Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

RV Fireplace

My wife and I are considering a Pro Com ventless fireplace for our Tradewinds. There was a recliner in the space that was broken and now we have a open space on the wall. Thinking a fireplace would be nice for ambiance and occasionally warming up. If nothing more would look nice. I’ve read much regarding this move. The heater considering is a 19K to 29K BTU. There is a ceiling vent above the location as well as a window and sits next to the door. Should get good ventilation. Any one with experience like to chime in on this? Thanks in advance.
EMTGUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

You wanted opinions so here is mine. I would install an electric one but not a gas fired one. We have an electric one and can turn it on with just the fire looking part and no heat. They look quite realistic. When it gets cold outside (50 degrees is cold for us), it keeps the living area cozy without the noise from the floor heaters or the heat pumps.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! I really envy you! We had a 5th wheel for 10 years before getting the MH and loved the electric fireplace in it! There is no place to put a fireplace in our MH.

Although I've never installed one, it sounds like that space would be fine. Just read the instructions carefully regarding clearances, etc.

Be safe, enjoy the fireplace, and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

I would stick to the electric versions as they look nice and put out good heat and as mentioned you can have them on without heat for the looks. I would not like a real flame burning and I would not want to use up my propane tank to run it. I have electric versions in my coach as I have no propane to begin with yet they sure look and work great. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would also go with the electric unit, unless you need the gas one for boondocking. Our previous coach had an electric fireplace. It was a great source for heating the RV. It was quiet and kept the main living area toasty. We would leave it on all night in cold weather and let it migrate to the bedroom.

The only thing better in our current coach are heated floors.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #6

We have an electric one in our coach. My wife sometimes gets up early, 4am, many days and reads. She turns it on with the remote and soon the living room is toasty warm. We both enjoy the heat and ambiance, but would never have a gas fired one in a motorhome.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We have an electric fireplace also and would not do without one. I would never install a gas flame heater in an enclosed space due to the possibility of CO poisoning.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Another vote for electric. I would NOT want propane.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I guess all things are possible. I saw a dilapidated old C class at Wally World that had a wood burning pot belly stove in it.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTGUNN View Post
Thinking a fireplace would be nice for ambiance and occasionally warming up. If nothing more would look nice.
Based on your own requirements and expectations, I would go electric with best flame appearance I could find. Just be conscious of the load it may draw (9 - 12 amps or so?) relative to breaker it is connected to.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #11

A ventless, gas fireplace will create a lot of moisture in the RV.

That's one by-product of combustion and not good for RVs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #12

Propane option....is good. No generator or electric required.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

I don't know about a FP in you rig, but we LOVE ours and the heat it throws is great as well.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:02 PM   #14

Fireplace

I dont remiember the motorhome ]but one of them I looked at had a televator for a tv built into the back of the fireplace cabinet. It was pretty neat if you also need another tv.
Dennisok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, fireplace, replace