Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

RV Doctor

I wonder if anyone read the FMCA's RV Doctors response to the member who reported a spongy floor in his rigs kitchen between the stove and refrigerator?

Op stated the tech found delamanation in the sub floor in that small area but did not find any leaks. Something caused it and we know it is not spontaneous so a leak is most likely especially considering the location of the problem.

Based on my understanding of the DR's response I have JMHO to offer. I do feel sorry for the member if he takes the suggestions from the Dr. to heart.

The suggestion was to place a plywood sheet over the original sub floor completely, suggesting that the slides might have to be adjusted to accommodate the increased finished floor height.

IMHO nothing could be more wrong for a small area of delamanation. The Dr. mentioned removal of all the carpet and flooring on a three year old coach.

He did not seem to consider how much work would be involved or the expense he was suggesting to cover the ninety percent of the floor that was just fine.

The slides would have to be more than adjusted. New rollers would probably have to be installed.

What about the appliances and Washer Dryer unit? Likely they would have a problem removing them if it ever became necessary.

Possible R & R of the toilet and kitchen table would be just the beginning.

The OP stated that the system was pressure tested and no leaks were found. I dont see any info on weather the grey water system was checked. I dont know if it can be pressure tested or even if it would reveal anything. The location of the damage leaves some reason to make sure there are no leaks in the grey water system.

I used to read those repair columns religiously and never saw a response that I thought was so off base.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #2

I never read it. Do you have a link? What do you think should be done?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I too read the RV Doctor response to the spongy floor question. I always read the repair columns to see if there is anything I can learn from them. Over the years I have come to realize that most of the folks who provide the answers are no more qualified than most of the members of these forums. Those answers are opinions and we all know about opinions - everybody has them and most of them are wrong :-), but gather enough opinions and one might come to a correct solution.
Hopefully the person who asked about the spongy floor takes time to gather more "opinions" before tearing up the floor in his RV.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
I too read the RV Doctor response to the spongy floor question. I always read the repair columns to see if there is anything I can learn from them. Over the years I have come to realize that most of the folks who provide the answers are no more qualified than most of the members of these forums. Those answers are opinions and we all know about opinions - everybody has them and most of them are wrong :-), but gather enough opinions and one might come to a correct solution.
Hopefully the person who asked about the spongy floor takes time to gather more "opinions" before tearing up the floor in his RV.
That was my main concern, the OP did not sound like he was ready to do it himself which made me hope he did not take the Dr's advice to the bank.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I never read it. Do you have a link? What do you think should be done?
It was from the FMCA magazine, I do not know if it can be found online. I dont know if there is anything that can be done but hope the OP catches this forum and gets another opinion before diving into the suggestions head first.