Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 03:24 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We drive and operate our coach as we want. Anything less IMO would defeat the purpose of owning it. The cost of fuel is just one variable that comes with operating and maintaining it so I just watch the gauges and pull up to the pump when need be.

Actually, more experienced owners as well as service techs have told us, we're better off running the gen. more frequently and for longer periods of time just to keep it operating trouble free. This includes periods when we're running down the roads.

Kinda makes sense we'd want to use all the options available to us to better enjoy the benefits of ownership.

Drive and use it like you stole it.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagaron View Post
New to MH ownership. When I picked up our coach in Tucson last month, one of the tech guys at the dealership said some folks run the front A/C off the generator while driving instead of the dash A/C.

He estimated the generator uses about 1/4 gal/hr, so that could translate into higher gas mileage. Anyone concur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
OF course it will impact fuel mileage but not enough to stop us from running the roof air in summer. If you have two airs and your gen is big enough you can run both airs. The dash air will have you sweating profusely.
he is saying he would get better gas mileage running the generator.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #17

Not so hot I run dash,if it's real hot I run everything I've got.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
the way i look at it, if you are that concerned about mpg, you should't be driving a 15 ton vehicle on trips......you should be driving a prius on your trips and stay in hotels or in a tent........we always run the genny and at least 1 roof air when we travel (in hot weather).........just my opinion..
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a previous coach the dash air was inop when I purchased and others told me to not bother to fix because it did a poor job, si just always used Genny and house air. Other coaches the dash air has done a pretty good job of keeping the front cool. But still occasionally run Genny and house air on really hot travel days so the whole coach is cool on arrival. However with the phaeton having three house air conditioners, it will cook quickly so not needed.

In all cases the fuel consumption is not an issue.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Not so hot I run dash,if it's real hot I run everything I've got.
X2

That's what I do.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
If you can afford a class A diesel, you can afford to run the generator and be comfortable. Any time the outside air temperature is above 72 Deg. our generator is automatically started and the ACs (3 of them) are all turned on. That way the entire coach is comfortable when we arrive at our destination at the end of the day.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I will run all 3 A/C's, the 2 roofs and the> . . and when she needs to use the restroom you don't have to pull over and stop right after you just left the fuel station and she didn't have to go then but does now.
OK I'll stop venting
I feel your pain, bro . . . I be a member of that club. Just like when the DW asks you a question and you just know that there is only a 10% chance that it was actually a question.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator