Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Covers

Hello all,

Being new to Class A ownership, I was wondering if most owners who leave their coach at at campground for extended periods of time (1-2 months) with only weekend usage tend to place a cover over the entire coach when the coach is not being used?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I never leave mine at a camp ground but when I stay for over 2 days I cover the tires to protect them from the sun. and I cover mine when I have it at home and it sets for over a week.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #3

I cover my tires if I will be sitting still for more than 2 days. Currently, we have a Tyvek cover from Camping World protecting our roof from rain/snow/ice. But we live in ours 24/7, so a full RV cover is out of the question.

Rob
Old 01-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

After reading up on my DP I found that you should run your generator and engine every 30 days. In order to properly heat up the engine and transmission you have to drive the DP. Because of this I don't cover my motor home. This is also why I don't put it in storage. I need to build a storage area.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

I forgot, definitely cover the tires!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Mine is currently covered. The cover is a PITA to put on. And an excellent opportunity for falling off a ladder.

There are zippers that allows access without removing the cover. You can't put the slides out though.

I am satisfied with covering the rv for paint protection. However, going for the monthly drive ain't happening until March at the earliest.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #7

I'm in Michigan and only drive if the road is clear and free of salt. Depending on the weather I can get a drive in every 4 to 6 weeks. Agreed on the cover being a PITA!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

I should say southern Michigan. If I lived further north I would cover it.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I decided against a cover for two main reasons. They weigh to much and are a PITA to put on. I was also concerned about the constant rubbing of the cover on the paint when the wind blew. No cover for me. Nice idea but just impractical for a Class A Motorhome for most people. I do cover my car when it's outside though!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Another from Michigan and also avoid driving in snow and salt. Used to cover the TT when it was parked for the winter but am not covering the MH. I do cover the tires whenever parked for more than a couple days.

Had a cover freeze to the ground when we wanted to leave and ended up cutting some straps to get it loose. Don't want something like that again.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #11

Thanks all for the replies. I did decide on an ADCO cover to use until my 30x50' storage barn is built and to use when I have the coach at a campground for an extended stay. The one I bought does have zipper panels to allow for full access to the coach, but not driving with it on!

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

We just bought a HR Endeavor 37PE. In reading the manuals for this specific coach, they advise AGAINST covers on the coach due to damage to the clear coat finish. Perhaps if you have an older coach that might not be true? But they made a pretty strong statement about NOT using a coach cover.

We had our previous coach (Monaco Camelot 2007) in Alaska with us for 3 years. We made an attempt to cover it one year and it was a disaster. Spent 600 dollars on a cover that (supposedly) would fit it perfectly. It did NOT fit perfectly. It was way too tight and the zippers broke when we tried to close the cover. So it was damaged from the get-go. (Sending stuff back from Alaska is out of the question due to shipping expense!) The wind was vicious and we had some paint scratches develop from rubbing, especially where the zipper was gaping. Despite our best efforts to secure the cover, it blew off one night. I ended up constructing AC and vent covers myself...

We almost killed ourselves trying to get that freekin heavy cover on, too. So all in all, I would never, ever cover a coach again. Most folks that can buy nice coaches are old enough they don't really have any business pulling on a cover. We are lucky we didn't get hurt!

Just my experience, and everybody's experience is different.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
For what it is worth, I had an RV dealer tell me never to cover the coach as it keeps condensation from drying properly in your rooftop AC units, thus shortening their life.

I don't use a cover on my coach due to frequent use and the trouble Associated with applying and removing the thing.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our friends bought a new FW Southwind in 2005, a few weeks later we purchased the same RV. We covered ours anytime it was not in use. Our friends did not. Our paint and decals still looked brand new 10 years later. Our friends RV did not fare as well. Covering made a night vs day difference. One downfall.. our sky lights would dry out and crack every 3 or 4 years. Our friends have never experienced a problem with their skylights. Must be the hot dry climate here is So. CA. The cover definitely trapped the heat in.
With that said...It was a lot of work to put it on and take it off. Last year we installed an RV carport for our new RV, no more risking life and limb for a nice paint job.
Xman11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler