Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #15

Sue, thanks very much. I haven’t seen few women drive big RV on the road. You are awesome, I wish I could do it some day. I am thinking abou to take a driving lesson next spring, while, my husband is a good driver and he doesn’t have much confidence to my driving.haha
Sharonliu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Both take a private lesson from RVschool.com the biggest issue we see when couples try to give directions is a lack of common language. One is frantically yelling and waving their hands with little understanding of what the rv can or cannot do. The driver often cannot see the guide and has no idea what they want.

If taking a lesson is not practical, find an empty parking area and practice. Agree on what various signals mean so you both understand exactly what is needed and what each signal means.

My DW was scared to drive ours until we took the lesson in our own RV. We just finished a 10k trip to Alaska from TN and we shared the driving everyday, mountains and all.

Parking now is a non issue since we both understand what the coach can and cannot do and use the same signals we both understand.

It is not a car, do not try to drive it like one, practice, practice and learn in a safe manner.

DW helps hook up the toad, can do all hookups and dumping because she has practiced and done it while I watched. She now does it as often as I do. Practice, practice, practice, just like you would for anything else you want to learn how to do. Your husband will thank you for the help. Good luck.
Thanks very much. I will check the RVschool.com. Practice, practice,practice!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You got a lot of great replies. The best ones really just told you to work out a system. We work together when travelling. I can't leave the wheel while driving, so my wife is very attentive to what I need. If I need my drink refreshed she does. She'll often get me something if I'm getting drowsy.

Again, since I'm driving, we use two GPS units. One I mounted near her seat. She can look up rest areas, turn offs and campgrounds. When it's time for fuel, she'll get on Gas Buddy and identify fuel stations. I know the above sounds like I have her as my day laborer, but she has no interest in driving and knows that things need to be done while I'm driving.

When we arrive, I do the dirty work of disconnecting the toad and she finds a place to park it while I back the coach in. She watches for obstacles as I back in and then pulls the chairs and cocktail table out while I'm leveling. Once the coach is level and the slides are out, she comes in and does the interior set up while I hook up the shore cords. The whole procedure becomes a big dance and we just each do our own thing. We typically can be set up and enjoying a cold drink within 30 minutes of arrival.

So...….do what you can and let him do what he can. Get a system and you'll soon be setting up and breaking down camp without thinking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Again, since I'm driving, we use two GPS units. One I mounted near her seat. She can look up rest areas, turn offs and campgrounds. When it's time for fuel, she'll get on Gas Buddy and identify fuel stations. I know the above sounds like I have her as my day laborer, but she has no interest in driving and knows that things need to be done while I'm driving.
Wow. I thought I was the only one that would do this. I have a GPS, and two cell phones running traveling apps and map programs at the same time.

Sometimes it seems like a duet in the coach as we are warned of upcoming turns and traffic jams from the different programs.
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
DW likes to follow along on her GPS as well and make sure I am aware of any problems coming up.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You got a lot of great replies. The best ones really just told you to work out a system. We work together when travelling. I can't leave the wheel while driving, so my wife is very attentive to what I need. If I need my drink refreshed she does. She'll often get me something if I'm getting drowsy.

When we arrive, I do the dirty work of disconnecting the toad and she finds a place to park it while I back the coach in. She watches for obstacles as I back in and then pulls the chairs and cocktail table out while I'm leveling. Once the coach is level and the slides are out, she comes in and does the interior set up while I hook up the shore cords. The whole procedure becomes a big dance and we just each do our own thing. We typically can be set up and enjoying a cold drink within 30 minutes of arrival.

So...….do what you can and let him do what he can. Get a system and you'll soon be setting up and breaking down camp without thinking.
This is very much how we do it too. My wife is very good with navigation and the Nav Apps. I can just rattle off a place or a stop and she will grab the tablet or phone or the Garmin and get it loaded almost immediately. She also handles all the inside chores as we prepare to depart. I handle all the outside stuff except maybe folding the big rug. My wife pulls all the slides in and jacks up while I am outside watching all the slides and jacks and make sure everything stows away properly. We hook up the toad together. She drives it into place. I make all the connections. She puts the transfer case in neutral. I double check inside the toad making sure it's in neutral and everything is ready. She double checks the connections on the towbar and wiring. We do Brake, Turn and Tail lights together. This entire ritual takes between 20 and 25 minutes.

When we arrive she jumps in the toad and prepares for disconnection. I disconnect. She starts it up, transfer case in drive, finds a parking spot or follows me to our parking spot. Once at our spot I make one lap around the coach to make sure it's exactly where I want it to be. No tree limbs even close. Electrical and sewer close but not in the way. Everything as level as possible. Entry door exactly where I want it. I go back inside and hit the auto level. Together we inspect all interior obstacles that might interfere with the slide deployment, drawers in, seats clear, nothing to get in the way of the slides going out. I go outside and watch each slide deploy making sure nothing is in the way and no branches even close to the coach. Once the slides are all the way out I hook up the utilities, pull out the lawn chairs and get the outside all set up. My wife sets up the inside putting things that were stowed for travel back on counters and tables. It takes us about 20 minutes to get set up for the evening.

Under way I do all the driving. My wife is the navigator and copilot. She pays fairly close attention as we approach our exits or when we need to change direction or change lanes. My wife keeps me fueled during the voyage with fruit and water and maybe a sandwich or something if I get hungry. Very rarely will she not be in the passenger seat. I am a much better driver with her as my copilot.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #21

Thanks, Dutch Star Don, I saw few others suggest 2 GPS, it is a good idea. I definitely would take this suggestion
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #22

Sometimes RV rallys will offer a driver-training course for co-pilots, which are put-on by a local MH dealership, which added to their RV display. DW signed up for one a few years ago and simply glowed about it for months. She would offer to drive every chance she could, but hesitated to drive into heavy traffic-like driving through Atlanta, etc. Shoot that even bothers me_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #23

Like an orchestra, there are many instruments but one conductor. Everyone has their part. You being able to drive would be nice especially if there was an emergency. But I wouldn't focus on that part right now. Take it slow at first. There's much to iron out first and all these other things are just as important.

Like every couple, you guys have to work out a system that works for you. My wife would like to learn to drive but the thought kinda scares her too, so we don't worry about that right now. And, to be honest, I don't trust her behind the wheel either because she gets spooked easy and tends to over react. So her driving is on hold for right now. But we still make a great TEAM.

Like a lot of others, we have a written checklist for inside and outside. She does inside prep stuff & I outside. But we've done this so many times now that we double check each other and that is a big plus. She also does all our reservations and trip planning too. This is a BIG deal to me because that detailed admin stuff drives me nuts.

While under way, I need to stay focused on driving, so she's my co-pilot. She's watching the GPS, traffic reports, looking up gas stations, rest areas making necessary calls if needed and verbally directing me on what's coming up, when to exit, getting me water and so on. If you have pets, you can be tending to their needs too without you being distracted.

When we arrive at our destination, she checks us in, helps disconnect the toad, then she takes the toad and finds our site, checks the power box to insure good electrical supply, then notifies me where she is, then I bring the MH there. While parking, we use our call phones if we have service, if not we use walkie talkies, she knows to stay in my line of sight in the mirrors while she guides me in.

Once in, she watches the levelers as I level, helps to safely deploy the slides and hook up the electric. Once that is all done, she goes inside and prepares the rest in there while I finish up outside with water, sewer, furniture, etc, etc. We usually have all this done in about 30-45 minutes.

It's a fine tuned orchestra now for the most part. We're a TEAM. Just focus on what you and your husband can do to be good TEAM members and it will all work itself out. Once this all is worked out, THEN maybe take it to the next level and say, "I'd like to learn to drive now".

That's our 2 cents.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Here are a couple of suggestions from my experience:

- Understand the issues off-tracking and tail swing so you will know what to anticipate when directing the driver in tight spots. The RVGeeks have a good YouTube video explaining these.

- When parking in campgrounds and RV parks it's fairly common for people to come over and help direct you. You and your partner should agree on how you're going to handle this. For myself, as much as I appreciate the sentiment and the urge to be helpful, I have no idea what these folks do or don't know about backing up a motorhome, so I simply ignore them and do my thing my way. Or, if there's a particular obstacle I'm worried about I'll ask them to "stand here and watch this stump and if I get closer than this (show them with my hands), yell for me to STOP"

- Develop a set routine you go through when getting ready to move. If you always do it the same way, you're less likely to miss something. If someone interrupts you mid-routine, start over from the beginning. Finally, before you pull out, no matter how late you are or how bad the weather outside is, do a full walk around of the rig. Look up to the roof (is the amtenna down?), look underneath. Look that all the utilities are unhooked and stowed away. Check the locks on all the compartment latches. Check that the slides came in fully. Check the tires. Once back inside, walk the length of the rig from back to front, check all windows. Check that the shower door is latched. Check that nothing is left out that needs to be stowed. Check the roof vents are closed. Check that the refrigerator door is latched. Make sure you know where you're going! Is the route entered into the GPS correctly? Where are you going to stop for fuel? Many people use a physical checklist to ensure they don't miss anything.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Here are a couple of suggestions from my experience:

- Understand the issues off-tracking and tail swing so you will know what to anticipate when directing the driver in tight spots. The RVGeeks have a good YouTube video explaining these.

- When parking in campgrounds and RV parks it's fairly common for people to come over and help direct you. You and your partner should agree on how you're going to handle this. For myself, as much as I appreciate the sentiment and the urge to be helpful, I have no idea what these folks do or don't know about backing up a motorhome, so I simply ignore them and do my thing my way. Or, if there's a particular obstacle I'm worried about I'll ask them to "stand here and watch this stump and if I get closer than this (show them with my hands), yell for me to STOP"

- Develop a set routine you go through when getting ready to move. If you always do it the same way, you're less likely to miss something. If someone interrupts you mid-routine, start over from the beginning. Finally, before you pull out, no matter how late you are or how bad the weather outside is, do a full walk around of the rig. Look up to the roof (is the amtenna down?), look underneath. Look that all the utilities are unhooked and stowed away. Check the locks on all the compartment latches. Check that the slides came in fully. Check the tires. Once back inside, walk the length of the rig from back to front, check all windows. Check that the shower door is latched. Check that nothing is left out that needs to be stowed. Check the roof vents are closed. Check that the refrigerator door is latched. Make sure you know where you're going! Is the route entered into the GPS correctly? Where are you going to stop for fuel? Many people use a physical checklist to ensure they don't miss anything.
That is exactly how we do it. I especially like the part about others helping you park the rig. We have many times said "thanks but I think we got it". Sometimes they are amazed on how easy we park the rig.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help