Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

Question Rv Repairs in Naples, FL

Hi guys/gals, bought a 1998 Monaco Dynasty few months ago, weather soon will be better and want to use my new(to me) RV to go traveling with family.
Unfortunately RV got few problems, AC do not work at all, fridge do not cool on AC or LP (Norcold 1200LM), batteries do not get charge from generator (Onan 7500) and few more bugs here and there.
Wondering if any of you know a independent RV mechanic in the Naples, FL area that can help me out with my Monaco. I do know of few big RV dealers in the area, but i am afraid that with all the problems the RV have, repairs will be in the millions at any official RV place, unfortunately i can`t afford that.
It may be somebody with some experience and willing to make money doing the repairs, just not me losing an arm and a leg over it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Troady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You shouldn't expect that a mobile RV repair service will be any cheaper than an RV dealer. They're just more convenient.

A neighbor in our RV park on the SE FL coast had a black tank blockage. The RV guy came out, worked 40 minutes and charged him $250.

Unless the fix is as simple as resetting a circuit breaker, expect to pay $1000 to $1500 for each AC (the high end includes new circuit boards and thermostats, often needed for older RV's).

I've helped a handyman in our park replace 7 AC's so far this year. The two of us can take 2-4 hours (4-8 man-hours) to swap out an AC. The longer time includes the new control board and thermostat. He only charges $50/hour, where a mobile RV service may charge up to $150/hour with time starting at his business.

A new Norcold might be in the $4-5K range plus installation. These fridges are a known fire hazard and the fix is to add a high temperature safety switch. If the switch gets activated then, for the most part, the fridge requires replacement. Some people install a residential refrigerator (along with more batteries and an inverter). This gets rid of the pesky absorption refrigerator at a much lower cost.

Batteries not charging from the generator could be a couple of things. The first question to ask is there anything working off of the generator, such as the microwave? Do the batteries charge from shore power? If not then the fix could be as simple as a tripped circuit breaker on the generator. It may also be a faulty transfer switch.

One other thing that you should be aware of, do you know how to read tire date codes (i.e. tire DOT codes) on the sidewall of the tire. Since your coach is 24 years old, it should have had 3 to 5 tire replacements by now (5 to 7 year intervals). If your tires are older than 7 or so years old, you may want to replace them before you take your family out on their 1st journey for their safety. Typically, RV tires "age out" before they "wear out".
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #3

Go on rvservicereviews.com and click on your area to find independent mobile repair service
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
You shouldn't expect that a mobile RV repair service will be any cheaper than an RV dealer. They're just more convenient.

A neighbor in our RV park on the SE FL coast had a black tank blockage. The RV guy came out, worked 40 minutes and charged him $250.

Unless the fix is as simple as resetting a circuit breaker, expect to pay $1000 to $1500 for each AC (the high end includes new circuit boards and thermostats, often needed for older RV's).

I've helped a handyman in our park replace 7 AC's so far this year. The two of us can take 2-4 hours (4-8 man-hours) to swap out an AC. The longer time includes the new control board and thermostat. He only charges $50/hour, where a mobile RV service may charge up to $150/hour with time starting at his business.

A new Norcold might be in the $4-5K range plus installation. These fridges are a known fire hazard and the fix is to add a high temperature safety switch. If the switch gets activated then, for the most part, the fridge requires replacement. Some people install a residential refrigerator (along with more batteries and an inverter). This gets rid of the pesky absorption refrigerator at a much lower cost.

Batteries not charging from the generator could be a couple of things. The first question to ask is there anything working off of the generator, such as the microwave? Do the batteries charge from shore power? If not then the fix could be as simple as a tripped circuit breaker on the generator. It may also be a faulty transfer switch.

One other thing that you should be aware of, do you know how to read tire date codes (i.e. tire DOT codes) on the sidewall of the tire. Since your coach is 24 years old, it should have had 3 to 5 tire replacements by now (5 to 7 year intervals). If your tires are older than 7 or so years old, you may want to replace them before you take your family out on their 1st journey for their safety. Typically, RV tires "age out" before they "wear out".
Hi Norwood, thanks for your reply, i do know that RV repairs are not cheap, but paying $165/hour plus taxes, like me a bit too much. That's what they asked at a RV shop near my place. i do prefer having somebody local helping me out that i can establish a relationship and can help me in the future also as problems arise. I am willing to replace the AC's if needed, just that bringing the rv to the shop and leaving it there for a week, they can do whatever they want with it and i can't see if they did what they say to be done and paying God knows what prices. Unfortunately, honesty seen to be a thing of the past, been there done that, not falling for it again.
I have been researching the Norcold and it is problematic and expensive, will go with a 19CF Samsung like many others have done, just that gonna need help replacing it.
Don`t know what's wrong with the generator, alternator charge good, generator doesn't, will have to wait for some help.
Tires are Michelin 22.5 from 18 months ago, if they get old, i always can use them for any of my semi trucks or trailers (own 5 of them) that also use 22.5 low profile and replace them with fresh ones.
I am willing to pay for the repairs, just not like to be robbed out of my hard earned money.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Go on rvservicereviews.com and click on your area to find independent mobile repair service
Thanks for your reply TXTiger, i just found in Google a mobile repair service 1.5 miles from my place, sent him a message, hope he can come back to me tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome.
You have gotten some good info so far.
I hope this local repair person works out for you.
Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #8

[QUOTE=MSHappyCampers;6062926]Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! [/QUOTE
Thanks for your message. This is our first rv although we are acustom to be traveling for been a over the road truck driver for 44 years, i was blessed that my wife and my dogs could traveling with me most of the time, been at to four months on the road at a time traveling all the way to Anchorage, AK. Today i own the company with 5 trucks and have a little more time to go on the road for pleasure. We are planning to do that. We love this country and the many places to enjoy it have.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome.
You have gotten some good info so far.
I hope this local repair person works out for you.
Good luck.
Hope that too, got an appt for next week, will let you all know.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m staying at a RV park near Collier and Tamiami. There are several mobile mechanics that service the coaches here. If the RV tech you have scheduled doesn’t work out, PM me and I’ll pass on the info for these techs. I have not used their services yet, but I do have an appointment scheduled for early next week to have my front shocks replaced.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I’m staying at a RV park near Collier and Tamiami. There are several mobile mechanics that service the coaches here. If the RV tech you have scheduled doesn’t work out, PM me and I’ll pass on the info for these techs. I have not used their services yet, but I do have an appointment scheduled for early next week to have my front shocks replaced.
I will, thanks for your help. Let me know how much it will charge you for the shocks. i will have to go that way too in my monaco.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #12

re: MH shocks. I am pleased with the price and delivery from https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index...de=make&type=M
I replaced all 4 in about 4-6 hrs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #13

I have not used them yet but I hear Tom's Mobile rv repair is pretty fair in the Naples area.
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs