Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our05Winneba View Post
Why are you running your generator while driving anyway? Seems unnecessary and redundant.

If I lived in ALASKA then I would not need to run my Genny.
I travel a lot in warm climates and need to be cool. I don't like to be
HOT and the Roof Air will not work without Genset running. Does not
sound redundant to me or anyone else who enjoys AC on a Hot Day of Driving in Florida.

Also when you have children they want to enjoy a movie on our long road trips to KEY WEST. I could provide 12 more reasons why a running a Genny while driving is important to us. Oh yeah the most important reason is because I can.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #44

Why?

At the risk of sounding like a know it all, why in heavens would you leave a generator running while driving? The vehicle is designed to keep everything running or charged while on the road, if it doesn't then you have a problem with the vehicle as well. And NO, you don't leave a genny running at the gas station especially if like you said it is overheating, unless you want to blow yourself and family to Kingdom Come.
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #45

Yes, shut off the genset. Running engines and accumulating fuel vapors can explode. Not likely, but when/if it happens, there is no recoveery. Second, the genset is getting the fuel line so hot that the fuel vaporizes and until it cools, it won't start on vapor. I would recommend getting the fuel line insulated and check to make sure the genset has all guards in place to direct air away from the fuel and carburator. This is not an uncommon problem and it IS solvable, but it will take some rerouting fuel lines and insulating the ones that are there. Older cars (50's?) had frequent problems with vapor locking and most old time mechanics knew the solution. The Onan 5500 is used in a LOTof RV's and most don't vapor lock. Good luck.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer, Onan 5500 and Jeep toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazou7101 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a know it all, why in heavens would you leave a generator running while driving? The vehicle is designed to keep everything running or charged while on the road, if it doesn't then you have a problem with the vehicle as well. And NO, you don't leave a genny running at the gas station especially if like you said it is overheating, unless you want to blow yourself and family to Kingdom Come.
Inverters and batteries banks are not large enough to supply power to to roof air conditioners therefore we run the generator while traveling.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazou7101 View Post

I run mine all the time on the road. Why, so I can heat or cool the entire rig while we travel. Without the generator the rooftop AC’s or heat pumps won’t run.

It’s also nice when getting to your destination that it’s cool in the RV and I’m not trying to cool things down from heating up all day. When we had our 5th wheel with no generator we rolled into Redding California and it was 105 degrees. We never got the interior temperature below 80. It was an unpleasant night. Now, we can run the AC’s and stay ahead of getting too warm inside and be comfortable when we arrive.

As for leaving it running while we refuel, no we don’t do that.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #48

I wonder why there are signs on the gas fuel pumps "Turn Off Your Engine", "No Smoking"? Do you think there may be some measure of unacceptable risk here? Oh, I forgot we are smarter than those stupid signs.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8411 View Post
I have a similar hot start problem on my 2011 Winni Adventurer 32H. According to Onan the issue is common when the generator is mounted on the passenger side .

Thanks, but ours is on the driver side.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #50

[QUOTE= Second, the genset is getting the fuel line so hot that the fuel vaporizes and until it cools, it won't start on vapor. I would recommend getting the fuel line insulated and check to make sure the genset has all guards in place to direct air away from the fuel and carburator. [/QUOTE]

Thanks. This sounds like it could be my problem.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #51

[QUOTE=especially if like you said it is overheating, unless you want to blow yourself and family to Kingdom Come.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was overheating. They all get hot.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #52

If it's hot, and running for the A/C, I leave it on. If it's on for the microwave, or anything else, I shut it off, as it is too loud standing, while filling the tank.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #53

caution is better than regrets

Please shut off all gas engines when refuelig. Gasoline vaporizes as low as 40 deg Ferenhite, The lower explosive limit is only 1.4% of fumes to air. Auto ignition of gasoline is only 246 deg F. Gasoline fumes can ignite from source (spark)from 12' away. As a retired firefighter I haves seen the results of a gasoline explosion, trust me not somthing you want to experiance. For the statements about trucks in fuel lines, talking appless and oranges, different parameters altogether. Just my thoughts, I will never run my generator or any motor while I fuel (an mine is diesel). This web site has good info and easy to understand
Is Gasoline Vapor Actually Dangerous? – Maui Oil Company

Have the issue with your generator not starting when hot get it fixed and err on the side of saftey.
Be safe and enjoy the trip.
Ed
webcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #54

I would think this is a lot more dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	288337  
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #55

Curt--I could have gone thru the rest of my life not seeing your last post!!!!!but back to topic--diesel pumps, no real problem; gas pumps--shut it down; propane fill--absolutely shut it down....as for signs, many are just to satisfy the lawyers; some are for your own good--chose wisely grasshopper!!!
PS--I did remove the tag from my mattress once--my bad......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteSS View Post
If it's hot, and running for the A/C, I leave it on. If it's on for the microwave, or anything else, I shut it off, as it is too loud standing, while filling the tank.
Can't do without AC while you refuel? I take it you never worked the cast house floor of a blast furnace.

Tags
gas