Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How well does an Ipad work when there's no cell service in the area you're in?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
How well does an Ipad work when there's no cell service in the area you're in?

Mine works perfectly..

As posted further up, I use CoPilot and iExit, neither of which requires a cellular connection.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #45

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is CoPilot and iExit? How do they work?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #46

CoPilot is a navigation software package, basically a customizable database of maps that you download into your device. Because the maps are on the device it doesn't need a data connection to fetch them. There are worldwide maps available and the USA maps are available as regional segments to limit how much of your available storage you consume.

iExit is a really slick little app that is an extremely limited data package, it contains only the information about the Interstate and major highways and what is at each exit along the way. It not only shows you what's there, but it also gives you phone numbers so in the case of say a hotel, you can call ahead. It is also searchable, if for instance you're looking for your preferred brand of gas station, it also shows if they're 'easy on & off' locations. It also shows if the location you are looking at isn't right on the highway, how far in what direction it is. It again is onboard your unit so I doesn't need a data connection either.

If however, like me, your iPad is wifi only, you will need a GPS dongle such as the Bad Elf units I use.

One of the things I really like about CoPilot is that a) the iPads processor is incredibly fast compared to that of dedicated GPS, and b) the data is onboard and doesn't need to be fetched each time, the whole system is incredibly fast and smooth.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #47

Do you use the copilot truck? To me the only reason to give up/supplement Waze/Google maps is the ability to add in height/weight/length for road restrictions.

... And from what I am reading the Garmin/RM doesn't seem to be that great at that. It's the smaller roads (that don't sound like they are included) that get ya.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #48

How often do you guys run into height clearance problems?

I'm still new to this.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #49

Knock on wood ... Not yet. I took my first trip out west this year and California is the one state that made me consider a RV GPS ... And it was more because they have some crazy rules for 40+ft motorhomes and what roads they can use.

In the back of my mind it is also interesting when Waze wants me to get off to avoid 30+ min of traffic and the adventure that could be. Generally I check when it reroutes and if it doesn't save me 15+ minutes when driving the RV I don't even bother.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
Knock on wood ... Not yet. I took my first trip out west this year and California is the one state that made me consider a RV GPS ... And it was more because they have some crazy rules for 40+ft motorhomes and what roads they can use.

In the back of my mind it is also interesting when Waze wants me to get off to avoid 30+ min of traffic and the adventure that could be. Generally I check when it reroutes and if it doesn't save me 15+ minutes when driving the RV I don't even bother.

Yeah, my rule is generally stay the course.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So I'm new to Copilot and iExit, first I ever heard of them. Do these show your vehicle and where you are in relation to the map or is more of a electric version of a paper map, and you estimate where you are in relation to the map?
Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I use CoPilot and my Ford GPS simultaneously. When the disagree I stop and use human logic. CoPilot has the height of my trailer, the Ford GPS doesn't.

CoPilot does track your position like any other GPS if you use the CoPilot GPS version.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
So I'm new to Copilot and iExit, first I ever heard of them. Do these show your vehicle and where you are in relation to the map or is more of a electric version of a paper map, and you estimate where you are in relation to the map?
You can download a free simple version of CoPilot to your smartphone and get an idea of what is does.

You want to pay for the RV version to actually travel as the RV has more features especially setting the height and length of your RV. That keeps from scraping you AC units off of your roof with a low bridge.

Because of the Android and IOS licensing, you can use CoPilot on multiple devices. I plan my trips on my Note 5 smartphone and transfer the trips to the Samsung Tab a 10 tablets for driving. Each of us uses a tablet, allows for different displays.

I have been using CoPilot since 2003. It is a very good product developed from a major trucking software company who developed routing software that truckers trust.

For perspective, a tablet and the RV version of CoPilot is a lot less than a Garmin RV version GPS unit.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had two or three GPS units. One being the Rand McNally that ceased to have any sound after one year. It also would send me on routes that were way longer than needed. Bought the Garmin 760 last year and I'm more than pleased with it. Took it on a 3,000+ mile trip and it performed flawlessly. I would recommend it.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
You can download a free simple version of CoPilot to your smartphone and get an idea of what is does.

You want to pay for the RV version to actually travel as the RV has more features especially setting the height and length of your RV. That keeps from scraping you AC units off of your roof with a low bridge.

Because of the Android and IOS licensing, you can use CoPilot on multiple devices. I plan my trips on my Note 5 smartphone and transfer the trips to the Samsung Tab a 10 tablets for driving. Each of us uses a tablet, allows for different displays.

I have been using CoPilot since 2003. It is a very good product developed from a major trucking software company who developed routing software that truckers trust.

For perspective, a tablet and the RV version of CoPilot is a lot less than a Garmin RV version GPS unit.

If you already own a tablet, I think CoPilot is a great option. It's a $40 app and since you download the maps at the start, you don't need a data connection (which is becoming less and less of a problem these days).

And if you are using the app and tablet already you can augment that with additional apps for traveling like iExit, RVParky, etc. And, I downloaded all my RV's schematics and drawings from Winnebago on to the tablet so I will always have them with me.
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #56

Google Maps in my Samsung S6 phone has been getting me around the country with no issues. I'm not going to spend lots of $$$ on a GPS when it's free in my phone.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps