Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #1

Running Lights not working

I own a 1997 Seaview on a F53 chassis. Does anyone know the steps to troubleshoot the running lights not working on the RV? I have checked the fuse box next to the driver and also the fuses in the engine compartment up front. All are good. I am left with the headlight switch or the multi-function switch. Instead of just replacing one at a time...can someone tell me how to troubleshoot these items. Or am I missing something.

Thanks,
Garry1
Garry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 04:45 PM   #2

Garry - see if you can find the chassis manual for your coach as running lights are usually powered from the chassis builder. That will be where to start looking.

Then at some point, the coach builder is going to pick up that signal to actually power the lights with. And that is probably where your real fun begins.

However - you might try checking how those lights get grounded too. If it appears they are each grounded individually then move on to the 12 volt side of things.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #3

Running lights? Are you talking all the side marker and upper clearance lights not road lamps. If so they would have more than one ground possibly a relay as well.
Have you tested for voltage at the fuse with switch on that should tell you if switch is bad. This is where I like to use 12v incandescent test light for the bit of extra draw a MM doesn't have.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #4

Yes...I am talking about all the side marker and upper clearance lights not road lamps. The headlights, blinkers, flashers and instrument lights work. I have tested for power at the fuses with the headlight switch pulled on and they are good. My owner's manual doesn't indicate a relay for the marker lamps. I have power at the headlight pull switch. Does anyone know how to find a schematic of the headlight switch (E77B-11654-AA)?
Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #5

Tracing wires

It may help if you use a wire tracing tool to locate the wiring from the lights to a cubicle. You place a tone on the wire and then idenity with the tracing tool.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tone+gene...ref=nb_sb_noss

Good luck and please let us know what you find.
backpack96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:15 PM   #6

Do you have a smart wheel?? I had this issue on my DP last year. There is a module under the dash that works in conjunction with the smart wheel. Mine was bad. If you have no smart wheel just disregard.
45Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #7

I ordered a Tracing tool from Amazon… Still waiting. Does anyone have a schematic of the headlight marker light switch? I traced the wire from the 20 amp fuse to the switch and it’s hot. I’m not sure which wire is the return wire to the marker lights.

Tags
light, lights, running lights