Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

RV Garage Type

Hello,
We are new to RVing and would like some feedback on building a RV garage. We just bought a new (to us) 2008 Newmar Ventana VTDP3332 and want to build a garage for it. We live in Phoenix, AZ so keeping it out of the sun is a major concern. We are thinking of building a 16' to 18' wide garage that's 40' long and 15.5' high at the eaves with a peak height of 17.5'. The door opening would be 14' x 14'. We got quotes from a general contractor for a framed garage with stucco, insulation, foam roof, concrete, electrical and some other work that came to $60k. We also got a quote for a similar "steel building" that comes in around $30k. Although this price is much more attractive to our budget we're concerned about how hot it will get inside a steel building in the middle of summer in Arizona. Does anyone have any experience with this type of building in this climate? Are there ways to insulate/ventilate/cool it that make sense? We're also concerned about the ability to run electricity to different parts of the garage with a steel building and to add shelving for additional storage. Any thoughts?
jerrym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure others will be jumping in to give opinions, but I'd make it 50' long, so it can be used for a 45'er that might be in the future. Very expensive to add after the fact.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I'm sure others will be jumping in to give opinions, but I'd make it 50' long, so it can be used for a 45'er that might be in the future. Very expensive to add after the fact.
You beat me to it!!!

Yes, definitely plan for a longer building to house a longer MH. You'll find that whatever you buy/have will shrink in time forcing you to buy newer and bigger!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Sorry, no experience with the steel buildings, but I strongly suggest making it 50 feet long! I built ours 40 by 30, and am kicking myself now, as Our 38+ footer is 2 inches from each end! I have to either open the big (24x14H) door or go in the side door and out the drivers door to get to the left side of the rig! Spring time project for me-- add 12 feet to the barn! .
My cousin just put up a 40x60 fully insulated steel shop and he has studded up the walls and lined it with 3/8 plywood. Now he can put up all the shelving etc. he wants. He has 2 MH's in it! Good luck on the project, and I wouldn't be afraid to put up steel. I just did the wood so it matches our house, shop and garage.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Morton Building builds an insulated pole barn that has incredible insulation values. They are not inexpensive. There are other pole barn builders out there that also build quality buildings. Do make sure that you have at least 15-6 CLEAR at the door jamb for a 14 foot door. Also if zoning permits consider going higher. It might be nice to be able to get up on the roof indoors.
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

I'm going to assume you're on a big enough lot where your decision is not going to affect your neighbors, HOA's, deed restrictions, or zoning laws. Point being, you may not have a choice.

After that, I don't think there's any question a fully enclosed insulated stick built garage will stay cool longer than a steel carport type when it comes to holding the cooler overnight air longest.

I think which might prove more practical would depend on how you're really going to use it. Is this all about keeping the sun off your coach and maybe some lawn equipment or a boat, or are you looking for more of a man cave? Will it need to be fully enclosed?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Steel buildings are usually insulated so if you choose a light, reflective color, heat won't be hard to deal with though stucco looks nicer. I'm in Florida so I had my garage built with concrete block and have a 10 foot attic. The garage stays quite cool for most of the day. If you are concerned with heat, concrete block insulates quite well.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Morton Building builds an insulated pole barn that has incredible insulation values. They are not inexpensive. There are other pole barn builders out there that also build quality buildings. Do make sure that you have at least 15-6 CLEAR at the door jamb for a 14 foot door. Also if zoning permits consider going higher. It might be nice to be able to get up on the roof indoors.
Which is another way of saying that they are EXPENSIVE! I've gotten quotes from them, but I think they were way out of line. Don't get me wrong. They build a good building, and it's turn key, but pretty up there!

We are doing a building from Steel Buildings & Metal Buildings | American Steel Span Just ordered today. It is 30' wide x 76' long x 16 feet tall at the peak. We will put in footers with a two foot stub wall, a 14 tall x 12 wide door, and a personnel door, plus a personnel door at the other end (I like the idea of a 2nd option for egress in case of some type of OOPS! Concrete floor, wired, and with water and dump. We'll probably take delivery in late Feb or early March. Gives us time to get the footer/slab in. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym2 View Post
Hello,
We are new to RVing and would like some feedback on building a RV garage. We just bought a new (to us) 2008 Newmar Ventana VTDP3332 and want to build a garage for it. We live in Phoenix, AZ so keeping it out of the sun is a major concern. We are thinking of building a 16' to 18' wide garage that's 40' long and 15.5' high at the eaves with a peak height of 17.5'. The door opening would be 14' x 14'. We got quotes from a general contractor for a framed garage with stucco, insulation, foam roof, concrete, electrical and some other work that came to $60k. We also got a quote for a similar "steel building" that comes in around $30k. Although this price is much more attractive to our budget we're concerned about how hot it will get inside a steel building in the middle of summer in Arizona. Does anyone have any experience with this type of building in this climate? Are there ways to insulate/ventilate/cool it that make sense? We're also concerned about the ability to run electricity to different parts of the garage with a steel building and to add shelving for additional storage. Any thoughts?

Jerry,
We're you're close neighbors to the NW, Lake Havasu City. We've been here for just over 2.5 years. We purchased a brand new home, with an RV garage attached. The interior dimensions are 16' x 53' long. The door width is 12' and height is 13'. The interior is large enough for us to deploy the slides and I can still get around at least one side of it. Just like you and your climate there, we can get a bit WARM too, to say the least.

While the coach does sit in a well insulated, well built garage, it will still climb in temp inside. For that, shortly after we moved in, I had a 7500 Cu.Ft. Swamp cooler installed. Man, what a difference. The coach stays at a mere 80 degrees in some of Lake Havasus hottest months.

I cannot comment on a steel building for that same kind of atmosphere. I suspect it can get pretty toasty in one of those. When we were looking for a home here, we contacted a couple of contractors and it would have run us about $70K for the addition of an RV garage to a place that didn't have one.

So, we purchased a home WITH ONE. Anyway, without a doubt, keeping your nice, rolling Kleenex box covered in the AZ sun, is the best thing you can do for it. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may consider a not fully enclosed carport / RVport - roof and half sides - or similar. $5k-$10k, depending on size and floor. Provides a large percentage of desired protection for a fraction of the cost.

As others have said, make it big enough for the next RV. At least 50' long and 18-20' wide, if the space is available.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym2 View Post
Hello,
We built a 30x45' that is completely finished inside and out, it has 16' ceilings and 2x6" framing for better insulation and it cost 54 K. We have full hook ups as well. We also have a small bathroom. I agree do a 50 if you can, I wasn't able to due to property restrictions. We could of done this cheaper if we didn't match the tile roof and the stone that is on the house. I Think you should get 3 bids. We live in the Sacremento area that has very high heat in the summer, and it is rarely over 80 degrees inside the shop. Regards
Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Pic atatched
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	149019  
Old 01-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We are in the same boat. Keeping it out of the sun is more important than protecting it from the cold. Swamp coolers don't work in our part of the country, so it would have to be full blown AC to keep it cool if it was enclosed. We keep it plugged in so the few nights of freezing weather, we keep it around 42 degrees. We can run the generator or the diesel burner where it sits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0251.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	149029  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've been researching insulation for metal buildings and found this, insulation4less.com. It's a radiant barrier material. If the write ups are accurate, it will make a huge difference in a metal building. Agree with everyone on the length...minimum 50'. Our Pole Barn is 60'x38'. The RV bay is 60'x22' and patio is 60'x16'.