Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

If you read my post, I was addressing the OP's question about merely running the engine once a month while stationary. Nobody would argue that taking it out for a spin once a month is a bad idea as long as that "spin" is long enough and fast enough to bring the regen system online. The spin, as mentioned, will exercise all the moving parts and keep the grease from hardening at contact points.

I do stand by my original post in regards to merely starting a diesel in a stationary manner as being worse than the preferred "storage" method of turning it off and leaving it alone if you aren't going to properly exercise all the chassis and driveline parts by actually driving it, and not just once around the block, but, actually driving it at highway speeds.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
I understand the logic of letting a diesel motorhome sit for extended periods instead of starting it periodically and letting it run. I had a diesel car that sat for years and started right up when I needed to move it. What I can't understand is why the same logic doesn't apply to a diesel generator.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefr View Post
I understand the logic of letting a diesel motorhome sit for extended periods instead of starting it periodically and letting it run. I had a diesel car that sat for years and started right up when I needed to move it. What I can't understand is why the same logic doesn't apply to a diesel generator.

While it "may" start right up i.e. the generator or any Diesel engine after sitting for long periods of time, why would you leave that for chance? I have been a maintenance electrician for 30 years, and while I have to admit sometimes you can do more harm than good by messing with stuff, that is rare at best but maintenance gives me more piece of mind that it's going to work than not, especially with the alternative of voluntarily letting it sit.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefr View Post
The engine part of the diesel generator could sit a long time, as did your diesel car. However, the generator portion has a large armature and windings that tend to need regular exercise to keep them clean and dried out. That's why the recommendation is to put a load on the generator when exercising it, not only will the generator portion get warmed up, but the diesel engine will also warm up under load and drive out any crankcase condensation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't start the engine just to exercise it during idle periods of time.... CAT C13 525HP.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #20

The worst thing you can do to an engine is start it. In a short amount of time, a high amount of wear is caused by metal to metal friction without proper lubrication.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #21

Boats including mine, in the northern areas of North America are winterized, shrink wrapped and forgotten for 4 to 5 months at a time.
Big Diesel or Gas Motors, Big Diesel or Gas Generators are never started until the spring launch and all seem to be in good shape.
Mine are 1979 Perkins Diesels with 4000 Hours, and an old Diesel generator with 2500 hours.
Most have the batteries disconnected for that period of time and good batteries live and marginal batteries die, and you don't want a marginal battery in a boat.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #22

....taking steps to put your equipment in storage as per the manuals recommendations is a little different than just letting your equipment sit.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeterson View Post
The worst thing you can do to an engine is start it. In a short amount of time, a high amount of wear is caused by metal to metal friction without proper lubrication.
Modern oils form a film that protects from metal to metal contact for the revolutions as the oil pump starts circulating the oil. Engines are made to be run, not just serve as lawn decorations.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Modern oils form a film that protects from metal to metal contact for the revolutions as the oil pump starts circulating the oil. Engines are made to be run, not just serve as lawn decorations.
Good observation. Starting the engine will coat the cylinders, lubricate the bearings and rings as well as valve train etc. Moisture forms in the upper end of the engine not deep down in the oil pan. A diesel engine is fired from compression and heat. It doesn't take long for the engine to create heat even though the temp. gauge might not come to normal operating temperature.
Even the transmission benefits from occasional starting and running even though you don't move the rig. Fluid is circulated through out the trans. applying a coat of fluid to crucial moving parts.
Ideally taking the rig out for a drive and bring everything up to normal temperature is best for all the drivetrain moving parts including the differential is the way to go. If you can't move the rig at least start and run what you can.
I store two of my three tractors all winter long in my unheated storage barn. I start both at least once every two weeks. Both have block heaters and I plug them in for an hour or two before starting the engines. I pull them out and run them around the yard then put them back into storage. The third one carries my snow blower. It stays plugged in most of the winter months even though it is stored inside my garage. When I need it I don't want to dilly dally around. It is always ready to get under way. Hit the starter, crank it to full RPM and pull her out blowing snow. That five cylinder diesel just purrs happily.
Lynn