RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I’m sure it’s been best to death before, but I’m having a difficult time determining what the most versatile size RV will be for our adventure. The list of places we could bring in a 44’ coach seems To be significantly less than something 40’ and under.

We love the space an extra 3-4’ allows us and know the floor plan we want but don’t want to buy something that’s really going to prevent us from accessing state and national parks etc.

We will be traveling w/ 3 kids and 2 adults, no pets, for 2-4 months at a time and towing a 4-door Jeep.

Budget isn’t an issue in terms of a nights stay, fuel consumption, coach etc. We just don’t want to limit ourselves to where we can go just for an extra 3-4’.

Any links to previous discussions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Not to worry if you pick the 40' - 45' really very little difference in spots.

Less than 30' and more than 30' might be a little more competitive as to need to select length, once you push the 30' limit you are IMHO good to do all the way to 45'.

I'm at 43' and have been and will continue to go to almost anywhere with the only issue being hookups or not.

JMHO,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #16

Be sure to measure for exactness, some states have restrictions. The ferry we took had a 65’ restriction. So, we measured, 39 ‘ with toad =62’. Don’t forget the laws. Most don’t know or care, ok for them,
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
We have a 36' coach with IFS and can shoehorn it into to some pretty tight sites. I've been camping and seen 45' coaches try to get into sites they've paid for but don't fit. However with that many people in a coach no matter what size you get it's going to be crowded. Good Luck and Good Coach Hunting.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe when you start getting above 35 ft, your options start getting limited, especially at older privately run parks, and some government run, i.e. city, county, state, and federal parks.

We tend to stay at these types of places and have found limitations on spaces, even with our 35 ft Southwind.

With this said, If I was traveling with that sixe crew, I'd want all the room I could get.. :-)

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Ours is a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star and it has a tag axle. That said, we used to have a larger coach and from that experience, I would suggest that with three kids you really need to think about a bunk bed model.

The Newmar 4310 DSDP would give you two bunks and they have a special sofa that you may be able to get in that FP that converts to two more bunks. There is also a second full bath for the kids.

https://newmarcorp-8c1e.kxcdn.com/wp...ochure-web.pdf
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #20

RV length for multi-month cross-country travel - under 40’ vs over 40’

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Ours is a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star and it has a tag axle. That said, we used to have a larger coach and from that experience, I would suggest that with three kids you really need to think about a bunk bed model.

The Newmar 4310 DSDP would give you two bunks and they have a special sofa that you may be able to get in that FP that converts to two more bunks. There is also a second full bath for the kids.

https://newmarcorp-8c1e.kxcdn.com/wp...ochure-web.pdf

We’re going to see that coach soon. We love the DS4313 w the rear bunk room and bath and a half. We’ve gone back and forth with bunks on the side vs in the back. However, I think the 4312 might be the best solution. We do have three seating options in the living area, a queen bed and bath and a half.

The other option is an American Coach 42QB w the bunks in the rear and similar setup. The choice hasn’t been easy and there are two, possibly three really good options. It’s been a tough choosing what route to go. First-world rich people problems I know....
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel