Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Rusty Brake rotors

I bought a new 2011 M/H on the ford F53 chassis. While installing a Safe T Plus stabalizer I noticed that the brake rotors had some light rust on them. I checked the rear and they were shiney as you would expect. Is this normal? This tells me that the rear brakes are the only thing stopping this monster. Whats happening?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #2

I suggest that is an issue to be addressed to your dealer. It's a new coach, they should be eager to fix anything covered by the warranty, which includes non-functioning brakes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I bought a new 2011 M/H on the ford F53 chassis. While installing a Safe T Plus stabalizer I noticed that the brake rotors had some light rust on them. I checked the rear and they were shiney as you would expect. Is this normal? This tells me that the rear brakes are the only thing stopping this monster. Whats happening?
I think it probibly is or could be normal. The front having only one wheel per rotor is protected fromt weather much less than the rear.
Did it sit awhile after being built before you bought it?
I bought a Charger in nov 08 that was built in feb 08 and it had slightly rusted rotors. brake were not a problem on it.
The true way to tell if it is indeed stopping on the rear only is to drive it around and use a infared temp gun to read the rotors temps.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Are the rears drum or disk? Disks will get a little rusty fairly quickly while sitting.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

I have disc brakes all the way around. I found the rust on the front rotors only. I had just stopped in my drive way from a trip to adjust my stabalizer when I noticed the rust. I will be calling ford to find out if it is a brake problem. Thanks for your responses.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya.. would get under there and try to find out what it is, but this is a new coach, so agree: call the dealer.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drum brakes don't have rotors.
Lakeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

The rotors on my truck get light rust on them after sitting in the driveway on a rainy weekend and I was just under my motorhome the other day an my rotors are rusty and I am not worried about it one bit.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
untreated cast iron will surface rust very quickly. It comes right off with use. Take her out and drive for a while. Do some fairly hard stops, make her work some. Then crawl under and check the rotors, should be clean and shiny. Using a temp gun is a good idea too.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Drum brakes don't have rotors.