RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #1

RV GPS update

Hi all. We have a GPS built in our infocenter (information?) in our 2013 Itasca Meridian.
Is there a way to install a Garmin GPS instead of what is in there now?
If yes how?
Thanks to all as always.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If we're me, I would purchase a RV760LMT or a RV770LMT when it comes out and put it in a bean bag mount on the dash. You can see it without totally looking away from the road and the passenger can play with it if needed.

LEN
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #3

I like the Garmin RV760LMT a lot. Big screen, easy to input campground coordinates from RV Trip Wizard so that it takes me to the front entrance to the CG, good spoken instructions on which lane I need to be in, Bluetooth so I can control my cell phone from right in front of me (most often simply rejecting a call), and others.

But, Garmin RV760LMT has its limitations. I never trust its routes without checking – I learned this after it took me an hour out of the way to get to an interstate last year instead of taking a perfectly good state highway. So now I check my FMCA road atlas, as well as Google maps and my TomTom, both of which let me review all details of the route beforehand. If Garmin RV760LMT lets me preview the route, I have not yet figured it out.

I now use both the Garmin RV760LMT and my TomTom side-by-side on the dash. I do this mainly because the TomTom gives me so much more information than the Garmin – total miles to destination, time to destination (in addition to arrival time), a pointer to north, and probably a couple of others that I have forgotten. But if there is a conflict between the two while on the road, I take the TomTom-recommended route.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Thanks all for your input. I agree and I already have RV760LMT and probably get RV770LMT when out.
My question was since the GPS installed originally in the coach is sitting idle may be i can update it to a useful GPS.
How to change is the question?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNJeffers View Post
I like the Garmin RV760LMT a lot. Big screen, easy to input campground coordinates from RV Trip Wizard so that it takes me to the front entrance to the CG, good spoken instructions on which lane I need to be in, Bluetooth so I can control my cell phone from right in front of me (most often simply rejecting a call), and others.

But, Garmin RV760LMT has its limitations. I never trust its routes without checking – I learned this after it took me an hour out of the way to get to an interstate last year instead of taking a perfectly good state highway. So now I check my FMCA road atlas, as well as Google maps and my TomTom, both of which let me review all details of the route beforehand. If Garmin RV760LMT lets me preview the route, I have not yet figured it out.

I now use both the Garmin RV760LMT and my TomTom side-by-side on the dash. I do this mainly because the TomTom gives me so much more information than the Garmin – total miles to destination, time to destination (in addition to arrival time), a pointer to north, and probably a couple of others that I have forgotten. But if there is a conflict between the two while on the road, I take the TomTom-recommended route.

Wayne
I have an older Garmin 3700 and when I touch the "Speed" icon on the screen it shows most of that info along with some other info. The RV760 doesn't? I've thought about upgrading to the RV760. Maybe I'll see what its replacement offers instead.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps