Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's your checkbook so do what you feel comfortable with. Personally I would just keep what I have and make some updates in order of importance as I go along. Don't how big a hit yo would take with the depreciation and all but might just be cheaper to hang on to what you have even I you did all the updates minus the full body paint. You would never recover the price for having that done. Good luck in your decision.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #16

The same thing happens with cars, trucks, cell phones, all electronics, etc. I always weigh the improvements. If they add up to be of great value to me then I bite the bullet and trade. If not then I keep what I have. Usually safely changes are weighed more than cosmetic changes and are more likely to tip the scales toward a newer unit...but cosmetic changes not too much.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #17

.….we will always be eternally behind the curve
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
I just went to the Detroit RV this past weekend in Novi, MI. General RV had a 2014 Coachmen Mirada 35LS on the floor. I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL which is basically the same coach. They have improved almost all of the things I do not like with my coach like making the fireplace standard, fixing the furnace ducting in the guest bath, changed the way the tv mounts in the bedroom to allow usage of the space behind the tv, additional cabinets in the driving area, DVD player dedicated to external tv, swing away external doors, improved split door engine access, standard full body paint, improved larger refrigerator, change to stainless fridge and microwave, recessed stove mounting, a much larger and accessible shower, and using tile backsplash versus mirror behind the stove. These updates almost had me opening the checkbook as they take a very good coach and make it much better for about what I paid for mine. I spent quite some time with the Coachmen rep who went over all the changes with me as well as explained how they decided to make the changes based on feedback from customers like me.

How do you handle it when I you see incremental or sometimes even exponential improvements to the same coach you just bought the year before? Do you kick yourself for not waiting a year? Try to make the same improvements yourself? Eat the depreciation loss and buy the new one? Hope you never see the new one on the road or in a park?

I just checked and my local General RV dealer has the same unit I saw at the show. Help talk me off the ledge here as I don't want to do something stupid!
If you trade, next year you will go through the same thing with the 2015's
Best advise, Quit going to the shows, they are cluster you know what anyway.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #19

Do you live in your coach full time or just travel in it. A friend of mine remodeled his whole coach, flooring, countertops, even a dishwasher, they just travel in it. Then he and his wife went to an rv show and she FELL IN LOVE with the new one. Well, to make a long story short, he went into debt and bought it. Nothing but some troubles since he got it. Old one was in great condition. Don't buy with your heart. We have an 06 hr endeavor and the new floor is buckling. We went looking at some new ones and I like mine better, so new flooring, valances, reupholster chairs, and new honeycomb blinds, I know it will look like new and we won't be out money. Think, and look before you leap.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #20

I love the guys that buy the depreciation out of new rigs. I like an old rig gives me the ability to brag about how little I paid for it and I can do anything to it. Everything is an improvement. Where with new rigs you have to cover the seats, rugs and don't run the generator so you can maintain the resale value.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #21

Too bad coaches aren't like electronics where not only do they get better each year...they get cheaper!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Just think.... If you would have waited another year all the enjoyment you would have lost out on.
Enjoy when and while you can.... so many things can happen between today and tomorrow!
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You bought the coach based on certain things. If the new coach has all of the stuff to make you happy then decide on whether or not the hit on depreciation is worth it. I bought a 2005 Silverado duramax truck. All the bells and whistles except I hated the mirrors. I got such a good buy on that particular truck I decided I could live with the mirrors. the 2006 models came out and they had he 6 speed Allison. I test drove one and the 6 speed was going to make about 1 to 2 miles per gallon difference on mileage. I had made such a good deal on the 2005 and GM had a zero interest promotion going on that after the trade my payment went up by83 cents. The new truck had regular truck mirrors which I loved. My wife now tells everyone I traded trucks just to get the mirrors. I am fine with that idea. At my age I probably will not spend the money again for a new truck. I really like my truck especially the mirrors. If I had kept the 2005 I would still be complaining about the car style mirrors. If the money is workable buy what you want and brag about all the good things in your new coach instead of fretting about the things you don't like. At the cost of labor and individual items I would be surprised if you could upgrade your coach for what the new one would cost. Depending on how good a deal you can work out.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
We have a 2008 National Pacifica. National is no longer in business, so we won't have this problem. Seriously, when we see something in another motorhome we wish we had, we update ourselves. We have had the RV for 1 year now and have changed out the couch to a reclining couch. Just had to look around for the right one, bought it at furniture store, took out the center section (for drinks, etc) and the two recliners slide together. It is perfect for us. Also things like tvs, dvd players, etc. Easy to upgrade yourself. We have replaced both tvs inside and added on in the basement. Husband made a nice swing out using a store bought. And those little things that bug you, we had some of that too. Lighting was our issue. Could never see inside my pantry so I had a little flashlight I kept there. My husband bought those LED strips and put them up along the top of each shelf. No more flashlight. Did the same above counter in galley. My favorite is the LED strip he inserted into the large awning. It stays put, we just plug it in when the awning goes out at the corner. It even has a remote control to turn it on/off. So if we go inside and leave them one, you just use the remote if you decide to not go back out. Small stuff that makes us happy! I say upgrade. Go the RV shows, get the ideas you like, then do the upgrades yourself. Have fun out there.
RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #25

OP you bought your rig because it met all your wants and needs at the time. Your currant rig has the bugs worked out and I would assume set up with all your gear and stuff thats important to you and the little lady. Can't for the life of me understand why you would even think of starting over. Especially with motor homes and some of the "new" problems that can rear their ugly head with no end in site with resolution either from the manufacturer or dealer. Smell the roses (or black top) with what you got and think about trading when your use demands change, you full time, or your currant rig starts to fall apart. Good Luck with the buying demons!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Yep, we envy all the newer rigs with slideouts and bigger engines......but not enough to replace our trusty steed.

This is after 12 years of RV shows since the purchase.

Upgrade the rig where you can. Use it whenever you can.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #27

Well, I spent the morning in my coach. While the new one has some cool features, most of the ones I really care about I can do myself. Thanks everyone for the input!!!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #28

For me I look at those nice new ones and then I look at mine and the fact it is completely paid off makes it easy to just walk away from them and fix mine up a little. I cant afford a new one anyway, mine has alot of life left in it especially if I take good care of it. We enjoy it.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote