Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 AM   #15

lots of answers.. i was in a "related business" not financing and never saw a MH situtation. my comments relate to auto/small truck gap.
deny, yes, all gap billing detail was on bank/loan company paperwork. and on final sales forms of vehicle purchase
mister T, yes. well said.
gary, i don't know specifics of your 3 comparables. last sentence is right on.
neal, i don't know pricing, but if the gap is large 800 sounds like a good deal.
i never saw gap buy anyone a new vehicle. it just paid the difference between insurance payoff and the debt on totalled vehicle.
dc, i didn't follow. i think you are real close. let me use your numbers.

example. 100k purchase with 80k loan. totalled a year later and value 60k.
insurance pays the 60k. loan balance 75k then insurance would pay 60k
gap would pay 15k (loan amount at that time less insurance payment)

the comments, above, about gap buying a new coach or replacement coach...
i don't think they are correct. but i could see an aggressive finance man throwing words around that would make customer think that! i saw some car owners think that and say, "well where's my new car?"

they were walking away with -0-

they got their loan paid off by insurance and gap. "walking away" wasn't a pun.
but, eliminating a debt would help them as they went to borrow another big pile of money on their next vehicle.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #16

Rockriver that was the point I was trying to get to if your MH becomes a total loss and your loan is higher than what your MH is worth you would still be responsible to the lending company the difference between what you received from insurance company and the value of loan gap insurance would make up that difference and you would be a point zero. When i purchased mine 16 months ago it was $780.00.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #17
RV LIFE Support Team

I guess I am missing something. How can you end up with a loan on your MH that is more than your MH is worth? I guess one way would be via depreciation but wouldn't that be covered by replacement value or agreed value MH insurance. Why wouldn't you get replacement value or agreed value policy vs a gap policy?

Is this a new type of policy the insurance companies have come out with recently? Until this discussion I had never heard of it before.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
GAP insurance buys you a new coach. Otherwise you would get probably some blue book value for your claim.
I'm gonna nitpick here because "gap insurance" is technically a different product than an Agreed Value on a Collision & Comprehensive Loss policy. Many people use the terms interchangeably, but they really should not. Gap Insurance pays off any the loan balance that exceeds the insurance pay-off, whatever it is at the time of loss. Technically it is insurance on the loan, not on the RV, so it never puts money in your pocket. The lender is the payee for the insurance, not you.

If your coverage in the RV collision & comp policy is enough to pay off any loan, you don't need or want any "gap insurance". It may be that a "blue book" Fair Market Value is enough to cover the loan balance, in which case you don't need any extra coverage. But if your loan exceeds 70% or so of the purchase price, Fair Market Value is probably not going to cover the loan payoff throughout most of the loan period. Prudence says you should have insurance to avoid ending up in the hole. You can do that by purchasing gap insurance on the loan, or by increasing your Collision & Comprehensive coverage to pay YOU enough to pay off the RV loan. There are various ways to do that, e.g. new replacement value, agreed value, or purchase price value coverage. Each of those is slightly different, but all pay more than Fair Market Value. Plus, any extra after the loan lien payoff goes into your pocket. You can put it towards a new RV or take a vacation in Aruba. Your choice. With a gap insurance policy, there is no extra in your pocket - the policy just promises to pay off any remaining loan balance after the insurance settlement.

Too many borrowers don't learn what coverage they have until too late. Check your insurance type & amount and compare to your loan balance now, not after an accident. Or take the "sucker bet" advice and avoid the loan in the first place.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
GAP insurance buys you a new coach. Otherwise you would get probably some blue book value for your claim.
NO! GAP insurance protects the lender, not you. It pays the diff between what the insurance company gives you for your totaled rig, AND WHAT YOU OWE. Normal collision/comprehensive pays up to a market value; what you owe is immaterial.

You can get insurance for anything. I will write you a policy on your home as it's burning, no problemo. However, the premium will likely be unbearable.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance