Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 12:18 PM   #1

RV Shade? Getting hot here in Texas!

While we are used to it being hot here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, hitting abo0ve 100 for several days in June is a little soon. We want to try and somehow shade our Berkshire but cannot really build a port, considering we are parked in the drive.

Has anyone ever tried one of these things:

https://www.shaderv.com/

We saw one once and it looked pretty cool, as in helping to block the direct sun from the roof of another Class A (not that it doesn't also look like something out of Star Ways!)

Curious how much of a hassle they are to put in place and take down. We travel at least once a month...

Thanks

Keith, near DFW airport
2017 Forest River Berkshire
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithQ View Post
While we are used to it being hot here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, hitting abo0ve 100 for several days in June is a little soon. We want to try and somehow shade our Berkshire but cannot really build a port, considering we are parked in the drive.

Has anyone ever tried one of these things:

https://www.shaderv.com/

We saw one once and it looked pretty cool, as in helping to block the direct sun from the roof of another Class A (not that it doesn't also look like something out of Star Ways!)

Curious how much of a hassle they are to put in place and take down. We travel at least once a month...

Thanks

Keith, near DFW airport

2017 Forest River Berkshire

Looks good except I would wonder if it would affect the rooftop AC units if you have them.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I’ve never seen one of these. The concept is good as it allows air to circulate under it. I would like to know what amount of wind it can withstand.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I’ve never seen one of these. The concept is good as it allows air to circulate under it. I would like to know what amount of wind it can withstand.
if you click on the link and go 1/2 to 3/4 way down it states 70mph winds along with other specs.

Right there on the main page for me.
ps they are on drugs for a 22' cover costing a grand.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #5

A friend bought this set up and it turned out to be a total waste of time and money. We're here in Texas and he found that this cover held the exhaust from his AC units and made cooling the inside of his motorhome worse than it was prior to installation. Think about it.....the discharge from the AC units has no place to dissipate and is held under that dome.

Oh, and we won't even go into to the set-up / disassembly woes.
matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #6

I can just see that heading down the road in a big windstorm, no matter what the company says. And for a decent size MH, at least $1200. Maybe a Magna Shade over the front window would cut down some of the heat, at about half the price of the over the roof setup?
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
One listed in the classified, owner is in Texas. Maybe ask them?
https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/s...2fshade&cat=23
Old 06-27-2022, 04:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Too bad they didn't use solar screen material. It would let the AC exhaust & heat out, while blocking 80% of the sun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-28-2022, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I can just see that heading down the road in a big windstorm, no matter what the company says. And for a decent size MH, at least $1200. Maybe a Magna Shade over the front window would cut down some of the heat, at about half the price of the over the roof setup?
I never thought they were intended for use while in motion. I would only use one parked in my drive between trips.

And as far as using an AC unit while the shades are in place, I imagine if you are blocking 30-40 degrees of heat, the unit would run less often anyway.

This is just one idea. We are thinking of where (and how) we could put up some kind of car port (RV port?) in the backyard, which would likely be more expensive than the shades but definitely more permanent and less hassle. Far more to consider there however.

KJQ
KeithQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithQ View Post
Don't know about a cover. But I can suggest Everbilt 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation, about $55 for 48" x 25' at Home Depot.

We were in Las Vegas this time last year. Over 110 degrees at noon and front window facing west. Registered 95+ at the drivers' seat with both AC's going and about 75 at the back.

After cutting the reflective insulation to fit the windows (easy with scissors) and installing it with velcro Command strips, the temps dropped to 80 in the front and 70 in the back. With a couple of small fans going, it leveled out to about 75 front to back.

Have the insulation rolled up and stowed in the basement now for when we're camping in similar heat.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcoman View Post
A friend bought this set up and it turned out to be a total waste of time and money. We're here in Texas and he found that this cover held the exhaust from his AC units and made cooling the inside of his motorhome worse than it was prior to installation. Think about it.....the discharge from the AC units has no place to dissipate and is held under that dome.

Oh, and we won't even go into to the set-up / disassembly woes.
I can't see it working very well either. Pretty certain it would cause rooftop air conditioner efficiency to drop. But I would think that it might help if the different sections were strategically installed. For instance, leaving a gap at the condenser discharge end of the a/c maybe?
Old 07-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the videos on applying the covers. Looks like a real pain. I would also be concerned with them causing recirculation of the roof A/C units plus the high cost of the covers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm exhausted from just watching the set-up video. If you got proficient at it, looks like it could be done in less than an hour. If you were to run the ac while it is installed the hot air from the ac would recurculate and kill the efficency. It would be counter productive in cooling your RV.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:46 AM   #14

I find that windshield shade screens work very well. Window awnings also help a lot. Some people I know like all their cabinets and skylights with reflectex.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas