RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #1

RV Insurance

Our RV insurance seems very high. The rate went up almost $400 in the last 2 years. Our rig is a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. They want $983. Does that seem reasonable? Or should I look elsewhere? I checked Geico, which was twice as high. It all seems like a huge amount of money for something we drive 3 weeks a year and have in secure storage for the remainder. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Saladnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #2

There is no excuse for what the insurance industry pulls on the consumer - and the INSTANT that you need anything back from them, they will twist themselves into knots to declare that whatever you need is not covered and they don't have to pay.

They have no loyalty to the consumer, and return consumer loyalty with continually-increasing rates. Your only option is to vote with your wallet and search out another option among all the bad options.

But be smart about it, use an "incognito" window on your browser and CLOSE THE WINDOW COMPLETELY between each search of a different company. Otherwise there is a high chance of tracking "cookies" in your browser being detected and they will just record the previous quote and add dollars to it - as a penalty for just not accepting their first "generous" offer of coverage.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

I've found that using an independent insurance agency is the best way to find insurance, especially if you have multiple insurance lines (home, auto, RV, etc.)

Independent agents can shop your insurance needs to multiple companies, and ours was able to find a much better deal than what I was able to find by contacting the companies directly. The other big advantage is that you have an advocate when you have a loss. Our agent was able to make connection with people at our company to get a claim handled when I was just hitting dead ends.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladnut View Post
Our RV insurance seems very high. The rate went up almost $400 in the last 2 years. Our rig is a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. They want $983. Does that seem reasonable? Or should I look elsewhere? I checked Geico, which was twice as high. It all seems like a huge amount of money for something we drive 3 weeks a year and have in secure storage for the remainder. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

One way to save some money is to take collision coverage off while you are not using it. Saves me about $100 for every month I take off the collision coverage.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't believe our rates went down this year on Allstate car/RV insurance $250
Since are usage is way down due to COVID, we are getting rebates back, and have dropped Comp and Collusion. RVs sit more than 98% of the time. Savings are over $2000 now over Progressive.
Shop around, don't put up with rate increases.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our rig is a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. They want $983. Does that seem reasonable?
Depending on where you are, yeah it does. I'm guessing at least half of that is liability coverage and the rest collision & comprehensive. Some rural areas have lower liability rates, but most metro areas and the East Coast region are routinely higher. Loss statistics bear that out.

If you aren't driving it, you can often suspend liability and collision, saving a bundle. Keep the Comp in case of fire or a falling tree. Also make sure the insured value stated in the policy is up to date - they will charge you for the amount shown even though they actually pay on current Fair Market Value.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #7

2016 Coachmen Prism - stated value $65k with roadside assistance and $0 ded. on glass with Progressive is ~$450/yr. Montana based (for real)
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladnut View Post
Seems cheap to me...

I have collector cars I drive for 30 minutes twice a year and pay that...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

Two years ago, my insurance was going up $300 to $2100 on our 2013 Allegro Bus with a $230,000 value. I shopped and switched the Bus and three vehicles over to Geico. The MH premium is under $1,000 annual with $500 ded. We had a $3,000 windshield claim 10 days after coverage started and no increase in premium,,,,,,,,yet. We are based in WI, but spend 6 months in AZ and travel 10,000 miles/year. So far, we couldn't be happier.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There are simply far too many variables to say whether anybody's particular premium is high or low. Heck, here in Florida premiums nearly double simply by moving from the more rural north and panhandle regions to the congested southeast & southwest coasts. One of the big factors there is the high incidence of accidents caused by uninsured motorists in the south.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

I've found that using an independent insurance agency is the best way to find insurance, especially if you have multiple insurance lines (home, auto, RV, etc.)
+2 on trying your Ins Agent...

When I bought my Class A, the quotes from the major Ins companies (Progressive, Good Sam, Nationwide, Geico, USAA, and a couple of others), were split into two categories... they were either around $2100/year or $1600/year...

We have our home with an Allstate Ins Agent. She recently beat the cost and coverage of AAA Ins on my 3 motorcycles. I decided to just give her a shot at the RV...

For my RV, she got me same or better coverage than the other quotes and at $1100/year... I really didn't expect that, but was pleasantly surprised..

There is no guarantee, an agent will do you better than the others....mine is human, when she couldn't beat the rate that Wawanesa gives me on our two cars, she said, "I can't beat that one, make sure to renew that policy.."

But she was much better on my other policies and won our business..

If you use an insurance agent, give them a shot...
Old 01-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #12

We use Farm Bureau, have for 15+ years, owned the vehicle since new in 2002
. We pay less than $100 per year, I just got the renewal for next year, it is like $68 for the whole year.
Don Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #13

Check out hartford/aarp for all your vehicles and home too. For my 2016 winnebago forza i pay about $650 annually. 3/4 of that is comprehensive. $1m liability is only about $80 of the total.
I have never found anybody to touch their price.
awol50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ours is 770.00 a year with progressive (normal coverages) on our 97 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance