Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Running generator and propane heater ?

Leaving am from wis and it is real cold out-question is can you run your generator while driving and also using the propane heater? 2014 Jayco Precept.

Thanks to all
Mark
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukester View Post
Leaving am from wis and it is real cold out-question is can you run your generator while driving and also using the propane heater? 2014 Jayco Precept.

Thanks to all
Mark
I do it in my 2017 Thor Hurricane and it seems to work just fine. I should be able to run it off the inverter too since my coach engine is running and charging the batteries. Have not tried that yet but I know the furnace will run off the inverter from boon docking..
TheTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Yes and maybe. If the propane heater blows out, it will shut the propane off automatically.
Don't you have heat from the engine coolant in your system? That really helps with ours. We have a switch on the dash, high and low. It blows hot air out of the propane heater outlets.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Yes, you should be able to run both. However, when it is -15*, don't let the propane tank get much below 40-50% or it might not be able to produce enough pressure to feed both. It's not as big of an issue with a large residential tank. We left WI one January in -17* with two furnaces running and a full LP tank. They worked fine, but we topped off the propane at the Flying J near Lincoln, NE the next day. Once you get above 0*, the tank level isn't an issue.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Running generator and propane heater ?

So question i have a older rv that I have been restoring and i put in all kinds of bells and whistle's how would I wire in my furnace to run off of the inverter that I am at it now keep in mind when I say inverter I'm talking about a 2000 W standalone inverter with plug outlets would there even be a need to do that
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arricejr View Post
So question i have a older rv that I have been restoring and i put in all kinds of bells and whistle's how would I wire in my furnace to run off of the inverter that I am at it now keep in mind when I say inverter I'm talking about a 2000 W standalone inverter with plug outlets would there even be a need to do that
Doesn't your furnace run on 12 volts DC??
Old 12-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Doesn't your furnace run on 12 volts DC??

Yes it does as I was sitting here thinking about it shouldn't it already be wired like that
Old 12-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Agree that it should run on battery power and propane.

Maybe check the model # and read the specs.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Agree that it should run on battery power and propane.

Maybe check the model # and read the specs.

I just miss understood the whole running off the inverter thing I mean if it's running off of the inverter it has to still be running off the battery correct?
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes it does as I was sitting here thinking about it shouldn't it already be wired like that

Basically all of the appliance control systems are 12VDC low current draw.
The furnace motor/blower can use about 10amps.

Things that use a heating element are not going to be able to run off of the inverter because you'll be limited by your batteries.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always travel in cold weather with the furnace running as well as the dash heat. The dash heat will not warm the rear of the coach very well.

Also we run the genset whenever there is a need such as AC, ect.

Not ever a problem.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
That's the way it should be. You do not want to plug it into an outlet of the inverter which is 110 volt ac.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
That's the way it should be. You do not want to plug it into an outlet of the inverter which is 110 volt ac.

Goodness nooo.. lol
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
I just miss understood the whole running off the inverter thing I mean if it's running off of the inverter it has to still be running off the battery correct?
Your furnace, assuming it's a standard RV type propane furnace, does not use 120VAC like that provided by an inverter. Your furnace runs off 12VDC (battery power) and propane only. No 120AC from any source is required.

You can toss the inverter in the trash, disconnect shore power, leave the generator off, don't crank the engine and your furnace will still work.

Tags
generator, heat, heater, propane