Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I work as a Ranger at a campground. If you have made your reservation in advance then we have most of the information that we need and check-in is quick and easy. If you show up without a reservation and want a discount, then there will be a delay. My campground just started with Passport America and I do not know how to enter that discount (I WILL learn.) I personally have PA and love using it, but I usually make my reservations in advance and have never had to wait because of a discount.

I am learning my job so please be patient. Next year I will be able to check you in quickly and easily.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #44

Smile

...THANKS!...as the original poster to this thread and subject, I see that we all have many and various comments and thoughts regarding the 'rv park check in process'... thanks for all of your feedback

I suspect, also, that even as we all read and responded, our own attitudes and feelings at that moment were inbedded in the feedback. Simply put, I know that I have good days where check in is just another part of the day and no great positive or negative either way. I have days when I arrive and both I and the check-in'r' both are on great terms. I've had days when I arrived with a good attitude and the employee is not having a very good day - and maybe I helped brighten the few minutes I was there. I've had days when I arrive with a less-than-best attitude, the employee had a great one - and it helped brighten mine. Then, there's the worst of times when both of us are not on best of days.

Let me sum up my original thread thoughts:
- those of us who are parked much of the time, or travel less frequently, may have a different mind set for the length and breadth of the process versus those of us who may be checking into a different park almost every night while traveling.
- park owners/managers/operators may not have a real world knowledge of the 'day in the life' of the rv traveler. I've asked many during my stays at different parks and the response is fairly similar from so many - they've never really rv'd or traveled extensively themselves, or have never experienced the check in process from other parks.
- park owners feel the need the integrate 'software' systems to stay up with the times. While most of us would agree that this sounds reasonable, many of the software programs could be part of the problem. They request/require many fields of input, create roadblocks for the employee when a field is not entered/input correctly, and some programs can just be not very user friendly. As part of this subject, as some parks 'assign' sites, many of the programs require a 'length of rv' field, which can sometimes block a site, due to the input length of the rv - but it's a site that may actually be more than deep enough, even with a toad, or at least create scenerios where you would be very satisfied with a site, but the 'program' won't allow it's selection due to your stated length. This is why I always understate my true length - I can always request another site if it's truly not workable, but it gives me many more options when checking in.
- what is the true need for all of the information that the check in process requires at certain parks? Those of us who travel have seen this from a to z and are always amazed and awed at parks who just make it simple. And, although every park has every right to ask every question they want, as several of you have stated, it's not always that every question is required an answer - it's just part of the software. Will they not let us stay without a phone number? You may get a strange look, and a re-request, but it's doubtful. What about your email address? Is it used for some reason for your stay, such as a emailed receipt? Or, is it used some time in the future for advertising? Or, again, is it just one of the fields on the software? I don't know.
- some time, in the heat of the day, during the rush of check ins, employees may need to be empowered to realize that getting the customer to their site is paramount - the rest can usually and easily be accomplished in a little while. Training new employees on the software and check in process should also probably be saved for slow times and after hours, though I understand that for some even that is easier said than done.

some thoughts - keep up the good travels
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #45

I enjoy reading threads like this when there is a "customer service" issue (no customer service) and all the excuses that follow why they experienced no "customer service" for some they don't mind handing their hard earned $$ to an unappreciative business, me, I like to spend my $$ where I'm not being treated like the Business Owner/Employee is doing ME a favor....
Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #46

well said
Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #47

As a campground owner and a camper, I really enjoyed this thread. I am always trying to streamline the process. Like just about every business, we need to be computerized. For the most part, this simplifies the process but as some have mentioned, it can also occasionally cause a problem. We are required to have a phone number to proceed with a reservation but we get past that by entering our park # if someone doesn't want to give theirs. We very seldom need the number but when needed, it's great to have. People occasionally checkout and forget something on their site so we give them a call. If they're out and we have bad weather coming, we may call to remind them that their awning is out. If an alarm goes off in their RV when they're not around, we'll try to call. As for email addresses, we use them to send check-in information in advance so that the check-ins are faster. We remind folks that we need their car license plate # at check-in time so that they don't have to go back outside to get it.
Each morning before opening, we make a packet for each check-in. It includes an invoice showing payments and a balance if there is one, a car tag, a site map and an activity schedule with things going on in our park and in the area. We do ask for the names of people occupying the site but for kids only ask for their first names. This comes in handy when we get emergency calls for someone other then the person who registered for the site. We have to have a way to look them up. It happens more then you might realize.
I've never had a complaint about checking in, it's me who feels the need to make it quick and easy. Most customers like to chat, ask questions and are not in a hurry. If there's a line, we really try to speed things up. Great comments from everyone and believe me, what you say is noted. The better we meet the needs of our campers, the more often they come back to visit. BTW, we are a Mom and Pop type of campground.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #48

good info, good read ...
I find that most 'Mom and Pop' parks are easier, less 'corporate', and more fun to interact with since THEY are the business. I actually like to hear how they got into the business, how they've developed it, how they handle technology demands like Wifi internet, and who they try to cater mostly to.

Most of any aggravations we've had were more of the 'resort' and large corporate owned parks with their own necessary demands during check in.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Wondering about length of motor homes at state camping grounds. What's to big?
Is it better to buy smaller like 33 ft
zeebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #50

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Nice to know that! We're looking forward to going there. Our experience was at Pacific Shores in Newport Oregon. One of our favorite relax by the ocean places.
Pacific Shores is nice, almost bought lot 105 years ago. Did get caught there during a storm, woke up to 6" of water under our new Type C MH we had at the time so that would have been '97 or '98. Had to carry the dogs over to dry land for a potty break. 75 mph winds and that rig didn't have leveling jacks so got tossed around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 PM   #51

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebuild View Post
Wondering about length of motor homes at state camping grounds. What's to big?
Is it better to buy smaller like 33 ft
We've been in some with our 40' DP, others won't take that large a rig. With our present 45' 50,000# rig towing a Honda Odyssey I'm not even going to try!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 AM   #52

Hey mrebele, I like your business model and customer service attitude. I'm putting you on my list of campgrounds to visit. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #53

Hi mrebele, would you mind giving us a hint as to the name of your park. One of our trip choices for this spring is up into your area so who knows, we may want to just stop by and check you out!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote