Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV Accident

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/2-...499503901.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
I dont believe the RV caused the accident because the RV does not drive itself, at least not yet. The correct phrase woud be RV driver caused accident and even then we need to know what happened. I can't count the number of times a car passed me and entered in front too close some times slaming on the brakes because the traffic ahead is slowing down. So unless the RV drives itself I do not believe the RV caused the accident.
This is only my oppinion so don't get mad at me for saying this
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Community Moderator

"the driver of the RV, who caused the crash, acknowledged he couldn't stop quickly enough."

It didn't say if he towed a car behind and if he had a supplemental brake in place.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
And if you think there aren’t a lot of “free loaders” driving down the road, looking for the “ rich folks” in the big RVs you are really naive. I had a minor dent in a Wal Mart lot. Cost the insurance company $40,000. I give everyone a LOT of extra rom, now. Patience Patience Patience...every time I turn the key.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
"the driver of the RV, who caused the crash, acknowledged he couldn't stop quickly enough."

It didn't say if he towed a car behind and if he had a supplemental brake in place.

One picture looked like a toad behind the RV.

Tom
Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post

Yes The driver of the RV not the RV caused the crash. He coundn't stop the RV, lets not blame the RV for rhe accident, unless the RV took over and decided not to stop.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Touchy crowd. Actually I was wondering if the DRIVER of the RV had a dash cam. I had to stop quick because a somebody passing and cutting me off.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
No
RV lovers. And blaming a human error on a RV is not correct, from my point of view. And like I said before this is my oppinion.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Touchy crowd.

Sometimes a ridiculous crowd.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Wow now whoo is the touchy one. Lets keep our cool guys this is just a chat.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
You all have a great Sunday this conversation is getting out of control.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
It would be interesting to know if the 3 year old was in an infant seat
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #13

I have driven up and down Monument Hill many times. Mostly in a car but several times in my Class A. The traffic is always heavy and fast. The speed limit is 75mph and most drivers are doing 5 to 15 mph faster. The 20%ers of the 80/20 Rule are tailgating and lane weaving. It is almost impossible to maintain a safe following distance even in a car. As soon as a car driven by a 20%er passes an RV driving in the right lane he will pass on the left and immediately cut into the right lane taking away the RVer's safe following distance.
At the bottom of the hill southbound traffic frequently comes to a complete stop due to busy freeway interchange traffic. Most drivers who are not looking far enough down the road are surprised and have to brake aggressively from 75+ mph to get stopped in time to avoid rear ending tail end Charlie. They usually make it on dry pavement but when it's wet, as in this case, all bets are off.
The damage to the coach appears to be very similar to the damage to my coach when I collided with a Ford Escape whose driver turned in front of me a month ago yesterday. I got it slowed down from an estimated 30mph to an estimated 10mph at the collision. I really feel sorry for the RVer as he now has to go through the hell I have been going through the last month with no end in sight dealing with the aftermath.
Many aircraft accidents are chalked up to "pilot error" when the pilot(s) were unable to overcome all the mistakes and oversights previously made by people sitting in comfortable chairs in comfortable offices and who are unlikely to even realize the role their actions or inactions may have played in the accident.
The design, terrain, high speed limit and inadequate law enforcement of traffic laws on I-25 Southbound north of Castle Rock is a recipe for disaster. The RV driver, if ticketed, is going to take a second hit from this event. Some safety experts say that there is no such thing as an accident. At the same time they subscribe to the theory of an "Accident Chain" where the actions or inactions of many people form links in a chain and if one link fails it can be the beginning of a catastrophic failure. I think this RVer may have been more of a resulting victim than a cause of this unfortunate chain of events.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I have driven up and down Monument Hill many times. Mostly in a car but several times in my Class A. The traffic is always heavy and fast. The speed limit is 75mph and most drivers are doing 5 to 15 mph faster. The 20%ers of the 80/20 Rule are tailgating and lane weaving. It is almost impossible to maintain a safe following distance even in a car. As soon as a car driven by a 20%er passes an RV driving in the right lane he will pass on the left and immediately cut into the right lane taking away the RVer's safe following distance.
At the bottom of the hill southbound traffic frequently comes to a complete stop due to busy freeway interchange traffic. Most drivers who are not looking far enough down the road are surprised and have to brake aggressively from 75+ mph to get stopped in time to avoid rear ending tail end Charlie. They usually make it on dry pavement but when it's wet, as in this case, all bets are off.
The damage to the coach appears to be very similar to the damage to my coach when I collided with a Ford Escape whose driver turned in front of me a month ago yesterday. I got it slowed down from an estimated 30mph to an estimated 10mph at the collision. I really feel sorry for the RVer as he now has to go through the hell I have been going through the last month with no end in sight dealing with the aftermath.
Many aircraft accidents are chalked up to "pilot error" when the pilot(s) were unable to overcome all the mistakes and oversights previously made by people sitting in comfortable chairs in comfortable offices and who are unlikely to even realize the role their actions or inactions may have played in the accident.
The design, terrain, high speed limit and inadequate law enforcement of traffic laws on I-25 Southbound north of Castle Rock is a recipe for disaster. The RV driver, if ticketed, is going to take a second hit from this event. Some safety experts say that there is no such thing as an accident. At the same time they subscribe to the theory of an "Accident Chain" where the actions or inactions of many people form links in a chain and if one link fails it can be the beginning of a catastrophic failure. I think this RVer may have been more of a resulting victim than a cause of this unfortunate chain of events.
[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]
I am with you on this text 100%

Tags
driver