Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #29

Crasher already has, as have thousands of ranchers, farmer, contractors etc.etc.
Whats interesting is, its their liveleyhood.
And the cost of these units is $25 to $75,000.
Not the rv. 5 to $12,000. Unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
It’s ok don’t do it , and let us know what the outcome is. The old saying is use it or loose..Be sure let us know what happens ..
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #30

It's best to unplug your shore power before starting your genset. Run it from time to time as well to keep the gas flowing through the carb.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #31

We never run the generator with shore power connection. Why test the transfer switch all the time. It is a electromagnet device. Ours failed once and we knew because the AC failed to run on the generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybee View Post
So when exercising the generator once a month or so. Should the coach be disconnected from shore power?
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO- its the smaller to mid size (4000 watts +/-) Onan generators where regular exercise can be important. Never used a larger Onan so can't comment about those units. The problem seems to be some very small spaces in these carbs. A little gum deposit from the fuel sitting and they won't start. Replace the carb and they run fine. Sometimes a heavy cleaning with Seafoam or similar may work. These little carbs can not be taken apart, cleaned or repaired unlike many other carbs. I have an Onan 4000 and know its is very very picking about getting exercised. My Champion 3500 does not seem to care much.

Some folks with these Onans use a fuel stablizer in the RV's fuel tank to help out. There's no factory fuel cutoff to allow running the carb dry. Thus some folks add a fuel cutoff.

I used to have a 20KVA natural gas generator that would automatically run for 30 minutes every week.

So I think we are hearing from good folks who have plenty of experience with many different generators and guess what the genys are not all created equal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
My coach (with a generator) sat for a couple of years before I bought it. Ignored basically so of course the generator wasn't run. The guy I bought it from tried to get the generator running but failed. The engine is OK but the slip rings were oxidized because he didn't know to clean then. The oxidized rings made the electronic control boards unhappy and suicidal. So I get to invest about $500 in parts, not to make it run, but to make it generate power again. Just because it was left to sit too long.

Should you wish more info, there's a whole forum full of generator folks who will be happy to discuss things with you. It's what they do. Over in this part of it are the Onan/RV type generator discussions. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forum...-generators.1/
Common on the Onan, Also the Igniter/pick up that runs ignition is a stinker when it just sits.

I ust got a 96 Minnie Onan 4000, it had 1100 hrs, The Seller had it running while I was on the phone with him as he was showing it.. I got there 2 hrs later. He had RV plugged in, Fridge was cold, I tried everything, ALL OK.

He said , I will fire Genny for you.. crank crank crank.. Changed plug,, no sprk..

We negotiated and I bought. it.. Found a Genny with 300+ hours for $400 and swapped it, I have parts now and excersise..

where this RV was stored was similar to my area PA/NY. Shade property so it gets damp .. RV only had 31K and it was clean.. But When I took old Genny apart the Magnetic was rusty and you can see the marks from rust rubbing..

Yes I know the old lawnmower sits in the rain and it works, Well the Onans not that lucky, Maybe the newer solid stae and inverter models are better

Most house or comercial standby systems run every few weeks in test mode just to be sure they will fire when needed.
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #34

I don't run mine every month, but did add a ball valve in the fuel line to it so
before I shut it down on its last use where ever, I shut the valve and run it dry.
So far this has worked well. I used to do this with a construction 6k generator
and never had any problems with it - turn the valve on, wait a minute, then fire it up. Run it dry at end of use and put it away until the next job.
flipper003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #35

After spending $1200. for a new carburetor and fuel pump, the service rep at Onan Service Center in Elkhart, Indiana advised me that the generator should be ran for at least 1 hour each month under load. Been doing that for 2 years with no further trouble.
ldsgjs1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #36

Could be a sales pitch, but I was at a seminar where a Cummins tech discussed maintaining the gennys on RVs. He recommended running the generator under load a minimum of two hours per month. That prevents the Carburetor from crapping out (and they can’t be repaired anymore: more cost effective to replace). I start the generator while plugged in to shore power, then disconnect from shore, then run the AC in the summer or a space heater in the winter.
blackhorse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
That is how it suppose to work. It costs nothing to disconnect shore and not challenge a safety device
That's how it DOES work. Its not a safety device so much as the way power is managed from multiple sources.

Even if you unplug from shore power, the transfer switch will work in exactly the same way when you turn on the gennie; the "challenging" is still happening so your actual benefit is nil.

Transfer switches do fail, of course, but better to discover this when you do your monthly exercising of the gen rather than on the road, IMO.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallynm View Post
We never run the generator with shore power connection. Why test the transfer switch all the time. It is a electromagnet device. Ours failed once and we knew because the AC failed to run on the generator.

The transfer switch is working whether or not you have shore power hooked up.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #39

Exercise with a load

Be sure to always exercise with 50% load or more. I had a generator at work that we didn't exercise with enough load, so the rings were never seated properly. During an ice storm, the generator failed on the second day because the rings failed.
srcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I'm not sure why a gas generator would be any different than the V6 engine in our boat.
The 6.5kw (gas) Onan is a 14Hp, 60 cubic inch (98cc) 2-cylinder 3.5 inch bore by 3 inch stroke... horizontally opposed engine... picture a 1960s VW bug engine and shrink it and then cut two cylinders off... A modern motor scooter engine is about the same size but much more advanced. The onan has a TINY carburetor with a TINY jet. Easily plugged.
I'd love to convert mine to fuel injection and electronic ignition. Last time I checked Onan does not have a conversion kit for these older 6.5NH gennys. I'd be willing to adapt something...

Mike
Old 03-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #41

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone here installed a fuel cutoff on their Onan 4000 to "run" the carb dry prior to shut down. I do this on my Champion. But not really sure how much good this will do on these Onan generators. I'm not suggesting not to exercise them, but trying to get as much fuel out as possible.

Because of HoA issues that RV is parked with driver's side about 4-6" from a fence and so I can not easily access the generator access door. So I've considered adding an electronic value in front of the fuel pump.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Has anyone here installed a fuel cutoff on their Onan 4000 to "run" the carb dry prior to shut down. I do this on my Champion. But not really sure how much good this will do on these Onan generators. I'm not suggesting not to exercise them, but trying to get as much fuel out as possible.

Because of HoA issues that RV is parked with driver's side about 4-6" from a fence and so I can not easily access the generator access door. So I've considered adding an electronic value in front of the fuel pump.
I didn't install a shut off valve but did remove the fuel line and run my 5500 watt gas generator out of gas for long term storage.
Always hooked back up after it died and 3 to 4 months later, it started right up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator