Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Running a wire from dash to rear, '02 Tiffin Phaeton

I need to run a wire from my dash to the rear of the coach, but I don't see a possible route that would hide the wire. I have a slide on the left side immediately behind the driver's seat, so I can't go that route. The factory wire channel is down the middle of the chassis. Has anyone here done this?
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have chased multiple wires from the rear engine compartment to the front. The only way I was able to easily accomplish that task was to go through the engine compartment, up and over the rear axle, down to the very bottom of the storage compartments, up and over the front axle, and finally into the front run bay where there is an opening up into the driver's console.

It's not that difficult, just time consuming making sure the cable is within a wire loom and secured tightly. Also check to make sure it does not interfere with any moving parts and the route chosen is safe and secure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

If you can find where all of the other wires and hoses travel from front to rear, you can snake the wire in the same channel. On my chassis, the wires are in a plasitc channel inside the frame rails. Harbor Freight has a set of fiberglas poles (about 3' x 3/16" thick) that screw together and will make as long a snake as needed for the job. Find the channel and start pushing the snake through the channel until you see it coming out the rear. I was successful in running several wires that way. Good luck and let us know if that works for you.
Jim
Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Why don't you call Tiffin and ask if there are any spare wires that run from the front to the rear and if so, where are they located? Some mfgs. run some spare wires.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Why don't you call Tiffin and ask if there are any spare wires that run from the front to the rear and if so, where are they located? Some mfgs. run some spare wires.
That is a great idea, if that doesn't work run several wires. No more trouble to run four than it is to run one. Could be handy later.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That IS a great idea however, the caveat to that approach is to make sure the SIZE of the wire is appropriate for the purpose you are intending for the wire. Example, if you need a BLUE wire for the electric brake controller, it needs to be a 10 gauge wire.

I have run multiple wires of different sizes and purposes. I have 16 gauge, two different 120 VAC cables, one 14 gauge and one 12 gauge, an 8 wire Cat 5 cable, two different telephone type data cables, and now I am looking at installing a PowerPlay MP-8 that will require a cable from the engine master control box to the driver's console. Just one more to run until I come up with another project.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, tiffin