Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Running Lights Inop

The five running lights across the top front of our coach quit working. Since it's under warranty, so we took it to the dealer. After a few hours and several calls to Fleetwood, they still could not get them to work. So we decided to leave, started the coach and they came on! Drove home, checked them again and they were off. Yesterday we got back from a 1,200 mile trip where we didn't use or check them, and they are back on.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Sounds like a loose/bad connection or bad ground somewhere in the harness to the lights if they all work or don't work at the same time.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
x2 bad connection, bad ground, bad wiring harness. There isn't much else it could be. Rule each one out.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If all lights are out, it is the feed wire. You have one wire that feeds the hot and one that feeds the ground. They are usually run on a fleetwood up the drivers post at the windshield and into the cap. I usually took the top left marker light loose. (The one over the driver) I would probe for 12v at the light. If you have 12v, i would then run a ground wire from the frame up to the light. If your 12v was good your lights will then come on. (I will bet the farm on it) I don"t know why, but 90% of the time it is the ground that is bad.(keep in mind your front cap is fiberglass and will not ground) If the ground is the problem, work backwards from the light until you find the problem.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Lights out

GA TRAVELER, I have the same problem on our 2001 Sportscoach on a Freightliner chassis. On our coach the headlights and tail lights work, but the clearance,parking, and driving lights do not. Are all of these powered by a relay or multiple relays on the positive side? If so where would I look for the relays? Thanks in advance, DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
GA TRAVELER, I have the same problem on our 2001 Sportscoach on a Freightliner chassis. On our coach the headlights and tail lights work, but the clearance,parking, and driving lights do not. Are all of these powered by a relay or multiple relays on the positive side? If so where would I look for the relays? Thanks in advance, DACOTAH
I have never worked on a freightliner chassis Sportscoach. I get upset on this site when people who don't know, talk like they know everything. That being said, I will give some generic advice. Freightliner did supply the BASE wiring for clearance and running lights. My best guess is that you have a blown fuse. This fuse is probably in the freighliner fuse box. There is 3 or 4 of these. you will have to find them. The reason I Don't think it is the wiring is because you have too many lights out. If a wiring problem you loose the front marker or the rear marker lights, not both.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #7

Thanks GA Traveler, I always read your comments because of your background. I will check all fuses and also look for relays under the dash area. I did find a block of 3 relays under the center dash area behind a removable panel, I will bench test them also even though I am not sure if they are for the lights. The problem with the Sportscoach is there are not many of them around and not many have worked on them. I agree there are to many things out it probably is not a ground, but if the fuses all check out I will try your procedure on the clearance lights for power and ground. Thanks again, DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
After two trips to the dealer, they fixed it today. Found a wire leading into a wire bundle (the back side, not the part that mates) the did not have a good connection. Depending on road conditions it would either work (be connected) or not work (not connected). Took three techs and a couple of hours.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

Dacotah,
I spoke with freightliner today and we figured out the problem. In the mid console there are 3 fuse boxes and the biggest of the three had a blown 30a fuse for the parking lamps. I had to dig dip in the console to reach it, but all works well now. They emailed me a diagram for the 01's but i do not know how to apply it here.

Heavyset220
heavyset220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights