Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Stu, why go through all that as long as you can get one from NC and as long as all your vehicles are listed that’s all you need, whether individual or towing.
The tolls are different for the different classes of vehicles. The toll for your 5,000 pound, two axle, four tire toad is significantly different from your 34,000 pound, 3 axle, 8 tire coach towing your toad.

Simply moving your single transponder issued for your toad into your coach and driving through the E-ZPass automated toll booth may get the green light to shine, but, I'm not sure you're being appropriately charged for the correct toll.

Swapping the transponders assures (as long as I've got the right one installed - not that hard to do) that I'm correctly charged.

The penalties for cheating on the tolls, at least in Virginia, can be significant.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
The tolls are different for the different classes of vehicles. The toll for your 5,000 pound, two axle, four tire toad is significantly different from your 34,000 pound, 3 axle, 8 tire coach towing your toad.

Simply moving your single transponder issued for your toad into your coach and driving through the E-ZPass automated toll booth may get the green light to shine, but, I'm not sure you're being appropriately charged for the correct toll.

Swapping the transponders assures (as long as I've got the right one installed - not that hard to do) that I'm correctly charged.

The penalties for cheating on the tolls, at least in Virginia, can be significant.

Take care,
Stu
Mine worked on every toll road this summer, about 4000 mi in 12 states, including VA. Mine are listed on my account by number of axles, no weight. All my charges came as listed on the roads. IMO kiss works pretty well.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #45

Quote:
As a resident of Virginia, I've used transponders issued by E-ZPassVA (https://www.ezpassva.com/) for years all along the east coast (FL to ME) and west through IN. The FL SunPass has, I believe, finally become compatible with the E-ZPass transponders.

The E-ZPassVA transponders are issued based on vehicle class. Here's a link to a .pdf that describes all the vehicle classes: https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf

You'll note that the vehicle class is dependant on both the vehicle GVW and the number of tires/axles.

I have two transponders for my motorhome; one for use while towing my toad (5 axles/12 tires) and one without the toad (3 axles/8 tires). I also have a transponder for my toad (2 axles/4 tires). Just affix the proper transponder to the top center of the motorhome and we're good to go (remove the toad transponder when it's in tow).

That's what has worked well for me.

Take care,
Stu
It may be worth a phone call to the customer service rep in your state. I called the office in Ohio and they told me that they now have the technology to read the number of axles as you go through the booth so you no longer need to buy a separate transponder for each set up. I called because sometimes i tow a trailer sometimes its Just my coach. They told me all I need is a standard transponder and they will bill be based upon what when through the booth.

This was less than a year ago.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
It may be worth a phone call to the customer service rep in your state. I called the office in Ohio and they told me that they now have the technology to read the number of axles as you go through the booth so you no longer need to buy a separate transponder for each set up. I called because sometimes i tow a trailer sometimes its Just my coach. They told me all I need is a standard transponder and they will bill be based upon what when through the booth.

This was less than a year ago.
Hi Frank,

Thanks. No doubt that's what they told you. Just be careful to read the fine print in your state's program. Make sure that your understanding of what you were told on the phone complies with the written rules of the program.

The VA E-ZPass rules are different.

Rules in the various states are different.

NC Quick Pass website clearly states that a separate transponder is required for each vehicle on a personal account.

I can understand how they could install equipment at a toll booth that could count axles. However, there are toll roads (New Jersey Turnpike, as an example) that only use an overhead transponder reader where you maintain highway speed through the reader zone; no toll booth.

Anyway, I'm happy that I'm being correctly billed and that I'm in compliance with the VA E-ZPass program.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use all 3 of my MD E-Z Pass transponders interchangably on the Motorhome, Motorhome with trailer, Mini, Minivan, pickup and Harley. I am always charged the correct discounted fees, even in PA on the turnpike that uses weight as well as axle count. The tchnology used today is awesome!
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by woltz View Post
I use all 3 of my MD E-Z Pass transponders interchangably on the Motorhome, Motorhome with trailer, Mini, Minivan, pickup and Harley. I am always charged the correct discounted fees, even in PA on the turnpike that uses weight as well as axle count. The tchnology used today is awesome!

Hi KG,

From the MD E-ZPass application form (https://www.ezpassmd.com/en/about/in..._app_new.pdf):

PART 2. VEHICLE INFORMATION List a vehicle for each Maryland Transponder requested and list any other vehicles that may
use the transponder(s). Transponders are transferable among two-axle vehicles.

Looks like as long as each of your vehicles has two axles, you're good to go. Not sure how that works while you're towing something behind your motorhome.

I agree that technology can be awesome. You never can tell when somebody is counting axles.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hi KG,

From the MD E-ZPass application form (https://www.ezpassmd.com/en/about/in..._app_new.pdf):

PART 2. VEHICLE INFORMATION List a vehicle for each Maryland Transponder requested and list any other vehicles that may
use the transponder(s). Transponders are transferable among two-axle vehicles.

Looks like as long as each of your vehicles has two axles, you're good to go. Not sure how that works while you're towing something behind your motorhome.

I agree that technology can be awesome. You never can tell when somebody is counting axles.

Take care,
Stu
I had originally set up my account with 1 transponder. Later, when I bought more, it was an easy step to add them to my account and those steps did not include any identification of vehicle assignments.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #50

So far the only road we travel on the uses the EZ Pass is the Coleman Bridge on the York River. The toll people there didn't seem to know if the transponder would work on a motorhome and we just hand over the $2. We only pay going north, nothing on the return south. But this is something we'll want to check into one day...
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by woltz View Post
Later, when I bought more, it was an easy step to add them to my account and those steps did not include any identification of vehicle assignments.
I don't doubt that, a bit. I'm merely suggesting that, currently, the MD E-ZPass website seems to be pretty clear that you can only interchange transponders on two axle vehicles. My motorhome has three axles (5 when towing), thus my decision to acquire two transponders for the motorhome.

Virginia has become more aggressive in pursuit of toll violations: https://wtvr.com/2018/08/06/woman-to...ass-violation/ I haven't followed that story to see how it all came out.

It's just easier for me (peace of mind) to acquire the appropriate transponder for each of my vehicles.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #52

This may be a state specific issue. So what works for me in Ohio may not work for you in a different state, but i think that if I am legal in Ohio the other states have to follow my Ohio rules.(reciprocity) Otherwise they would just have one rule set. So bottom line follow what your home state requires.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
This may be a state specific issue. So what works for me in Ohio may not work for you in a different state, but i think that if I am legal in Ohio the other states have to follow my Ohio rules.(reciprocity) Otherwise they would just have one rule set. So bottom line follow what your home state requires.
Hi Frank,

I think you're absolutely correct! As long as you're in compliance with the issuing authority's program, reciprocity agreements with other states make you legal in those states.

Although there's no doubt that you can, physically, swap transponders among several vehicles, the various states have specific rules regarding doing that. Your OH E-ZPass website says that although you can swap a transponder to another vehicle of the same class, they recommend that you get a transponder for each vehicle on your account.

There are some who, it seems, have suggested that they simply swap a single transponder from their car to their motorhome (or motorhome towing a toad) and have successfully navigated toll roads without difficulty. I'd be surprised if that's in complete compliance with their state's program. IF that is in compliance, that's fine with me. I know that my (VA) state's program doesn't allow that and it looks like your (OH) state's program doesn't either.

Virginia is getting more aggressive in pursuing toll violators with significant penalties for violations. Often, the administrative costs of collection far exceed the unpaid tolls.

For me, it's all about convenience and peace of mind. I don't want to be stuck in a slow-moving cash-only toll lane. I enjoy the convenience of using a transponder. Although swapping transponders from one vehicle to another may seem like it's working, if you're not in complete compliance with the issuing authority's rules, you're at risk of suffering a penalty. Having the appropriate transponder in each of my vehicles, as required by my state's program, gives me that peace of mind.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Can somebody please supply the website address for where to apply and get this E-ZPass in NC. All I can find is NC Quick Pass when I do multiple searches on the web as I've posted before.

I like the idea of the transponder that can be moved from RV to toad once in Maine. Our coach is under 26K and from what I've been reading here in this post, this E-ZPass will have no weight issues if ordered in NC and the transponder will automatically adjust for 2 vehicles if we're towing.
There is a link at this News web site.

https://www.13newsnow.com/mobile/art.../291-469267640
Old 01-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Hi Frank,

I think you're absolutely correct! As long as you're in compliance with the issuing authority's program, reciprocity agreements with other states make you legal in those states.

Although there's no doubt that you can, physically, swap transponders among several vehicles, the various states have specific rules regarding doing that. Your OH E-ZPass website says that although you can swap a transponder to another vehicle of the same class, they recommend that you get a transponder for each vehicle on your account.

There are some who, it seems, have suggested that they simply swap a single transponder from their car to their motorhome (or motorhome towing a toad) and have successfully navigated toll roads without difficulty. I'd be surprised if that's in complete compliance with their state's program. IF that is in compliance, that's fine with me. I know that my (VA) state's program doesn't allow that and it looks like your (OH) state's program doesn't either.

Virginia is getting more aggressive in pursuing toll violators with significant penalties for violations. Often, the administrative costs of collection far exceed the unpaid tolls.

For me, it's all about convenience and peace of mind. I don't want to be stuck in a slow-moving cash-only toll lane. I enjoy the convenience of using a transponder. Although swapping transponders from one vehicle to another may seem like it's working, if you're not in complete compliance with the issuing authority's rules, you're at risk of suffering a penalty. Having the appropriate transponder in each of my vehicles, as required by my state's program, gives me that peace of mind.

Take care,
Stu
I have done the switching from MH to car in Florida and when towing the car I just put the transponder, which is normally on the car, on the MH windshield and their computer figures it out.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #56

Foil tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I had the same problem with the stick on transponder. Called and asked for a credit.

When I called the second time the agent was much more helpful and instructed me how I could de-activate the stick on transponder when needed then reactivate it. Not as easy to do because you have to do this from a pc but doable. Just in case we have all the plates registered with the portable unit as well.
Put foil tape on the outside of your windshield over the transponder and that will keep it from reading that is what I have always done so the towed vehicle doesn't get charged also. By All rights though it goes by the number of axles you have so it is kind of cheating just a little.
richardkronz is offline   Reply With Quote