually 120 VAC charger has totally separate wiring from that supplied by the alternator.

No idea how your solar is wired.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:

The generator supplies 120 volts to your onboard battery charger. The amperage the batteries receive is dependent on the size of that charger. Curious about solar supplying 50 amps,, that's not right, is it?

Personally, I would not intentionally run all three. Yes, they should normally play well together but there's always the chance of something going wrong at about the wrong time. Sure don't want to burn up something or ruin a battery if something malfunctions. I'm also curious as to why you would want to do this?
Old 01-20-2022, 11:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
I guess this could be possible.

Check with your battery manufacturer for their max recommended charge rate and compare with your total amps from all devices.

Wiring issue-- depends on how it is wired. Usually 120 VAC charger has totally separate wiring from that supplied by the alternator.

No idea how your solar is wired.
Most heavy duty car battery chargers mechanics use charge at 20 amps. 100 amps is to "Jump Start" the battery...

Yet car alternator can do 250 amps, and I have no idea what the generator can putout.

To be fair though, that amperage is going to a battery bank of 3 AGM's, so each battery is seeing 1/3 that output.

But the wires, see the full output.

I assume that if one of these sources hits >13.5v, the other sources shut off...?
Old 01-20-2022, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The generator supplies 120 volts to your onboard battery charger. The amperage the batteries receive is dependent on the size of that charger. Curious about solar supplying 50 amps,, that's not right, is it?

Personally, I would not intentionally run all three. Yes, they should normally play well together but there's always the chance of something going wrong at about the wrong time. Sure don't want to burn up something or ruin a battery if something malfunctions. I'm also curious as to why you would want to do this?
Solar is 750 watts, controller does up to 50 amps. I never see 750 watts due to efficiency losses/sun angle/etc.

I have seen close to 600 watts (about 48 amps is the highest i've seen).

And that on a battery bank thats only 10% down from full charge, then it taper quickly.

Bo
Old 01-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #11

I don't have solar but suspect it would not be in play. My coach has an IRD controller that that switches. With the engine running the alternator does charging duty. I drive with the generator on for AC use. That means as soon as I shut off the engine, charging duty is handed off to the generator. At no time are they fighting for dominance or trying to charge concurrently, that wouldn't make sense to me. Are there coaches wired like that?
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Not with any charger made in the last 20 years or so, i.e. one with even minimal smarts.

The combined sources have extra amps available, but the "push" part doesn't increase. Which ever source has the most push (voltage) is the one that controls the charging and it can only push what it has. The batteries see only one voltage, which ever is highest.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I don't have solar but suspect it would not be in play. My coach has an IRD controller that that switches. With the engine running the alternator does charging duty. I drive with the generator on for AC use. That means as soon as I shut off the engine, charging duty is handed off to the generator. At no time are they fighting for dominance or trying to charge concurrently, that wouldn't make sense to me. Are there coaches wired like that?
more than likely your generator and engine alternator are supplying current to all batts while driving until the voltage of the batts is above 13.8ish. All the IRD does is connect the coach and chassis batteries together depending on circumstances. Once the batt volts get above the engine alternator regulator cutoff then the alternator stops providing current. But the genny and charger more than likely have a cutoff Pont above 14v depending on battery and charger type...so they keep on charging.

When in use and not charging the IRD will keep the house and coach batts connected as they discharge down to about 12.6v on the coach batt...then it disconnects them to save battery for engine/generator starting.
BigEvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
M

Yet car alternator can do 250 amps.....

That is at the extreme high end of DP alternator outputs.

Of the three DP's I had 160 amps was the largest. OTR buses-- yes, larger.

Tags
generator, motor, solar