Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

RV Dealer.

North Trails Rv.

I was surfing the internet for Rvs and found a few nice older rigs here. So, anyone in the forum bought an RV from here?
They have couple down there that the wife and I are really diging. Planing on heading down and looking at few. Would love to hear any feedback. I looked around here on the forum and didn't see much info about them.

Thanks.
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know nothing about that particular dealer.
Here's what I found looking at DPs:

1) I can't tell a nice one from a trashed one by looking at photos. Likely this is by design.

2) Most dealers, especially the ones that didn't "just" do RVs would tell me great condition and "everything works". Diving into everything works, I asked what they tested, usually nothing.. And that they don't warranty anything when you drive away. The only way they know if everything works is if they test it and have a record of doing so. Press them for a written "everything works" - they have to WRITE IT DOWN. Most used sales are as-is where is.

3) At most dealers, you're losing all service records and maintenance history. Factor in the assumption that you'll need to bring it up to spec, which is usually 1-3k, even on a gas rig.

My advice: Buy nothing initially. Look around a lot. You'll being to figure it out, but if you don't know, it's easy to spend a lot of money on an RV that is substantially needing work. If you're going to buy quickly and don't know RVs, get an INDEPENDENT person to inspect it prior.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Would that be North Trail RV in Fort Meters, Fl (or its satellite in Fort Lauderdale)? Or one of the several others of that name across the USA that are unrelated?

The Fort Meyers company has a generally good reputation, but all RV dealers are in the business of selling RVs and it's mostly a matter of "caveat emptor". As with buying any house, do your "due diligence" very carefully. It is most definitely not like buying a car.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
North Trails Rv.

I was surfing the internet for Rvs and found a few nice older rigs here. So, anyone in the forum bought an RV from here?

They have couple down there that the wife and I are really diging. Planing on heading down and looking at few. Would love to hear any feedback. I looked around here on the forum and didn't see much info about them.

Thanks.

They are the largest Newmar dealer on the planet. As with most mega dealers, you will get mixed reviews. I have never bought from them but have visited their Fort Myers location many times. Ask for "Diesel Dan". He's a very knowledgeable guy.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

In 2012 we drove from Iowa to Florida shopping all along the way. When we got to Lazy Days in Florida we had such a bad experience we decided to keep our 2005 Knight. Topped off diesel and filled propane tank as we left town. The next day in North Fort Myers we traded for our current by 2:00 that afternoon. Now three years and 40,000 miles later could not be happier with the salesman, the deal,or the unit.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #6

As previously mentioned buying from a dealer you usually don't receive the maint. records. Without those I'd be VERY skeptical. You'll probably be told all maint. is up to date. What they'll mean is an oil change has been done. They might even try to sell you an Extended Warranty which is a big money maker for them. Stating that if you need peace of mind, buy the warranty without mentioning the inconvenience of trying to find a place to do warranty work when on the road. You'd pay a lot less just buying one on your own. Me personally...without maint. records I'll walk away from ANY used coach. Usually private sellers will have them, but they have to be current. You don't want or need a money pit.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO - it is about the service department. As we have owned TT and now 2 Class As, total deal $s are important. But - if you cannot get support from the dealer on the unit - bad deal. In my experience you will need service, so be comfortable with the $s AND the service. First 2 experience I didn't do this and I felt like I was in the movie Deliverance - hill people with crescent wrenches.

Again - just my take.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer