RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

RV Fuel Lane specific gas stations

Are there other RV specific gas station chains that cater to gas rv's other than Flying J's?

Do all Flying J's have RV lanes for gas or just some of them?
harbortime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know the answer to the first question.
'Just some of them' is the answer to the second.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Pilot/Flying J has an app for Android and iOS called "my Pilot" which shows you all kinds of information for each location. This includes RV Lanes for gas, dump station, etc. Love's also has a similar app but they don't have near as many stations with RV Lanes as Flying J.
glc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #4

I am only aware of Flying J but rarely use them. We have found the the prices at Flying J are always higher and several times we couldn't get out of the RV lane because of people parking to go into the store.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc514 View Post
Pilot/Flying J has an app for Android and iOS called "my Pilot" which shows you all kinds of information for each location. This includes RV Lanes for gas, dump station, etc. Love's also has a similar app but they don't have near as many stations with RV Lanes as Flying J.
No sure about the app but using the Pilot/Flying J web site "Locations" tab and "TripPlanner", there is a filter you can use to show just the stations that have the dedicated RV lanes along your route..

We use it all the time and have never had an issue. Ezy in - ezy out along with other RV specific needs at the pump island.

g
Indy Glenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We travel with a printed directory of Pilot/Flying J stations that have both RV lanes and Denny's restaurants (you can do specific sorts on their website). Cannot always get good signal for online research when traveling. Really like the extra room of the RV lanes.

We don't worry about the fuel price difference at Pilot/Flying J (but then we aren't full-timers). When we took the RV plunge, any notion of "economy" anything went out the window...
Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Buy the book "Next Exit", it's about $18. When travelling major roads, once you become familiar with the book you see the icons for RV friendly fueling stations. These are places where entry and exit is easy. Couple it with the gas buddy app and you're all set.
This book has a ton of info about every exit you're going to pass along the way.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #8

I have the discount card from Flying J & haven't used now for 3-4 years. There prices even after discount are 10-15 cents more than stations around them. I also found quite a few of there RV islands to not be RV friendly at all. I use GasBuddy which works just fine. Most not all stations that sell diesel I can get in & out of just fine.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #9

I cant say never, but I almost never see one gas station 15 cents higher than the other stations at the same exit.
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I cant say never, but I almost never see one gas station 15 cents higher than the other stations at the same exit.
Guess you've never been to California. By where I work, TA truck Stop diesel, cash $2.96 Loves Truck Stop $2.94, Chevron $2.75 and no problem getting in & out of the station with any kind of RV. These are off ramps on I-10. Go across the border into Az. Flying J $2.61 a mile down the road $2.41 for diesel again no problem with RV's at either station. That's why I use Gasbuddy. Put 100 gallons in that's a $20.00 savings.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #11

Any large truck stop usually has good access into the place and for gas just aim for the outside pumps. There will be plenty of room to get in and out. Eyeball your exit route at any kind of station before pulling in so you can easily get out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #12

So for a few months, that is since I moved from a flip phone to a smart phone I've been using an app from GAS BUDDY.... that app uses the location of your phone and will give you a map of all the stations and their locations and the PRICING of the fuel with in a 5 or 10 mile radius of your location.... OFTEN the difference is sometimes .25 - .35 cents a gallon on the price..

I have my preferences that I know, that a typical brand will most often have lanes where I can get my RV in and out of....

I personally used to use Flying J a lot but since their failure and purchase by one of the others... some are owned by Pilot, some by Loves, and others by TA I've not found the service/cleanliness/pricing to be competitive... don't get me wrong.... just a couple of weeks ago the Flying J turned up to be .35 cents less expensive so in I went...

BTW - Gas Buddy will ask you to report your findings to them for their data base... it's only as good as its users....
Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Near my house, Pilot is comparable or less than competitive stations in the nearby area.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #14

In the south east many Marathon stations will have 2 or 3 diesel lanes usually on the side or back of the station. Often one lane will be the small nozzle and the others larger diameter.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas