RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
FYI,
We took a trip to Yellowstone in 2015. Refueled at Pilot first two times. Used the credit card both times. Checked my CC one night and discovered two $500 hold fees in addition to the fuel we had purchased. Called customer service and was told they do that to insure CC clears. It goes away after 4-5 days. To prevent this, I was told to go to the fuel desk, and request pre-authorization of an amount sufficient to fill the tank. No problem after that. I don't like surprises.
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #16

I do like a good price, but I stop anywhere I can get in and back out. And start looking at about 1/2 tank. Have not gassed at a truck stop.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been to Ca. and Az. And every where in between. I have never OFTEN noticed a 25-35 cent difference between Flying J and local stations located within 10-20 miles. When I figure in the few cents I would save against the fuel wasted and time to get there I don't think you really save all that much When I get to the station to save 2 cents can I get in and out? I use Flying J a lot.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #18

Fuel prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I cant say never, but I almost never see one gas station 15 cents higher than the other stations at the same exit.

While traveling across Arizona - New Mexico I pulled off the Intrterstate to fuel up my Cummings Dodge Sign on highway said QT fuel next exit Since I like QT and they now have truck stops at some stations. First couple of stations $2.73 for diesel 1 block to QT $2.17
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Must have been trying to start a fuel war.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a couple of pointers I have found to make the fuel stop as easy as it can be. Use Flying J for the RV lanes. Good Sam members get a 3 cent discount on gas at the FJ and I think they upped it to 5 cents per gallon recently. FJ's are usually competitive and with the discount using the RV lane is a plus. To find out which ones have an RV lane you can go to the Flying J website or download the RV Parky app for the smart phone. This little app shows campgrounds, rest areas, fuel stations, Cracker Barrels, and Walmarts. If the app shows a FJ with a dump station it usually has an RV lane because the dump station is located in the RV lane. Gas Buddy is another app as mentioned earlier that gives pricing enroute. If you don't have a FJ within your fuel window find the best stop using Gas Buddy and zoom in on the station using Google Maps satellite view to see the best in and out direction. With a little planning before starting in the morning you can set your stops for fuel, rest, lunch, and evening camp easily using these apps on your smart phone.

Ain't technology wonderful?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #21

t/a often display the diesel price less puc taxes. you don't pay this price unless you have a puc permit .this is for commercial rigs that get to pay all the tax once a month.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We try and use Flying J. I've never noticed them being any higher than any other station on the highways. I also have the Next Exit book. Best investment for all the traveling we do. We are 39' towing and DH can usually get around in a regular gas station if we really have to, but truck stops are the best.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Some people are willing to drive a bit off the interstate exit to save a few cents per gallon, dealing with traffic, U turns, slower fueling flow rates, and tight turns and maneuvers in gas stations. I prefer the convenience of truck lanes when I fuel. Faster flow rates, easy in/out, and nearby parking is always available for my 60+ feet of rig and tow.

I use the Pilot/Good Sam card at Pilot or Flying J just like a charge card, never have to go inside to preauthorize and no holding fee placed. Just have to pay it off monthly just like the charge cards of old.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary! Enjoy the ride!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
A truck stop near me just changes to Pilot and added the RV fuel lanes. I check it out in the car today and did not see where you could pay at the pump. Are they all like that? If I can't pay at the pump I keep driving.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
RV Fuel Lane specific gas stations

Every flying J with RV lanes I have stopped at have the card swipe at the pump. Using the RVPlus card allows me to fill up in one swipe with a discount.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #26

Iíve never had a problem at Flying J plus I get 9 cents off the ďcash" price with the convenience of paying at the pump with their card and my Good Sam membership combination.

Never use their RV pumps either. The truck aisles are so much easier and never a chance of getting blocked in by car drivers trying to get inside the store.

The convenience, being sure the fuel is fresh, food options and the ability to pick up supplies (like diesel additive) are also reasons we use them exclusively. The professional driverís have been nothing but friendly (they all want to talk about the dog because he always jumps up in the driverís seat) and I like being able to clean the windows using their long poles.

Canít think of a negative; especially not one worth a couple cents a gallon???
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #27

I am right there with Sarge77. The RVPlus card at Pilot/Flying J gives me easy, predictable options up and down the East Coast and a lot of the Midwest. With Diesel it seems almost a no-brainer. With the range running an easy, safe 600 miles picking the best state options gives me the best cost considerations..it can be amazing what a difference 200 miles can make and using Trucker Path makes it extremely easy.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas stations

If your in the area of Costco's they're usually straight in and out. Have to be a member too. Usually best prices!
Rbeckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas