Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rv insurance

I just insured our 2006 Excursion 39v with Good Sams(gmac). I was blown away at the cost. 1600.00 per year. Does anyone have a better alternative or suggestion. The price might be right but it sure seems high to me
stevemiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller2 View Post
I just insured our 2006 Excursion 39v with Good
Sams(gmac). I was blown away at the cost. 1600.00 per year. Does anyone have a better alternative or suggestion. The price might be right but it sure seems high to me
I recently stopped GS.GMAC due to their big increase in our mh premium. Ours had gone up much more than your quote per year. Ended up with long time local agent using SAFECO. I admit to good service with GMAC thru GS, but I felt the big increase was to much. I suggest you shop a little for better peace ot mind and maybe a save in $$.
Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

I had mine through Progressive for about 600.00 per year full coverage. 2002 model. I am sure it goes up each year model but you would not think that much. You can go online with progressive and get a free comparable quote
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got the best coverage and price from Farm & City Insurance Services, Ph: 800-331-1520, ask for Robin. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Community Administrator

I have used Gilbert RV Insurance ( 888-784-6787 )for 12 years. They've switched Ins. Co's three times for me to keep my rates down. I live in Fl. and rates frequently get raised.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

I know this has been debated and debated not only on this forum but on numerous RV forums so there really isn't a right way or wrong way to buy RV insurance. One can either shop for the best rates themselves or let an agent do it. In the beginning, we too thought that going to Good Sam (an exclusive selling agent for GMAC) or shopping around for the best rates ourselves was the way to do it. Many years later, we are convinced that going through an independent agency specializing in RV insurance and using the right agent is the best way to get the best rates. We let them do the shopping and they seem to be able to find rates better than we could at the exact same insurance companies for some strange reason. You'd think it would be just the opposite.

We've been switched several times from one insurance company to another by our agent to get the best rates. We often thought that staying with the same company was the thing to do but our agent convinced us that it is not really worth being loyal to one company. He has convinced us that the goal is to keep our costs down (our premiums) and that service from on insurer to another isn't that great to justify loyalty. Again, this is something that we never agreed with but now are coming around to agree with our agent. True, the agent is making a commission each time he switches us to a new company but if it saves us money, then maybe he's right. If he's just churning us to make commissions, then it would be another story. However, when he sees our premiums start to skyrocket for no reason, he starts shopping around for another carrier at renewal time.

We've used Miller in Oregon in the past and are now with Poliseek. I know many do not like Poliseek but the agent we have there is terrific and really goes overboard to save us money. He will do all the shopping around plus doing things like getting multi-policy discounts when we can combine auto/RV/Home/liability umbrella/boat/vacation home (or a combination of one or more of those with one company) to get some money-saving discounts. We are convinced that he can get us better rates than if we personally shopped for all our policies on our own.

He has had our motorhome with GMAC for the past two years now and we are paying about $650/year at GMAC. We haven't yet had the big hike from them that some of you have. But we know when it comes, our agent will find something else and we are not really loyal to GMAC.

Places like Miller and Poliseek are agents for a wide range of carriers. Poliseek especially has a huge range of carriers they are agents for and they cover many more states than Miller. We now use Poliseek for all our insurance coverages. There are quite a few regional independent agencies too so take a look in your local area for these types of agencies that specialize in RV insurance.

Again, I know not all will agree that using an independent agent is the best way to buy insurance rather than shopping for it yourself but for us it works and works well.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
I went through Miller Insurance who set me up with Progressive. It turned out that their 12 month rate is only $100 more than Good Sam (GMAC) 6 month quote. So I am with Progressive.
Good Luck,
Leon
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller2 View Post
I just insured our 2006 Excursion 39v with Good Sams(gmac). I was blown away at the cost. 1600.00 per year. Does anyone have a better alternative or suggestion. The price might be right but it sure seems high to me
Progressive. 780.00 per year in S. Florida. Give them a call
Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We've been happy with National Interstate. You need to shop around several insurers - there is no single right company for each person. There can be huge premium cots differences for seemingly small variations in RV, home location, personal circumstances, etc. So shop around - or get an independent agency to shop for you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rv insurance

when I said 1600.00 it was at Good Sam and Progressive. is this about
right or am I missing something
stevemiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

The only possible way to tell whether your insurance rate is competitive is to get quotes for identical coverage from different companies. Insurance rates vary significantly depending on where you live, state rules, your lifestyle, your credit score, your driving record and age, and how eager a company is for your business. Even identical people (if there were such a thing) will pay different rates in different locations. We changed storage lots from one zip code to an adjacent one and our rate changed noticeably. Progressive (if you do not mind the politics), National Interstate, GEICO, Blue Sky, GMAC, and USAA are some of the more frequently mentioned companies writing rv coverage.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Insurance

We were with Blue Sky the first year, and no problems with a claim we had to file, so top marks to them. However when it was time to renew I checked around and found that I could save a lot by adding to my existing automobile insurance rather than having a separate policy just for the MH. We're now with SAFECO and my total for MH and two cars is a lot less than the two previous policies. I will admit that the RV only insurance included coverages that the car insurance does not -- like Mexico insurance included and larger personal belongings coverage.
ChuckinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Progresive and live in Colorado. My coverage is for a 2008 Bounder (gas) 38P workhorse chassis. I just renewed at 1200.00 per year with 1000.00 deductable for comp and collision. While this may seem a lot to some I am more concerned with how I will be treated if I have a claim. Progressive was in the top regarding claims. I have not had one (knock on wood) so cannot testify from experience. Just my two cents worth.
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick
The only possible way to tell whether your insurance rate is competitive is to get quotes for identical coverage from different companies. Insurance rates vary significantly depending on where you live, state rules, your lifestyle, your credit score, your driving record and age, and how eager a company is for your business. Even identical people (if there were such a thing) will pay different rates in different locations. We changed storage lots from one zip code to an adjacent one and our rate changed noticeably. Progressive (if you do not mind the politics), National Interstate, GEICO, Blue Sky, GMAC, and USAA are some of the more frequently mentioned companies writing rv coverage.
USAA used to use Foremost but now only go to Progressive. So I am looking elsewhere.

Jerry
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance