Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

RV Extended warranty

I know the question has been asked, but my 2014 Entegra Aspire 2 year Coach Net warranty is about to expire. I have been satisfied with Coach Net but I want to explore all options. I need suggestions on best warranty coverage at a good price with a good track record. I appreciate your help.
cwsetzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is just my opinion but insurance companies don't make money by paying out in claims more than they take in in premiums.. That being said our Extended warranty expired 1 year ago. We took our annual premium renewal amount and opened up a saving account. We deposit monthly into our account 1/12 of the annual premium. It is a gamble for sure but I believe the law of average is on my side. In the past year we have had no expenses the coverage would have paid for. Talk to me 3 years from now and I will tell you how it worked out. As of now we are a years premium ahead.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I am not one to purchase extended warranties, but many years ago I did for a small motor home I purchased a couple of years used. After about 1 year into it, the roof a/c went at the same time as the dash air went out. To my surprise, I had them replaced quickly with only paying the deductible. About a half year later, my front disc brake calipers locked up and this company paid for it again with me only paying the deductible. The tow to the service center was also paid by the extended warranty. However, even with such a good experience, I give these purchases second thoughts because of all the horror stories we hear on these forums. I purchased a new motor home in 2009 and was able to get an extended warranty at a very reasonable price on my own. Luckily I never had to use it and got back 25 percent of the premium when I traded in the motor home. Recently I purchased my current motor home, the Allegro 36LA. I did the same thing as my other motorhome and did the research and purchased my own extended warranty. The price was half of what the dealer quoted and lasted an additional 2 years. What I learned about these warranties is that it is important to see what financial institution back these warranties. Look for big names like Bank of America or Chase or one that you are familiar with. Read the fine print. Learn how to put a claim and how you will be reimbursed. Don't add this to the cost of the loan. You don't want to pay for something over 20 years that only lasts 4, 5 or 7 years. Make sure you are comfortable with the deductible. Don't be a pest with the company. For instance, my surge protector Auto Transfer switch went bad on the coach. I could have taken it in for the extended warranty. It would have cost me $100.00 for the deductible. I was able to purchase a brand new one on Amazon for $220.00 and it took 45 minutes to install. The reason I say this is because the warranty companies keep track of how often and how much they lay out on your policy. They have a clause where they can bail out and refund your total premium and end coverage. Stick to the big items that go bad. Remember, our coaches have a lot of parts like A/C units, refrigerators, generators not to mention the drive train of the coach itself. Don't nickel and dime them and when something big goes, you will get it fixed and be on the road again with less aggravation. The bottom line is that it may be a crap shoot, but there is some feeling of security and confidence when you use a reputable company.
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Extended service plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabob View Post
I am not one to purchase extended warranties, but many years ago I did for a small motor home I purchased a couple of years used. After about 1 year into it, the roof a/c went at the same time as the dash air went out. To my surprise, I had them replaced quickly with only paying the deductible. About a half year later, my front disc brake calipers locked up and this company paid for it again with me only paying the deductible. The tow to the service center was also paid by the extended warranty. However, even with such a good experience, I give these purchases second thoughts because of all the horror stories we hear on these forums. I purchased a new motor home in 2009 and was able to get an extended warranty at a very reasonable price on my own. Luckily I never had to use it and got back 25 percent of the premium when I traded in the motor home. Recently I purchased my current motor home, the Allegro 36LA. I did the same thing as my other motorhome and did the research and purchased my own extended warranty. The price was half of what the dealer quoted and lasted an additional 2 years. What I learned about these warranties is that it is important to see what financial institution back these warranties. Look for big names like Bank of America or Chase or one that you are familiar with. Read the fine print. Learn how to put a claim and how you will be reimbursed. Don't add this to the cost of the loan. You don't want to pay for something over 20 years that only lasts 4, 5 or 7 years. Make sure you are comfortable with the deductible. Don't be a pest with the company. For instance, my surge protector Auto Transfer switch went bad on the coach. I could have taken it in for the extended warranty. It would have cost me $100.00 for the deductible. I was able to purchase a brand new one on Amazon for $220.00 and it took 45 minutes to install. The reason I say this is because the warranty companies keep track of how often and how much they lay out on your policy. They have a clause where they can bail out and refund your total premium and end coverage. Stick to the big items that go bad. Remember, our coaches have a lot of parts like A/C units, refrigerators, generators not to mention the drive train of the coach itself. Don't nickel and dime them and when something big goes, you will get it fixed and be on the road again with less aggravation. The bottom line is that it may be a crap shoot, but there is some feeling of security and confidence when you use a reputable company.
Bona; Really great job on explaining the extended service plan! I think you are spot on! Regards