Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

RV Service Protection

Hi Guys;

Any experience with rv service protection contracts.? I am purchasing a 2004 country coach intrigue ovation. The coach has about 95000 on it, and is in very good condition. Still, it is a 2004. The quote I got on the service contract was for 7800.00 for 2 years. It covers the engine, trans, drive axle, suspension, steering, brakes, seals, water heater, fresh water, sanitation, ac, oven, and a bit more items. 27 items in all. I understand that its a roll of the dice, but I would love some feedback from some of you more experienced RV'ers.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
collecter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I self-insured when I purchased my 2002 Monaco Windsor back in 2003. Have saved thousands of dollars in premiums that it would have cost me especially once the coach got to a certain age.

Also make sure as to EXACTLY what the contract covers and EXACTLY what it does NOT cover.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Talk to Good Sam about their program. We pay monthly, not a lump sum up front. Over 6 seasons we are about "even". Though some of the fine print causes claim conflicts, they were fair on 3 big dollar items: Norcold reefer, AC/heat pump, and Hydro-hot replacement. These were on a 2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus that we bought at the end of 2010. Be careful of a pay up front plan, you just don't know if they will be there in the future. I learned that the hard way with a service contract on an early model flat screen TV.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:16 AM   #4

This contract is not a pay up front deal... and again, I know it could go either way. Maybe I see fitst year outlay, and make a decision. I know I can get burned either way. I can also shop around... but I'm sure the better the monthly price, the worse the coverage.

Dave
Old 11-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #5

I purchased a 5 year service contract when we purchased our 2004 4 years ago. It has more than paid for itself. We paid $5K for the 5 years. I am looking to get another one when this one expires. The price you have been quoted sounds very high to me. I would look at the one associated with FMCA.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The quote I got on the service contract was for 7800.00 for 2 years.
Is that 0 deductible per repair?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased a 5 year plan for our 2011 motor home when we purchased it new from GS. It cost $5000 and was a total waste of money. They dinged me for finding problems said the contract did not cover determining what the problem was.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #8

I purchased a 4-yr service contract through CoachNet including the consequential damages clause for $6,000. The deductible is $200. CoachNet Roadside & Towing is included in this price. This was for an 04 Newmar Dutch Star with 64k miles purchased in August 2016. Of course, you paid about $35K more for your coach, so that must be factored. I just saw the "sister ship" to yours on rvtrader. Wow, what a gorgeous coach!

A class A motorhome, especially a DP, is a complex system comprised of many expensive components which can, and many times will, fail. The question you must answer is, "Can I write a check for an engine rebuild or, say, a trans failure? Don't get me wrong, it was not easy to fork over $6k upfront, but I sleep easier now.

Best of luck on your new coach.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #9

I have to say... what am amazing resource this forum is. You simply ask a question, and miraculously, you get honest answers from non biased folks. Thanks for the information. This plan is a 100 dollar deductible. They were asking for 10% up front , with a monthly payment to follow. I will definetly shop around. I think my biggest fear would be a huge repair such as an engine or trans. I had mentioned the motor has about 95k. I know these are long lasting engines, but what is a realistic life span? The motor is the cat 505 hp. Assuming it was well cared for. I did get a very positive rv inspection on the coach.

Hey Sandy, which coach did you see? I did get mine off of rv trader.

Thanks again guys

Dave
Old 11-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Does anyone know if there are plans that cover specifically and only the engine and drive train?
Old 11-13-2016, 06:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Frankly when it comes to Cummins engines and Allison transmissions if a problem is going to occur with either it will be within the initial warranty period for each.

My ISC had some seals, etc. replaced under warranty within the first year by the original owner prior to my purchase. I have not had any major problem with the engine or transmission. I have had a leaking lift pump replaced recently and two coolant shut-off valves replaced due to service people breaking the shut-off when changing the coolant filter. Nothing with the transmission other than switching over to TranSyd and new high capacity filters replaced a few years back. That was done after having about 75,000 clicks on the transmission.

There is a Cummins engine which is the ISX 650 that is prone to internal failures. If I owned one of those I would definitely have an extended warranty to cover that engine. That cost can run 30K-40K.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post

Does anyone know if there are plans that cover specifically and only the engine and drive train?
Yes....look for Power Train warranties.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by collecter56 View Post
Hey Sandy, which coach did you see? I did get mine off of rv trader.

Thanks again guys

Dave

Dave,

This one: http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004...TION-119604354

Here is another: 2004 Country Coach Intirigue Ovation, Leland NC - - RVtrader.com
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #14

My two cents: Talk to the service advisors where you regularly have your rig serviced and ask them who they think is the easiest to deal with. Some of the companies are a real pain in the #$@% and give you the run around on every issue. The service advisors should give you the real scoop!

Tags
service