Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #1

RV residential fridge

I just bought a motorhome with a Whirlpool fridge. When on the road for 8 hours, should I run the generator to keep it cool?
JJRobson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello

What model motorhome, is there an inverter..

So much depends on the set up and options..

My old MH was updated with inverter, Solar and DC-DC moor charge circuit.. So I can drive and run fridge and a few items while on the road if need be..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRobson56 View Post
I just bought a motorhome with a Whirlpool fridge. When on the road for 8 hours, should I run the generator to keep it cool?
Yup, and run your roof A/C too..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most RVs with a res refrigerator have an inverter to run it while not on shore power. What motorhome do you have?
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #5

Most modern res refers built for RVs have enough insulation to stay coolish several hours without needing power. If the house is cool, the refer will be cool, but your beer might be a tad less cold then you like when you arrive at your evenings destination. You can always pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We need to know the year make and model, do have an inverter, and what size is your battery bank. Most motorhomes being sold today, with a residential refer, have an inverter that powers the refer from the coach batteries. While you're driving, the inverter is getting power from the batteries and the batteries are being recharged by the engine alternator. There is no need to run the generator unless you need to run the roof air.

Even if you stop for a break for a few hours, up to maybe 10-12 hours, the inverter will continue to supply power to the refer. Keep in mind, the refer doesn't run all the time, it cycles on and off as needed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #7

NO ! Your alternator will keep the battery's charged that the invertor runs off of
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #8

I have an all electric RV
6 gel cell house batteries with about 600+ amp-hrs
My Samsung 23 cu ft residential fridge will work just fine for about 3 days unplugged and parked with just the 3000 watt inverter running.
While driving my 240 amp alternator will charge everything easy.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #9

As Mr Ted says. If things are working properly your alternator should provide enough power to your inverter to keep your residential refrigerator running.the alternator should ALSO have enough energy to charge your house batteries.

The most common reasons to run the generator is to run the roof top air conditioner. Or other high power devices like the microwave(assuming it isn't already powered by the inverter)
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most RV’s have things that will and will not run off the inverter.

That is true if your motor is running or not. But you will use battery if your engineer is not running.

On my rig my microwave, refrigerator, and most outlets run from inverted AC voltage. If the engine is running then no generator needed.

My air conditioners, electric fireplace, and electric water heater do not run from inverted power. To use them I have to run the generator or be connected to shore power.

That is the way the coach is designed and wired up.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:51 AM   #11

Suggest you get a thermometer with two or more remote sensors. Place a sensor in the refrigerator section and another in the freezer. Start on your trip and observe the temperatures. You will learn how long you do not need to power the refrigerator.

While boondocking one time, I ran generator until about 10:00pm. Stopped generator and turned off inverter to be sure I had enough 12vdc to operate my CPAP overnight. The refrigerator temperature increased from 35° to 39° which is still safe. The outdoor temperature did not get below 80°.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #12

No need to run the genes unless you need roof A/C. Otherwise, the alternator and inverter will keep the Whirlpool, whirling away on the road.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
The OP has a Thor Challenger.

To the OP, run it. That way you have the fridge cold, your MH cool and full batteries when you stop for the night. Unless you’ve invested a lot of money in solar, your batteries won’t be fully charged when you stop.

Not sure why it matters what kind of MH the OP has….the principle is the same if it’s gas, diesel, 23 ft or 45 ft. But that information is available if you click on the OP name.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
The OP has a Thor Challenger.
How do you know this? He has only made 1 post and has not listed the MH, the year of MH, inverter or anything else (other than make of RR) including nothing in his profile.

If he has an inverter/charger, he does not need to run the gennie to charge the bats. The alternator does that and the inverter runs the RR off the batts.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge