RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Refurbishing

Anybody tried to dye your dash pad a different color? We're having all new tile floors and carpet on the slide outs installed in a grey color. I'm having the captains chairs done in a matching ultra leather. So, the off white dash pad is going to look out of place since the white leather couch is going away as well as the off white carpet. I'd like to do the dash in a grey color as well.

I know there are companies that do this but was hoping to save some money and do it myself if someone else has done it with good results. I'm $14k into the renovations so far with Classic Coach Works in Ormond Beach, FL and I have other things I want to do but I need to keep the costs down if I can.

BTW.......I highly recommend Classis Coach Works. We spent most of the day with Alan Williams, the owner and he couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Their prices are not cheap but they are so covered up with Class A diesel pushers getting remodeled that they didn't have anywhere to park our coach!! I can't wait to see the work they do. I'll post some pics.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There are a lot of vinyl spray paint options available at auto parts stores. Might be worth looking into.

Also you could have a dash pad cover type thing made. I have one and it’s a pretty nice looking piece. I’ll post a pic in the morning with the mfgr info, if I remember...
Old 08-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash pad pics and info:
https://www.shadepro.net/
https://www.shadepro.net/?s=dash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	898F0FD3-53BC-49FB-A3EE-3BF33D8E26A3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	299253   Click image for larger version

Name:	D35D1C1F-8E12-4BF1-9A28-C3D2E0B755B6.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	299254  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE5E5E92-DA4B-4600-8931-DF19B081F79E.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	299255   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE300475-EA0C-43B0-966B-D30230A38C87.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	299256  

Old 08-31-2020, 01:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
This coach has the standard two tone tan/black dash. Another I looked at has a special order all tan dash. I liked both and since I bought used had to take what I could get and this dash cover accomplishes the appearance and heat fix of the mono-color tan dash and it also provides a nice surface. it’s never hot to the touch and stuff pretty much stays put on it. I don’t know what the cover cost but Id say it was worth it. And the fit and detail make it look like a factory option. It’s clearly custom made for my model and not a one-size-fits-all clumsy attempt. It looks a little lumpy in the night-time flashlight pics, but in person it’s quite pleasing.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
When you pick a dash color, don't forget all the reflections in your field of view on a sunny day. Sometimes I have to use a dark towel to block them.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:28 AM   #6

I used a product similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/ColorBond-65-...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Several years ago on a Ford van customization. Worked well, lasted the 5 years I owned it. It goes on like spray paint, so, surface prep and spray technique impact the results and durability.

If you remove the dash to paint it, might as well recover it maybe. Paint it in place if you protect the entire cab area from overspray.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
This coach has the standard two tone tan/black dash. Another I looked at has a special order all tan dash. I liked both and since I bought used had to take what I could get and this dash cover accomplishes the appearance and heat fix of the mono-color tan dash and it also provides a nice surface. itís never hot to the touch and stuff pretty much stays put on it. I donít know what the cover cost but Id say it was worth it. And the fit and detail make it look like a factory option. Itís clearly custom made for my model and not a one-size-fits-all clumsy attempt. It looks a little lumpy in the night-time flashlight pics, but in person itís quite pleasing.
Looks nice!
Old 08-31-2020, 03:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
When you pick a dash color, don't forget all the reflections in your field of view on a sunny day. Sometimes I have to use a dark towel to block them.
My dash tilts down and away from me on my 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. No worries there for me!
Old 08-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post

Several years ago on a Ford van customization. Worked well, lasted the 5 years I owned it. It goes on like spray paint, so, surface prep and spray technique impact the results and durability.

If you remove the dash to paint it, might as well recover it maybe. Paint it in place if you protect the entire cab area from overspray.
Classic Coach Works where I have my coach being refurbished, has a vendor that comes in a truck. He does the dye job for them. I'm sure it's expensive but I don't have a price yet. I'm thinking of adding this to the repair order....
Old 08-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #10

if you have a rig in a refurbing shop ask them if recoating dash is something they will do. There is probibly several professional grade sprays they have access to.
Dennisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:10 PM   #11

Used to be a product called Mar Hyde.......worked really good for changing colors.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post

Looks like great product! I may have to give this a try.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisok View Post
if you have a rig in a refurbing shop ask them if recoating dash is something they will do. There is probibly several professional grade sprays they have access to.
I'm going to ask but if the prices are like everything else I think I'll try it myself first. This is a project I can tackle with my time constraints. But redoing the floors etc. was too much project for me to tackle with my limited available time.

Tags
refurbish