Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #1

RV Driving School

My husband and I have purchased a 2021 Discovery LXE Diesel Pusher with no prior experience driving an RV. Although we hired an instructor to come to Austin for lessons for 2 days for both of us, we have already damaged both sides when making turns in tight places. We are going to have to ship it to Indiana for repairs (one container door will not close, so not driveable). In order for us to get better at maneuvering our RV, does anyone know of an RV school where we can learn while our RV is being repaired. They would have to have a similar size RV Class A Diesel we could drive. We would be open to travelling to any state.
deb.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

If anyone does offer, I don’t think I would tell them of your experience so far!��
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #3

I don't know of a driving school. But I was wondering why you couldn't strap or screw or somehow close that door. Or remove that door. It has to cost a fortune to ship a Class A of that size around. Plus you could get more driving practice in before you do repairs. If you have all ready had two days of professional guidance I would think practice is about all you can do. I would head out to some wide open spaces. Big abandoned parking lots. Buy some cones and practice practice practice. Sounds like you could afford to buy a old beat up rig just to practice in. Get done and sell again and then get in your new rig. I am sure I would be gun shy after your bad experiences but seems to me either throw in the towel or get back in the saddle.
JMHO
Dave
dustydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:17 PM   #4

RV Driving School

Those are some good ideas, DustyDave. I think my husband has just lost his confidence at this point. We've only made two trips in it so far and he wouldn't let me drive so now it's been a while since our lessons and I don't feel to confident anymore myself (although I did at the time). I think we should consider your ideas, though.
deb.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove the door and practice till you are confident enough to get it to the factory. When you find the going rate to have it towed or decked on a trailer you will have a heart attack.

It will have to be secured before it is transported anyway.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb.h View Post
My husband and I have purchased a 2021 Discovery LXE Diesel Pusher with no prior experience driving an RV. Although we hired an instructor to come to Austin for lessons for 2 days for both of us, we have already damaged both sides when making turns in tight places. We are going to have to ship it to Indiana for repairs (one container door will not close, so not driveable). In order for us to get better at maneuvering our RV, does anyone know of an RV school where we can learn while our RV is being repaired. They would have to have a similar size RV Class A Diesel we could drive. We would be open to travelling to any state.
Here's my advice - and you probably won't like it: You appear to have leaped directly into the top level of RVs and you're already in over your heads. Either sell or store your status symbol Class A while you re-evaluate why you bought it in the first place. If you decide you really do want to get into RVing, buy or rent a smaller Class C and seriously learn to use it properly and safely. Use professional training if you think you can't learn it on your own.

When you become comfortable and confident with driving the Class C, then consider going back to the Class A. You will then have the knowledge and ability to operate it safely.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #7

My wife and I viewed many videos on Youtube regarding driving RV's before we bought one. I had driven big trucks when I was in the Army so I felt comfortable, but I also did learn some things as well. We had our RV about a month and we signed up with RVSchool.com for lessons. She spent about 80% of the 16 hours behind the wheel for her to gain confidence. She now drives about half the time when we are on trips, I am comfortable with her behind the wheel. One thing you should do, and our instructor reiterated this, is to NEVER get into a situation you cannot get yourself out of.

Most likely you were a "victim" of either off-tracking or rear overhang swing.

Below is a Youtube link to a search "how to drive a class A rv". I would review these, get in a large parking lot and PRACTICE (you can even use some cones to simulate curbs, cars, gas pumps, etc.).

Good luck, learn, practice, and get back on the horse!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ss+a+motorhome
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As Dave points out there are lots of drills you can set up with cones in a large empty parking lot. My suggestion is that you find a suitable location ( shut down warehouse, factory or mill, school out of session, etc) and get another instructor to drive the coach to the site, set up the drills and put you through the paces: parking, backing, alley dock, diminishing alley, sudden stops, backing around a 90 degree corner (right and left), etc.

These are examples of the drills. You can add to them, and make up your own as needed. Use this info to find a competent instructor.

https://osfm.fire.ca.gov/media/3329/...-05-05-ada.pdf

https://lacountyfirefighters.org/ite...iving_Exer.pdf

Note these are Mandatory skills for operating fire apparatus. This is what prevents new operators from damaging the equipment while training, and it’s used in every fire department. It’s safe, fun and gets easier with practice.

You could also call Austin FD and see if they have instructors that provide private training, or know of any such services.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #9

The suggestions to find a way to secure the broken door, then practice in an empty parking lot are spot on.

Itís also important to analyze and learn from your mistakes. Think back through the scenarios where you hit something or had a close call, and in understanding why it happened youíll learn how to avoid that mistake in the future. If you can, find a similar location and practice successfully completing the maneuver.
The more success at practicing those maneuvers, the sooner the confidence will return.

If your original instructor open to questions or a phone call, it might be helpful to discuss the incidents you encountered and get his/her advice.

In my opinion, securing that door and getting back in the drivers seat to practice would be your best move.
Best of luck.
Also, if you can include your location, others nearby may be able to help.
Best of luck and get back out there
Old 07-19-2021, 04:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Here's my advice - and you probably won't like it: You appear to have leaped directly into the top level of RVs and you're already in over your heads. Either sell or store your status symbol Class A while you re-evaluate why you bought it in the first place. If you decide you really do want to get into RVing, buy or rent a smaller Class C and seriously learn to use it properly and safely. Use professional training if you think you can't learn it on your own.

When you become comfortable and confident with driving the Class C, then consider going back to the Class A. You will then have the knowledge and ability to operate it safely.
I disagree entirely with this advice to be honest. But I'm personally the kind of person to jump into things without thinking

My father was a professional driver but outside of that, I have never had any professional training (not even from him) nor do I have anything more than a regular passenger car license. The first large vehicle I drove was a 40 foot medium duty delivery truck, only a few months ago. The very first time I drove it, I forgot how long it was and drove up on a small curb once. Never did it again. Had to make a bunch of deliveries that weekend.

I also purchased a 34 foot pusher recently, and have driven it around multiple times. I've also parked it in really tight spots.

So I'm a believer that you can jump into something big and handle it well! As long as that's what you want. I want you to feel happy about your purchase and get your confidence back.

Two biggest pieces of advice is 1. watch a lot of RV driving videos. Watch a few hours per week, turning, parking, braking, maneuvering in traffic, etc. Also watch videos on where to keep your eyes, how to use the mirrors, and spatial awareness. 2. Take your time. I know everyone says it but I literally crawl in my motorhome if I have to. When I drive it home, I need to turn right onto a smaller street with lots of parked cars. I take my turn wide and go at a snails pace. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been honked at 😂 but that's how she goes sometimes. When I take my time, it gives me more time to check every mirror, every camera, every angle, every corner.

I am someone who has never driven large vehicles before this year. And I've only ever done the two things I described above. As long as you do those, along with getting in to your rig each time with a huge smile on your face, then I promise you, you'll be fine 😇
DarkVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I used to be an instructor for the "RV Driving School". That was 15 years ago. I still like to wear my RV School logo golf shirts to RV gatherings and do get comments about it.

Lazy Days in Florida has offered RV drivers school. Beaver RV Sales in Bend, OR has also. I do seem to recall that the Jr College in Bowing Green, KY offered a course. When Dick Reed sold the RV Driving School, it was active for several years, but I have not heard anything for the last 2-3 years.

You might get some help from the Escapees.com by calling their office in Livingston, TX.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lazy Daze in Tampa Florida. They have an ongoing driving course that is two days. Staying at their campground many times we see them driving through the park teaching folks. They have some outstanding online training as well.

It's paint and metal and so far no injuries. It is a lot to take in for sure on these large RV's.

I have driven every size RV and towable until we bought our DP in 2008. It was intimidating for the first year of weekend trips but am very confident now.

What drives me insane is watching anyone with an RV driving through an RV park as if there is no one within miles. They race around as if to be showing off how proficient they are. Jamming their rv into a spot like a Nascar driver.

Since we live in ours it is critical to not damage ours if at all possible.

I think panic can cause poor judgement. I love having my co-pilot help me in every situation. Changing lanes she always checks any potential blind spots or fools trying to occupy our space.

When you come to a four way stop or light. Proceed very slowly. Let others go before you. You may need to swing into the other lane to make the turn safely and a car is in that lane.

Don't let anyone rush you. Those folks out there may have never handled one of these beast and if they get upset and wave with fewer fingers than should be politely, Just smile and wave at them with all your fingers.

You will not likely ever see them again and even if you did something embarrasing so be it.

I find that so often in tight situations folks will give me lots of extra space making turns. If you have to wait for someone to recognize you can't make the left hand turn because their left hand turn makes the slot too narrow, just wait patiently and someone will wave you through when safe.

Parking in tight spaces was a bit of a trick at first with this 42 footer but watching the films on how to put marks on the coach makes me and my wife look like pros. It is amazing how many comments we get when getting into tight spaces.

When backing my wife does the directing and no one else. I thank them kindly and say my wife has this. She is my spotter and if she moves out of sight of my mirrors I absolutely stop, period. She is double checking any issues or could have fallen down.

Using your wife as a speed bump will get you put in the hospital when she recovers. Ouch.

Use phones, hand signals, or radios when parking. Make sure you use simple words and not the one I absolutely hate. The word is "OK". That word means absolutely nothing.

Stop and get out to survey the spot every time it is tight. Again, impatient folks may want to pass but they are not making the payments on that house on wheels. They too were new one time.

I will post the videos when I dig them up.

Go slow and be prepared to stop. Even if it is in an intersection.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:18 AM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Here is the video on youtube.

Mark your RV as suggested and you will be amazed how well you can backup.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My advice, for what it is worth, is patch it up as advised above, then schedule a private driving lesson with RVschool.com. They require you have an rv and you should use yours, since that is the one you will be driving. They will teach you things you will not learn any other way and you will get your confidence back. They will also do things specific to your rv such as measure your “tail swing”, and show you how to adjust mirrors, and other things you do not know now for you and YOUR RV. Many other things you will only get from a very detailed private lesson.

My wife and I did a joint two day lesson with them and she got most of the time since I had been driving the rv for years. We both learned things we use every time we use the rv now, such as helping each other park with hand signals we both understand, proper lane selection, and many, many other things.

Most short classes or youtube videos will concentrate on a few specific items and none can teach you what a real instructor can and will teach you in two full days with a private lesson.

One other point. After the lesson both of you MUST drive the RV EVERY TRIP or your skills will soon erode. Since I do better in the AM I drive first and the wife does the afternoon driving and I navigate to the cg for the nite. Good luck and patch up the rv and get a private lesson. Then confidently drive it to the factory yourself and get it fixed. There are no shortcuts to learning how to do this correctly.