Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

Sun and Desert Skies are both locations that have said they have the Rule.
Thanks for the info on the other two places. Have not checked into them as yet. Have been in VRRA over a weekend in a TT but know nothing about Valley of Fire so I will look at it. Thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #16

I have a friend who has an older camper trailer. The inside is quite nice as he has done a lot of work to it to make it nice and comfortable for his children. The outside is still a little ragged but he has plans to get that in order when he gets funds and time to get it done. In the meanwhile he and his three children enjoy weekends when he has his children camping in their trailer.
This fellow doesn't have much except a huge lawyer bill from a nasty contested divorce from a cheating wife. His world revolves around his children. He is clean and dresses as well as he can and the children are well provided for.
I could not imagine how he or his children would feel if they were turned away from a campground because their camper was too old or didn't measure up.
Myself, I have a 14 year old motorhome. 30,314 miles and if you didn't know better you couldn't tell it from new. I am meticulous on appearance and upkeep of everything I own. I take pride in everything I own or touch.
I have been in the workforce since I was 12 years old. 58 years total and still working every day. I have owned my own business for the past 33 years. I could buy about any motorhome I wanted and pay cash for it. I elected not to as we only use it sparingly and put about 800 miles on it last season. I can't imagine being turned down for a stay in any campground due to the age of my choice in motorhomes.
Campground owners should get together and find a more viable way to screen the people who want to stay at their venues. Perhaps a push to change laws to be able to evict squatters would be a start. Age discrimination apparently goes beyond humans.
Look at the motorhome / camper ownership as a whole. If every campground in the country turned down campers over 10 years old what would happen to the 10 year or older campers? They would become valueless. What about the new market? Would anyone be able to make payments on a new unit for 10 or less years? Most ads I see for new campers are for 240 months. That my friends is 20 years. How could you ever expect to trade in a camper over a year or 2 old? The next buyer would only have 8 to 9 years to use it. How would he be able to finance it?
In summary, I feel the 10 year old rule should be dispensed with across the board before many other campgrounds jump on board otherwise it could lead to extinction of the RV industry as we know it today.
Whether you agree with me or not I feel better now.
Lynn
Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #17

I have a 2005 Newmar. If they ask me what I have, it's a 2007. Never had anyone wanting to see my title.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We never had trouble with out 2002 Dutch Star, in fact more than one person thought it was new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #19

I know this topic comes up lately. We started out fulltime in 2007. We have heard oif these parks but have yet to encounter one. Maybe its our lack of interest in high end resorts.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #20

Nana25k
I have seen some of these RV resorts that have a privileged or exclusionary feel to them. Three of the CGs that I referenced in the original post didn't have a pool, or a clubhouse that held more than 15 people. Did have showers, laundry, pool and card tables.
There was little to no
correlation between price and amenities. We don't need much. On the plus note, we have a preliminary plan for our first year, and 'coming home's is the hard part😞.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #21

So DW and I just finished outlining where we wanted to check out in our first year. We don't want to schedule it now but it seems as though the places are not advertising 10 year rules, but as two gypsies said, online info is different than what I experienced firsthand, in person.
Without fail, each local park I visited in the last 24 hours has vehicles that are over 10 years old and well used (hmmmm.... that is a description of me). As I get closer to full time, it makes me feel good to hear from the community that this is a group of people who are open minded and helpful, and it reinforces the fact that going FT is about the freedom and that we always have a choice
J
Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatzGuy View Post
Here is one item I can't get over that is making me slant towards NEW. THE TEN YEAR RULE. The town I live in has 5 'RV parks'. Since I intend to come back to this area for about a month a year, I visited every one of them and they ALL say they have this 10-year limit. They all have paperwork you sign that you can be forced out at any time, that letting you in does not waive the rule, and that any residual rent paid is forfeit. They say there is a trend for private parks to adopt the rule 'to keep out the riff-raff", but that it is an excuse that is randomly followed to suit the Owners' or managers' needs.
My question is ... Do you think this is going to become the norm?
John
ThatzGuy
My coach has been over 10 years old for 10 years and I've never been turned away from a campground.

However this is MY RULE:
NEVER spend $$ at a campground with a TEN YEAR RULE if another campground in the area has a site available.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatzGuy View Post
Sun and Desert Skies are both locations that have said they have the Rule.
Thanks for the info on the other two places. Have not checked into them as yet. Have been in VRRA over a weekend in a TT but know nothing about Valley of Fire so I will look at it. Thx
Just thought I should clear up one previous statement I made. I spoke with a more senior rep of Sun. They advised that they would turn someone away using the 10 year rule, but only if the MH was beat up looking. Once in, you were in, no longer an issue with the rule.
More of a prescreening tool than a rule.
I feel somewhat better than the use of the rule as a Sword of Damocles hanging over my head. That being said, perhaps I have learned a new way to ask my question.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like the others here have said, we've traveled in every state in the US with a few exceptions and have never been asked the age of our RV (we had an 11 year old DP, now have a nearly 10 year old coach....they both looked new because that is how I like it). I've seen some 20+ year old motorhomes that look really nice.

I think some of the RV parks have that 'rule' so they can refused to admit someone in an obviously trashing looking rig.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 AM   #25
RV LIFE Support Team

I think the 10 year rule is used at the discretion of the park to turn away rigs/people they don't want. Kind of like "no checks accepted", ask if you can write a check and the answer is always yes. Just safety measure.

I have never heard of anyone going to rv parks and asking if they had a 10 year rule before. They are a business, they want your money

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #26

[QUOTE=T DW insists that she be comfortable and have room for her shoes

John[/QUOTE]

My shoes fit a lot of places in my MH. Of course they are usually on my feet. Sometimes on a longer trip I might bring a second pair.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here I am busting the 10 yr rule...by 10 yrs!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0267.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	134553  
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #28

Our coach is only 4 years old. However, we sometimes travel with friends that have a 19 year old faded gas MH. It's not bright and shinny, but somewhat faded original paint. It's what they can afford. He has enough problems dealing with cancer. I have a rule that if they get turned down, the park loses my business too, forever. Happened one time after I had been there for a few days. He was able to get a site in an adjoining park. I won't go back to the one I was in.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote