Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
I would not run unless really needed as no reason to run the hours up on a good generator.
And what keeps it running "good" is being used.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A good way to convert hours to a more understandable form is to take 45 mph times the hours on the genset. 45 mph is usually what a driver will average overall.

Exp. 100 hrs X 45 mph = 4,500 miles

1000 hrs X 45 mph - 45,000 miles.

As you can see that's not a lot of wear. It's worse it they're not run.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #31

Reese,

Your coach is equipped with an Onan 7.5K diesel. Per the owners manual it consumes approximately, .1 gal/hr at idle, .5 gal/hr at half load and 1 gal/hr at full load. Disregard numbers from owners with different generators. It will have an impact on mileage as you will be consuming more fuel than running the engine alone. Perhaps MPG will decrease by .1-.2 mpg if you run the generator the entire time while driving. Hardly noticeable and variations in terrain, wind and speed can have a more significant impact. Additionally, once the fuel tank drops below about 1/3-1/4 tank, fuel to the generator will be cut off.

I have found in our 2005 that the dash AC works quite well even when outside temps are in the 90's. The rear of the coach will not be as cool so if the DW wishes to have a nap it may be wise to run the generator and roof AC. Additionally, if you rarely run the generator while parked it would be good to run it occasionally while driving. I've seen these generators with 10,000 hours on them so don't be afraid to use it.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Reese,

Your coach is equipped with an Onan 7.5K diesel. Per the owners manual it consumes approximately, .1 gal/hr at idle, .5 gal/hr at half load and 1 gal/hr at full load. Disregard numbers from owners with different generators. It will have an impact on mileage as you will be consuming more fuel than running the engine alone. Perhaps MPG will decrease by .1-.2 mpg if you run the generator the entire time while driving. Hardly noticeable and variations in terrain, wind and speed can have a more significant impact. Additionally, once the fuel tank drops below about 1/3-1/4 tank, fuel to the generator will be cut off.

I have found in our 2005 that the dash AC works quite well even when outside temps are in the 90's. The rear of the coach will not be as cool so if the DW wishes to have a nap it may be wise to run the generator and roof AC. Additionally, if you rarely run the generator while parked it would be good to run it occasionally while driving. I've seen these generators with 10,000 hours on them so don't be afraid to use it.

Well said.
1989 VW Vanagon Toad "Mallow"
Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #33

So far 130 hours since new delivery on March 5. It will be more by morning since our S&B power is out. Another good reason for us not to winterize.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Better to run the generator frequently under load than seldom. We run ours whenever we want the AC, microwave, keurig. We run ours every 30 days or so for 30 minutes under load when storing coach.

Our 4K Onan uses about .5 gallons per hour @ 50% load. If we run both AC's we are at about 75% load.

If you get 8 miles per gallon with the generator off and travel 50 miles in one hour, then travel 50 miles in one hour with the generator on, you will get 7.4 miles per gallon.

Another way to look at it is if I drive 300 miles in an 6 hour day with the generator running I will use about 3 gallons of gas extra. Currently at $2.35 per gallon the daily cost is about $7. If you averaged this daily for a month it would cost you $200+.

We think it is worth it for the only thing to be hot is the food and the coffee, (and maybe the generator).

PS: For us about 100 hours per year would be average.

Running two A/C units Onan 4KW Onan and only at 75% load on the Onan. You have an exceptional Onan
Old 12-12-2017, 02:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
Running two A/C units Onan 4KW Onan and only at 75% load on the Onan. You have an exceptional Onan

One 15K BTU, and one 11k BTU Power Saver. It's not the generator producing more than average, it is the AC's using less than average.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Reese,

One of the questions in the OP's original post was:

"Just curious to know how much does running the generator while driving effects fuel mileage"

Fuel mileage will be affected if the generator uses the same fuel as the coach. Fuel mileage is affected by amount of fuel consumed, not fuel type, generator size, or brand. Generator efficiency would be a factor if it consumes less fuel per watt generated.

On a 50 mile trip that takes one hour to complete and your generator uses .5 gallons per hour:

If your rig gets 15 mpg with out generator it will get 13 mpg with it.
If your rig gets 5 mpg with out generator it will get 4.76 mpg with it.
If your rig gets 3 mpg with out generator it will get 2.9 mpg with it.

If your generator is only affecting mileage by .1 mpg I would assume it is only consuming about .1 gallons per hour. I am guessing you get better than 3 mpg without the AC(s) running.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:48 AM   #37

Our generator runs from the time we disconnect from shore power until we reconnect to shore at whatever destination we arrive.
I’m never concerned about hours on generator and keep it service on time if not ahead when ever we are planning a long trip.

DTW
Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 AM   #38

Over all I lose anywhere between 1 to 3 mpg running the gen while driving. 1998 American Tradition 40 foot diesel. Cummins 8.3 all mechanical no electronics.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I only lose about 1 mpg when running the generator, and i keep a close eye on the fuel mileage! Rail!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #40

Generator use does NOT affect engine fuel mileage, it gets the same mileage whether the generator runs or not. The generator does affect total fuel used when both are running.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Generator use does NOT affect engine fuel mileage, it gets the same mileage whether the generator runs or not. The generator does affect total fuel used when both are running.
Sorry, I misunderstood the OP's question. Thought he was questioning the effect on his coach fuel mileage.

Do you happen to know what the rated fuel mileage is for your Cummins 350?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting about fuel mileage on an 8 letre diesel. I have heard that the Gen servicing an AC uses .5 gallon or there snouts per hour. Also that a diesel chassis motor developed 15HP to use the AC. Now I know on my previous coach it averaged 50-80 hp going down the road no real hills, so I would think there would be a toss up for fuel. I run mine gas or diesel when needed, comfort on the road.

LEN

Tags
generator